Old 05-08-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
tomkat

Model: 7230
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T Mobile
Default Heeeelp please!

Please Login to Remove!

Ok I'm really pulling my hair out here, please help! Long story short(ish):

I want to sell my old Blackberry RIM 7230 on ebay. I wanted to wipe it and restore it to factory settings. As there is no 'Wipe Handset' option for this model or OS then I searched the web for other options on how to restore it to factory settings.

Every option I found said I had to have OS 4 or above, and as I had OS 3 then the only solution I could find was to enter the password incorrectly 10 times. So that's what I did. Now all I have is an icon on the screen that looks like an old VHS tape with a cross through it. It won't boot up or do anything now. Is there any way of just getting this thing on and ready to sell on ebay? Or have I bust it?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
kirrinjones
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9000
PIN: 208E7C41
Carrier: LIME, Jamaica

Wirelessly posted

Now you definitely need the OS. What that icon with 507 (I believe) means is that there is no OS on the device. I'm mobile so I can't check now but you should be able to find a OS for your device as well as instructions.

All the best.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:17 AM   #3
tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirrinjones View Post
Wirelessly posted

Now you definitely need the OS. What that icon with 507 (I believe) means is that there is no OS on the device. I'm mobile so I can't check now but you should be able to find a OS for your device as well as instructions.

All the best.
Hi there, thanks for the help. Yes, it's the 507 error message I'm getting. Ok, I've downloaded the OS now but something is still wrong. The only OS I could find was V4, (before I wiped it, it was running V3). So I downloaded V4, and launched Desktop Manager, and selected Application Manager. It seems to detect my device, but when I try and install the OS I get an error message saying "Application Loader Could not connect to your Blackberry Device" (Then suggests various options like unplugging the USB cable for 10 seconds). Any suggestions?

Thanks again for any advice.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:38 AM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

What are the other suggestions given?

The only thought I have is do not use a USB hub, keyboard USB port, or anything like that. If you are using a desktop, use a port on the back of the box. If you are using a laptop and you have a desktop available, try the desktop.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:43 AM   #5
tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
What are the other suggestions given?

The only thought I have is do not use a USB hub, keyboard USB port, or anything like that. If you are using a desktop, use a port on the back of the box. If you are using a laptop and you have a desktop available, try the desktop.
Well, the other suggestions are as you say, ie: don't use a hub etc. It is plugged direcly into the computer, but yes, I'm on a laptop running XP. It's the only computer I have... I'm starting to think that this blackberry will have to go on eBay for 1p!
Old 05-09-2010, 06:02 AM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Ok. Take a look at the following post:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ml#post1385049.

I would give that technique a try. If that doesn't get you going, do a search on that error message you got and see what else you can find.

Also, you definity downloaded AND installed the device software for your exact model blackberry, correct?
Old 05-09-2010, 06:50 AM   #7
tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Ok. Take a look at the following post:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ml#post1385049.

I would give that technique a try. If that doesn't get you going, do a search on that error message you got and see what else you can find.

Also, you definity downloaded AND installed the device software for your exact model blackberry, correct?
Thanks for the help. I followed the instructions on that link you sent, and it seems to be getting half way there. The device is being detected by the computer etc, but it still keeps getting stuck on the same error message. I've tried the suggestions in the error message, but no luck.

I've definitely downloaded the right software for my device. It's the RIM 7230, and I did double check that, but one thing I noticed was that only OS V4 was available not V3 which was what was installed before I wiped it.

This is the error message I'm getting:

http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/w...6/ErrorMsg.jpg

Old 05-09-2010, 06:59 AM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Did you try #2 and #4?

I really don't know. It may be just a matter of trying again until you get the timing just right.

But as I say, google that error message. Over the years I know I've read a lot of techniques for dealing with this general sort of thing, but I don't remember details and don't have personal experience.

And browser down throught the JL_CMDER thread. There are a lot of posts from people having trouble connecting, with responses.

Last edited by aiharkness; 05-09-2010 at 07:00 AM..
Old 05-18-2010, 03:21 AM   #9
sooloow1

Model: 7100T
Carrier: 1gig

Thanks for the info here...
Closed Thread