BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
shahidhaque

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Lightbulb Syncing BES and Novell Groupwise with iCal and Address Book!

Please Login to Remove!

I would like to solicit ideas on some rather complex syncing issues I am having.

Like most of you, I am a dedicated Mac owner. I use iCal and Address Book as my primary programs for calendars and contacts. However, I also like to keep my handheld and my work PC in sync with the same information. Up until now, I used an iPhone and my work had Outlook, and all was fine. I was able to keep all calendars and contacts in sync between my Mac, my handheld, and my work PC.

I switched jobs, and I now my work uses Novell Groupwise. I also got a Blackberry which syncs to the Novell server using BES. My goal is to be able to correctly sync calendar events and contacts between iCal and Address Book --> Blackberry --> Novell Groupwise.

Calendar

I ultimately got this working in a roundabout way.

Neither Missing Sync nor PocketMac would sync my calendar to the Blackberry no matter what I tried. I tried wireless syncing with the BES server both on and off. Either way, it would transfer entries to iCal but would not actually sync any entries from iCal to the Blackberry, even though the programs both showed that the data was being sent. I was never able to figure out why this was happening.

Ultimately, I decided to use Google Calendar as an intermediary. I got Spanning Sync for Mac, which syncs iCal and Google Calendar. I also got Google Sync for the Blackberry, which keeps the internal calendar in sync with Google Calendar. Although it is a lot of steps, it seems to work fine and I am ultimately able to keep calendar events synced for all purposes.

To reiterate, the end result is: iCal --> Google Calendar --> Blackberry --> Novell Groupwise.

Any better ideas? Any idea why I would be unable to sync data from iCal to the Blackberry using Missing Sync or PocketMac (I did turn off wireless syncing for BES)?

Contacts

This is the more serious problem I am having. My contacts data is getting screwy as I try to sync between Address Book --> Blackberry --> Novell Groupwise. I seem unable to fix it.

When I first used Missing Sync, it correctly synced my contacts to the Blackberry, which then synced to the Novell Server. However, when I later made edits to some of the contacts in Address Book and overwrote the contacts on the Blackberry, I expected them to sync up properly in Novell Groupwise. Instead, I wound up with lots of doubles and with other issues, like certain contacts dropping the middle initials of the contacts.

I have tried to go in and delete my address book in Novell Groupwise and start all over, but it appears that the bad contacts keep coming back. I have deleted all of the contacts from Novell and then overwritten the Blackberry with the correct contacts from my Mac, and then hours later I see that the contacts database is somehow screwed up again.

Perhaps the Novell server is somehow saving the bad contacts even though I deleted them from my end, and is syncing them back to the Blackberry.

Or, perhaps Novell is inherently unable to correctly read these contacts, and what is happening is that the good contacts database is being imported into Novell wrongly, and then Novell syncs the corrupt database back to the Blackberry.

In any case, I would really like to be able to keep the same contacts database in sync between Address Book --> Blackberry --> Novell Groupwise.

Can anyone provide some ideas on how to resolve this? Thanks!
Closed Thread