BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
JoeJack101
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9810
Carrier: AT&T
Question Is the Blackberry Torch worth it?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm thinking about getting a new phone. I currently use the Blackberry Bold 9700, and I was thinking about getting the Blackberry Torch or an iPhone. Is the Torch worth it? Is it a major improvement over the Bold 9700 or not really? What about an iPhone? Would an iPhone be better or faster?

Currently, it seems that when my friends and I need to find quick info such as movie times, book tickets, get restaurant reviews, etc that they are able to do it more quickly on their iPhone's than I can on my current blackberry. Faster processor maybe? Better internet browser maybe?

Any/all advice appreciated.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
sid_kid
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: Is the Blackberry Torch worth it?

I actually just upgraded to a Torch today. I previously had a 9700 and my wife has an iPhone 4. I think about the only thing that is "faster" on her iPhone over my 9700 was web browsing, and even then it seemed to only depend on the site, and what browser I was using (Opera, or BB Browser). Having only had about 12 hours experience with my 9800 the only thing I can tell you is that I do really like the feel and experience of the Torch more than the 9700. As far as the Apple/RIM debate, I just personally prefer BBs over iPhones, and definitely think that a lot of it comes down to a matter of personal preference. I like my wife's iPhone and it seems to suit her personality and lifestyle very well, I have just always preferred my BB. One possible reason for my preferring the BB is maybe just that it isn't an iPhone...lol...

Either way I think you will be happy with the choice you make as both phones are excellent...good luck!
Old 04-09-2011, 08:09 AM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Depends on how you use your device and what you want and need to do.

If you are looking for consumer things, as you described, you'd probably be happier with an iPhone.

I needed a business device so I came back to the BB after using the iPhone for a year..

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 04-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
Rockefella
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular, the new AT&T

I upgraded from Bold to Torch. It was the biggest BB improvement so far, in my opinion. For one thing, the screen is so much bigger. Second, touch is nice.

I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade to Torch if I were you.

As for iPhone v BB, my wife has an iPhone and LOVES it to death. Me, not so much. My BB was being repaired and I had to borrow my wife's iPhone for a day. I was ready to chuck the thing out the window. Too many screen button presses to do simple things, like open the phone book or calendar. Also, glass keyboard just doesn't do it for me.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
Mandel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9981
Carrier: Orange FR & Etisalat AE

I own both, for two different lines, of course.

The iPhone is "fun" and "sexy". The BB is incredibly useful. The major improvement on previous BB's is certainly the large touch screen combined with the physical keyboard. The latter allows me for much faster typing, with a good part without looking which a virtual keyboard of course cannot achieve.

If I were to have to opt for one only, I would go for the BB Torch.

Please share your decision, and good luck
Old 04-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
kriswilliams03
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: stuck in the balloon
Carrier: AT & T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
I upgraded from Bold to Torch. It was the biggest BB improvement so far, in my opinion. For one thing, the screen is so much bigger. Second, touch is nice.

I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade to Torch if I were you.

As for iPhone v BB, my wife has an iPhone and LOVES it to death. Me, not so much. My BB was being repaired and I had to borrow my wife's iPhone for a day. I was ready to chuck the thing out the window. Too many screen button presses to do simple things, like open the phone book or calendar. Also, glass keyboard just doesn't do it for me.
Same situation in my house. I had iPhone for about a month before I downgraded it basically to an iTouch, but my hubby loves his iPhone and wants the next generation when it comes out. I went back to the original Bold, then the 9700. I love the combination of the touchscreen and physical keyboard on the Torch! Bring on Torch 2!
Old 04-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #7
sid_kid
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: at&t

The one thing I forgot to mention was how awesome it is to have the physical keyboard when you don't want to mess with the touch screen keyboard...
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Last edited by sid_kid; 04-09-2011 at 10:55 PM..
Old 04-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
davemack
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A

I've never used an iPhone, BUT, I have and use an iPod Touch! It is basically an iPhone that doesn't make phone calls to a cell tower. But it does everything else including WiFi and BlueTooth so I can connect and get my email, download and run ALL the same apps the iPhone uses, and works virtually identically. (My wife gave it to me for Xmas)

Like has already been said, much of it has to do with personal preference. And then, what you need it for. That said, I really like the Torch over my BB Curve. Much faster and for me, I just have to have a real keyboard. I keep trying that touch-screen but I just don't like it.

You probably have to just play with it for a bit to know.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:58 PM   #9
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

We have over 40 Torches at the office.

I love mine.

Try it for a week and decide if it is right for you.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #10
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJack101 View Post
Currently, it seems that when my friends and I need to find quick info such as movie times, book tickets, get restaurant reviews, etc that they are able to do it more quickly on their iPhone's than I can on my current blackberry. Faster processor maybe? Better internet browser maybe?
No doubt the internet browser on an iPhone is better even than the new BlackBerry OS6 browser. But if you're looking for "quick info such as movie times, book tickets, get restaurant reviews, etc" then it all boils down to having the right apps. A plain old browser isn't the right app. Install Poynt on your BlackBerry, and then challenge your iPhone friends to beat you in finding movie times/tickets/reviews/trailers or restaurant info/reviews/phone numbers/directions. While you're at it, ask them to find the cheapest mid-grade gas price within 5 miles.

