BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
Daniel_cl

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: movistar
Default I erased some pictures, then rhey appeared again!!

Please Login to Remove!

Hello, I have this problem, I hope somebody can help me please.
Some days ago I took some pictures with my BB 8900. Then I connected the BB to my PC using the desktop manager. I went to the images folder, selected the pics I wanted to erase from the BB, then right button of the mouse and clicked on "cut". Then I "paste" them in a folder in my PC. I checked my BB and the pics were gone, they were not in the BB anymore. So far so good.
Yesterday, I was using the internet explorer on my BB, and I accidentaly clicked a button (don't know which), and it took me to the images viewer on my BB, where the first thing I saw were the pictures that were supposed to be erased. There was a letter or a number in the search box (of the image viewer), but I don't remember which letter or number it was.
I thought to myself "this is funny, I'm sure I erased these pics!". So, I closed the picture viewer, went to the main screen (to start from zero), then went to "images" (with confidence, absolutely sure that I was going to see the "erased" pictures again), but I couldn't find the pictures!! I tried everything (at least, everything I know being a non-expert). I opened every folder, every application, I tried typing every letter and key in the search box of the image viewer, etc... nothing. The pictures were gone.
Sure, it's great they are gone, that's what I wanted from the beggining, right? But, what if they appear again, all of a sudden? what if I send my BB to technical service and they see the pictures? I don't want that.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Daniel.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:15 AM   #2
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

I'm not sure what you're describing exactly, but one thing that may be happening is the thumbnails actually stay if you do things from the PC. So if you edit a picture like cropping it from the PC, the thumbnail stays as the old picture.

Since you deleted the picture using the PC and not from the phone, it might still have the old thumbnail. What you should do is copy the file to the PC and delete the picture from the phone menu. Then it'll remove the thumbnail as well.

Now, you should just delete the thumbnail file - thumbs.db and let the phone rebuild it. That should fix it.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
Daniel_cl

Thanks for the input monkeypaw.
How do I delete the thumbnail file? Could you please tell me how, step by step, if possible? And after erasing the thumbs, is there a way to check that the thumbnails were actually erased and gone forever?
Thank you
Old 07-03-2009, 11:09 AM   #4
dumbnative
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330m
PIN: 3093D414
Carrier: Sprint

Wirelessly posted

When u open up the media folder click the app button over the pictures icon and select explore. Navigate to the folder that they were in and click the app button again, select "show hidden" that will bring up the "thumbnail" file. Go to it and delete it. Not sure how to check ur work, but it should be good after that. Good luck!

Last edited by dumbnative; 07-03-2009 at 11:11 AM..
Old 07-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
Daniel_cl

Thanks dumbnative. I just did that. When I selected "show hidden", it brought up the thumbnail file (BBthumbs.dat). I wanted to see the content of that file, so I selected it, but apparently it was empty ("can not visualize the file" message). Then I did what you said: went back and erased the thumbnail file.
I hope that's all. Thank you!
Closed Thread