Old 02-01-2008, 03:07 AM   #1
eddieb
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Very VERY strange call log behavior

Please Login to Remove!

For the second time in probably about two weeks, I looked at my call log and it showed 6-7 entries for calls to seemingly random people, but I NEVER made the calls. And no, I didn't have the phone in my pocket unlocked and it accidently made a bunch of calls. That's what I thought probably happened the first time I saw this behavior from my call log. But this time my phone was sitting on a table when these calls showed up in my call log.

But it gets stranger - when I looked into the history of one of the calls, it showed four different calls made to that person over the course of the last two days. But this is the first time this showed up in my call log. And several of the other calls have dates from 3-4 days ago. Still stranger - the phone numbers that show on these call log entries weren't even the right phone numbers for the people that were supposedly called!! They were another phone number for another person in my address book. One of the phone numbers for someone supposedly called was my own home phone number. And a few of the calls had no phone number associated with them at all.

And even stranger still - I have a standard ringtone I use, but I have a custom ringtone - the same ringtone - for my wife, our home, and a 2nd residence we have. How I found this weird call log thing was because when my wife called me, it didn't use her custom ringtone. When I went to investigate why, that's when I found the phone log issue. Then I investigated the ringtone issue. In the exceptions under profile, the three exceptions I already mentioned above were there for the custom ringtone I use for them (even though it didn't use it when my wife called), but also added to that custom ringtone exception list were 3 of the people in the call log I supposedly called. I went to their address book records and sure enough, there was the custom ringtone listed in the address book. Huh?! This makes absolutely no sense to me. So I deleted the ringtone from all 3. When I went back to the exceptions list in Profiles, not only were they gone from it, but so were all my other three for my wife, etc. There were no exceptions listed at all anymore.

Has anybody even remotely experienced anything like any of this?? I know this is hard to fathom that this stuff actually happened, but trust me, it did. Very strange indeed.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:14 AM   #2
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Very Strange, is it possible that someone has access to your Blackberry when you are not using it? ... And to answer your question, I have never seen this type of behavior from my Blackberry.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
ltj13
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have never heard of a BB doing that. I think you need an old priest and a young priest. Repeat after me: "The power of Christ compels you. The power of Christ compels you."
Old 02-01-2008, 11:31 AM   #4
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltj13 View Post
I have never heard of a BB doing that. I think you need an old priest and a young priest. Repeat after me: "The power of Christ compels you. The power of Christ compels you."
LOL!
Old 02-01-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

I've seen a number of threads recently about various models randomly placing calls. Must be a relatively new but not uncommon issue.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:33 PM   #6
breakerfall
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: EAPPLE!
Carrier: VZW

I say set a password and lock your BB...
Options, Security, General, Password - Enabled

(and see if it continues to place calls without your knowledge)
Old 02-01-2008, 02:51 PM   #7
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Good grief guys!!

I think your BB is a little confused. Can you try a battery pull (while the device is on) and see if the content of the log changes?

How is your memory? Menu>Options>Status (What is your file free?) ***Do this before you pull the battery***

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 02-01-2008, 07:55 PM   #8
Worm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: All
Carrier: Plead the fifth.

I would say you have a corrupt Phone Call log or Address Book database. I'm not a 100% on how a BB handles calls from people already in the Call Log but I would initially "clear" Phone Call Log via BB destop, backup and restore, advanced. If this doesn't resolve ringtone mismatch issue when they're redone then look to backup the current restore the Address Book from an older backup, if available. You can then open the current backup (.ipd) with notepad and manually add any between the backup and current.

cheers

Worm

edit - p.s after Thatzmister2u's suggestions

Last edited by Worm; 02-01-2008 at 08:02 PM..
Old 02-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #9
eddieb

As someone else mentioned here, I have also seen a few other threads talking about random calls placed, so I think it is a problem - as strange as it may be. Locking my phone with a password i don't think will do anything because I am convinced these calls were never really placed.

Two reasons. First, what 3 of these calls did to the custom ringtones of those contact records isn't explained by that. Nor are the bogus phone numbers in the call record. Second, upon further review, two of the calls were actually calls placed TO my phone. One supposedly came from the number you call a drugstore to automatically renew prescriptions. You can't get a human on this phone number. I haven't called this number in over two years and it's never called me.

It's pretty obvious these calls were never made and it's some kind of bug. I didn't think anyone would have an answer to this problem due to its weirdness, but I thought it was worth a try. It's easy enough to live with if it happens again. If I figure anything out on this, I'll let everyone know. Thanks for your responses.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:00 PM   #10
six attack

A very similar thing happened to me a few weeks ago.

One of my friends sent me a test asking why I sent him "a million text messages". I had no idea what he was talking about. When I looked at my phone log, there was evidence of about 15 text messages over a 10 minute period to 4 random people in my phone book. There is no way that anyone else could have gotten near my phone as the ten minute period was during my commute to work in the morning. Even stranger, some of my speed-dials got jumbled.

The phone was in my jacket pocket where there typically isn't a high likelihood of pressure causing unintentional button presses.

No problems since.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:16 PM   #11
eddieb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm View Post
I would say you have a corrupt Phone Call log or Address Book database. I'm not a 100% on how a BB handles calls from people already in the Call Log but I would initially "clear" Phone Call Log via BB destop, backup and restore, advanced. If this doesn't resolve ringtone mismatch issue when they're redone then look to backup the current restore the Address Book from an older backup, if available. You can then open the current backup (.ipd) with notepad and manually add any between the backup and current.

cheers

Worm

edit - p.s after Thatzmister2u's suggestions
Good post. I think I will do this when I get the chance. I have a Mac and use Mark/Space's Missing Sync program to sync data. I've had some goofy things happen when I've synced recently. A corrupt DB somewhere on my phone seems more logical than anything else I can think of as far as what might cause this problem.
Closed Thread