BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 09:23 AM   #21
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not
Default Re: Deal breaker! Internet Connection or NOT?

Please Login to Remove!

This may open some eyes.

Internet Tethering on the BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet via Bluetooth | CrackBerry.com
Old 03-31-2011, 07:02 PM   #22
duane534
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9930
PIN: Ask Me
Carrier: AT&T

Leaked videos of the BlackBerry Bridge have already shows options for how you choose to tether your BlackBerry smartphone to the BlackBerry Playbook. One of those options is distributing the Internet connection. Same as it is now. You either tether your BlackBerry phone the official way (for $15 a month on AT&T, for example) or you do it in the un-official way with an app like Tether.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #23
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

Snip from Internet Tethering on the BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet via Bluetooth | CrackBerry.com

The device you are tethering to does need to support tethering

That makes perfect sense.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:51 AM   #24
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

More details on bridge versus tethering: Clearing up the PlayBook Confusion: BlackBerry Bridge vs. Internet Tethering | CrackBerry.com

Is this still a deal-breaker?

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:34 PM   #25
MI_Jester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

The bottle neck will be the Bluetooth connection. Bluetooth version 2.1+EDR only runs at 3Mbps (as far as I know). If your phone supports the BT Modem profile and it is a 4G phone, then it will connect... you just won't get faster than 3Mbps on the PlayBook.

Let me know if my assumption is incorrect.

Jester
Old 04-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #26
mytmouz

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cellular South

Well, it is a deal breaker for me...

The place I want to use it at the most has no wifi, my service provider does not support tethering (Cellular South), no other service provider has covereage in the area to keep the phones operational, much less support a wireless internet connection, and I don't plan to pay more per month on a mifi plan (or whatever they call it in their sales pitch)... I was looking forward to getting one, as the Blackberry phone I currently ownaccesses the 'net, but it does not not support some of the features the various boards I am on utilize (personal phone, so no IT restrictions). Maybe some other time, for now, I will do the phone upgrade I have been putting off. Looks like 'droid time...
Old 04-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #27
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

So let me get this straight... the PlayBook being WiFi only (for now) with support for tethering is such a "deal-breaker" that you logged on to this board so that your first post could be about ditching everything BlackBerry for an Android phone?

Right.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #28
mytmouz

Model: 8330
Carrier: Cellular South

That is correct. Although I am not sure why it is listed as my only post. I originally found this forum, and started a thread about a browser issue after an upgrade, but got no resonse to it. I kept reading threads here, followed the Playbook in anticipation. I went into my local service provider yesterday to check it out and got the above referenced answers to my questions. So I replied in this thread. The playbook not working with my phone, and having to pay more per month to use it, as my service provider does not (according to them) support tethering IS a deal breaker to me, which is the title of this thread.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:10 AM   #29
bahurd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by membbuser View Post
Well, for now, T-Mobile tethering is free...
Actually, tethering on T-Mobile isn't free now (officially). They have been tagging high users with the addon charge but have 'ignored' the infrequent user. I use it infrequently on my 9700 if I need a quick connection in the field. On a call with #611 recently, they told me there was a charge for tethering.

Back to the point...

I think it is a relevant question about using the BB as a modem and can't think of why RIM would disable it but without a cable hookup it would require 3rd party software. But hey, those with Android 2.3 or iPhone can just turn on the hotspot feature and use the WiFi. Wouldn't that be a great advertising feature... Use your Playbook to connect through your iPhone to the web! Sorry, your BB doesn't support it!

A while ago RIM clearly said the feature was supported but recently changed the wording to make it quite unclear. For me, I think I'll take a pass until things are more clear.

It's beginning to look like a buyers market for Tablets later in the summer anyway.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:00 AM   #30
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

iphone hotspot isnt free on all carriers though.

AT&T to Charge $20 for iPhone Hotspot Feature
It doesn't even matter

Old 04-16-2011, 10:10 AM   #31
bahurd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyrope View Post
iphone hotspot isnt free on all carriers though.