Poynt download
Old 04-12-2011, 07:26 PM   #11
vegasphotog

Model: TORCH
Carrier: ATT

It really is all about personal preferences and I have been a Blackberry user for about 5 years...but, as soon as I am able I am going to switch over the the Android platform....I refuse to get an Iphone and many people here in Las Vegas complain about dropped calls with the Iphone...so, the Atrix is my next phone on deck once I am released from the hostage status of this phone. Generally speaking the phone is fine but after about 6 months I have discovered things I do not like....this has been true about any phone I have purchased...I really use my smartphones as they should be for what we pay...internet, text/multimedia, web, camera, video, etc.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #12
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasphotog View Post
It really is all about personal preferences and I have been a Blackberry user for about 5 years...but, as soon as I am able I am going to switch over the the Android platform....I refuse to get an Iphone and many people here in Las Vegas complain about dropped calls with the Iphone...so, the Atrix is my next phone on deck once I am released from the hostage status of this phone. Generally speaking the phone is fine but after about 6 months I have discovered things I do not like....this has been true about any phone I have purchased...I really use my smartphones as they should be for what we pay...internet, text/multimedia, web, camera, video, etc.
Before you make the move from your BlackBerry to Android, you might want to read through this thread, where a longtime BlackBerry did the same thing you're contemplating - because of the "neater" specs and the wow factor of the Android devices. He came back and reported in again after a few weeks of everyday usage, and has gone back to his BlackBerry. Its really a good thread, lots of good info there.

I made the switch- Torch to Captivate: REAL Pros and Cons
Old 04-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #13
BarracudaBob
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810

I was a little skeptical when I first switched to the Torch a few weeks ago. I did so because my wife's phone died and she knew I would get more out of a new phone than she would so I used her upgrade and she got my 8900. I'm still much better on a Curve keyboard, but still reasonably fast on the Bold style keyboard. I've even tried out the touchscreen keyboard in landscape mode and was surprised that it wasn't as bad as I expected. Overall, I like the idea of having a larger screen, but still having my physical keyboard for longer messages.

I would tend to say the Torch is worth it. However, if you aren't due for an upgrade for a few months, I'd hold out for the Torch 2 or Bold Touch.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:46 PM   #14
jgenn3

I came from a Storm 2 and debated the iPhone jump but ended up on the Torch. After using the Torch for 10 minutes I knew I made the right decision. It was like a old friend that got a major upgrade. As for my iPhone cravings, I solved that with a iPad. BB for business and iPad for multimedia/games.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:01 AM   #15
BBTorch

To make this quick:

I-phone wins at:
- Speed of web display/web browsing experience
- Camera quality
- Call quality

Blackberry Torch wins at:
- Email
- The antenna (slightly more receptive)
- Physical keyboard/data entry
Old 04-18-2011, 06:39 AM   #16
Thiego-uk

Model: SGS2
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBTorch View Post
To make this quick:

I-phone wins at:
- Camera quality
I dont agree on that and had seen many ppl saying same but its just my opinion. Im due to upgrade my 9700 and will most probably get the 9800.
Regarding the camera on IPhone (my wife has one, like every wife xD) over my BB 9700, my pics have way better focus.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:38 AM   #17
rubikcube

Model: 8900
Carrier: Orange

I had an HTC desire for a few months ,once the novelty wore off ,i have gone bac to BB ,traded in the desire and bought the Torch ,i love it ,even my wife who has an i phone wants one now ,so there you go
Old 04-24-2011, 10:47 AM   #18
Jarrod623

PIN: Just Ask! PM Me...

BlackBerry Torch is my very device out by RIM. I am going to ditch the torch version though when the newer Bold Touch comes out. Something about the Bold Touch really excites me. I can live without the Torch 2.

Afraid You Might Miss Big BlackBerry News??
Follow me on TWITTER For Fast BB News

The BlackBerry Dictionary
Old 04-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #19
palomartian

PIN: ched off BBM, gained 3MB
Carrier: att

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod623 View Post
BlackBerry Torch is my very device out by RIM. I am going to ditch the torch version though when the newer Bold Touch comes out. Something about the Bold Touch really excites me. I can live without the Torch 2.
I had the bold 9000. I am seriously wanting one of those with more memory and a touch screen. Your feelings are not misplaced. The torch is OK, but it's not a 9000.
"You. My room. 10:30 tonight. You. 10:45... And bring a friend."
Old 04-25-2011, 11:20 PM   #20
Kateye

Model: 8520
Carrier: Vodafone

I love Blackberry Torch as it is a perfect combination of touchscreen and QWERTY keypad. the smartphone also has an internal memory of 4 GB and 5 mega pixel camera for capturing pictures. If you want to get best Blackberry Torch deals, just have a look on bestcontractmobilephone.co.uk or directphoneshop.co.uk
Closed Thread