AT&T to Charge $20 for iPhone Hotspot Feature
Right, it's not.

For me, I think the data charges for phones/tablets are getting out of hand. Sure, there are the usual few 'abusers' of bandwidth (whatever the definition is... is), but I think the carriers could figure out ways to police it (maybe they are only phantom abusers to make the rest of the crowd feel sorry for the carriers justifiing the charges). Having to pay yet another $20+ to use an existing data plan which only could cause a person to reach that magic 2gig 'unlimited' cap is absurd.

But, as long as people pay it they'll charge it.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #32
TonyTone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahurd View Post
Right, it's not.

For me, I think the data charges for phones/tablets are getting out of hand. Sure, there are the usual few 'abusers' of bandwidth (whatever the definition is... is), but I think the carriers could figure out ways to police it (maybe they are only phantom abusers to make the rest of the crowd feel sorry for the carriers justifiing the charges). Having to pay yet another $20+ to use an existing data plan which only could cause a person to reach that magic 2gig 'unlimited' cap is absurd.

But, as long as people pay it they'll charge it.
Not to worry with a blackberry smartphone (at least not until carriers figure out where the data usage is coming from).

BlackBerry PlayBook Review | CrackBerry.com [INTERNET TETHERING]

Quote:
"One of the things that we've heard anyways, ... [is] if you are tethering with a BlackBerry smartphone, carriers should NOT be charging you for tethering charges 'cause they really have no way to actually know you are tethering on a PlayBook unless you go and tell them."
Old 04-16-2011, 11:42 AM   #33
TonyTone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

I think RIM may be reluctant to speak about their tethering capabilities for fear of dampening their relationship with the carriers.

I think the only reason for a separate data in the first place is because of Apple's enormous success. However, with the introduction of this new PlayBook, cell phone companies may realize the logic of charging one data plan based on total data usage between devices. If I go over my plan, then I should pay extra for that month whatever it that they would charge - THAT'S IT! I already pay for internet service through my cable and through a data plan on my phone.

Yeah, with regard to internet connections, PlayBook is the way to go. Looks like one of the biggest sore points for the critics may turn out to be one of the biggest pros of the RIM device.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:10 AM   #34
Thiego-uk

Model: SGS2
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sototoro View Post
I meant using the BB as a modem. Bold and others have that capability and it was specifically on the spec sheet and then they removed it.
I think they might have removed only because web access through your BB might apply costs to you mobile bill depending on you plan, my thoughts only...
Old 04-18-2011, 09:39 AM   #35
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

they did have 3G access via a smartphone on their webpage. But devices like the 8520 will never see 3G and maybe thats why they removed it.
It doesn't even matter

Old 04-20-2011, 05:51 AM   #36
smoothadmin

Model: 9860
Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by duane534 View Post
Leaked videos of the BlackBerry Bridge have already shows options for how you choose to tether your BlackBerry smartphone to the BlackBerry Playbook. One of those options is distributing the Internet connection. Same as it is now. You either tether your BlackBerry phone the official way (for $15 a month on AT&T, for example) or you do it in the un-official way with an app like Tether.
Wow your carrier charges $15 a month to tether your device? Com'on!

My device tethers quite nicely to my PB without paying on cent more, I am on Virgin Mobile Canada.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:57 AM   #37
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I belive his post was before news of the mirrored "tether" via the Bridge, therefore OBE.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #38
aregold
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Just to be clear...I am on Rogers Canada and the Playbook tethers wirlesly via my Bold 9780 over bluetooth to get to 3G. The browsing speeds on the Playbook are fine in downtown Ottawa.
All this goes on my BB data plan at no extra charge as long as I stay within my caps (6GB/month).

The internet tethering does require to be turned on specifically for each connection but that is one click. I imagine this is to reduce huge data charges by the masses.

Hope this helps.