BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 01:07 PM   #21
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Please Login to Remove!

I can't get the application to start up today. Error saying, "error starting media player: class multiplayplayermainscreen.<private> ref member out of range...

8310 TMO 4.5.0.46
Old 07-06-2008, 01:53 PM   #22
Kamau
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
PIN: 21499CE8
Carrier: Verizon, T-Mobile

I gave up on it and deleted it. I was hoping that the internet radio would be at least workable, but since it wasn't I got rid of it.

Kamau
Old 07-08-2008, 08:45 AM   #23
SHAPE
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

xxxmerlinxxx, could you please specify what you mean by sirius and XM?
Old 07-08-2008, 08:57 AM   #24
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE

Sirius (SIRIUS Satellite Radio - The Best Radio On Radio) and XM (XM Satellite Radio - Americaxxx039;s #1 Satellite Radio Service) are satellite radio stations.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:03 AM   #25
SHAPE
CrackBerry Addict

Dear users,

We have updated the beta version!

Thank you for your feedbacks, still there is always a space for striving for perfection.

In this build we investigated and fixed some connection issues, among them are:

We have discovered that BIS data connection type has one restriction: the amount of bytes per one connection used xxx8211; about 1024 Kb. So wexxx8217;ve implemented a reconnection algorithm, which reconnects immediately after the carrier disconnection when a specific number of bytes achieved from the radio station. Some jumps in the playback might occur still we hope they would be minimal.

Also when BIS connection is used some timeouts might occur when data is being transferred. We will try to eliminate this issue in the next updates.

Regarding the speed of data transferring, it depends on the speed that your carrier provides you with. If you face pauses when playing back any radio station, try to use some other data connection type or select a radio station with a low bitrate. At the moment we are working on improving of data flow loading. With the next update we will provide you with a list of radio stations with a low bitrate.

Still we recommend using Direct TCP/IP in Settings -> Connection for better connection.

Please consider that some of your data plans might be limited by traffic and/or be paid. Internet radio uses a lot of traffic and this might lead to extra charges.

You can update to the latest 1.1.8 version at http://www.shapeservices.com/freedow...layer_beta.zip
or at wap.shapeservices.com/download/xproducts/beta/xplayer.jad

Looking forward to your feedbacks, more and more)
Old 07-08-2008, 09:13 AM   #26
SHAPE
CrackBerry Addict

Then you are welcome to try these stations and see how the work for you. We don't have any limitations for radio stations.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:14 AM   #27
SHAPE
CrackBerry Addict

We have updated the beta version. Please see the list of updates and recommendations at http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...tml#post999045
Old 07-08-2008, 09:15 AM   #28
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Carrier: at&t

The direct comparison at the moment (for me) is between this application and moodio.fm. At this point, xPlayer does not deliver the same quality of stream as I am getting on Moodio, for the same station.

I do like having a application on my phone (rather than via the browser) so I am hoping xPlayer can catch up, because I would gladly switch. I will keep trying the betas as they are released.

Also, one small note for some folks. When you do find a URL to a stream, it does not mean that you have a working stream URL, or that the stream URL is for the stream itself. Often times the URL users try is the web player URL, this is not the same as the stream URL. So in some cases you are getting an error due to the stream and not because of the application. I would recommend trying the URL in two streaming apps (i.e. moodio and xPlayer) before scoring it as a true error by xPlayer.

Last edited by Shaun; 07-08-2008 at 09:22 AM..
Old 07-08-2008, 11:13 AM   #29
sstroud
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketchums View Post
Oh, here's something big...It also won't let me play music on my headphones on my 8800. When I plug em in, it just keeps playing on my blackberry speakers instead of in the headphones
see my post #6 you have to manually set the audio output location to get it from the headphones, hand set, etc.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:29 PM   #30
Woodard2589
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

would be nice if you can select a folder with other folders in it and add them all, nice looking player but i dont want to open up 30 different folders to add all my music. also i just noticed that when it goes to the next song with headphones on it starts playing from the phone and i have to unplug and replug the headphones back in. maybe im missing a setting somewhere idk.

Last edited by Woodard2589; 07-08-2008 at 09:33 PM..
Old 07-09-2008, 06:17 AM   #31
bernardokuri

Model: 8100
Carrier: Telcel (Mexico)
Default bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodard2589 View Post
also i just noticed that when it goes to the next song with headphones on it starts playing from the phone and i have to unplug and replug the headphones back in.
Yup I get that too.

I also tried adding a station in two different bitrates (56k and 128k), but xplayer wasn't able to play either one.

Also, when adding the same category ("Drum & Bass") to both new stations, a new duplicate category was created on the library, instead of placing both stations inside the same folder.

One more thing was that I wasn't able to edit the station details once I saved it into the library. Would be nice to do this using the existing "station info" command.

Keep up the tood work guys! I really like the new look and features.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:31 PM   #32
Soapm

No change for me, the radio still cuts out...

TMO EDGE 4.5 8310
Old 07-09-2008, 10:54 PM   #33
fencepost
Thumbs Must Hurt

I've been able to listen to 24kbps streams (talk) with no serious problems, though I haven't spent a long time listening to them.

I've sent a few pieces of feedback to them as well.

On thinking about it, I'd actually like to see them redo the audio destination settings - initially I was just thinking about having it use the headset if one's available, but I think this would be better (if possible):

A sorted list (by preference) of audio destinations to use if they're available. This assumes that there's a way to check the ones where availability is questionable.
Example (as I'd sort it):
  • Headset (requires check)
  • Speaker (NOTE: Nothing makes it past this point unless there's no speakerphone capability - any models lack that? Effectively items below "speaker" are disabled)
  • Bluetooth Headset (requires check)
  • Handset (NOTE: Nothing would make it past this point. Effectively items below "handset" are disabled)
  • Headset + Speaker (speaker only if no headset plugged in)
  • Bluetooth Headset + speaker (speaker only if no BT headset connection)
If I can't have this, then at the minimum I'd like to be able to select the destination while it's actually playing radio.

Then in the options, let me change the order in which these appear. If I want a bluetooth headset before the speaker, I can do so by moving it up on the list (I don't do so because of battery in the headset).

Other changes I'd like to see:
  • Buffering based on time not size, possibly with a maximum size. If I set my buffer to 500, then start a talk station's stream it seems like it doesn't start playing until the buffer is full which takes a while.
  • Better (text-based) display of buffer status, etc.
  • The shading on the battery indicator at the top (I assume that's what it is) seems nonintuitive/reversed
  • I'd like to see the actual bitrate of the audio stream shown somewhere. As it is, if I want to know I have to fire it up in a PC player. If I'm having problems with a stream and on looking see that it's 128kbps, I'm not going to get so annoyed because it's one that I should expect to only work on WiFi.
  • I'd like to see the summary playlist time (which seems inconsistent on very little experimentation) to show hours:minutes:seconds rather than LotsOfMinutes:seconds when I have a long playlist.
  • I'd like to see radio connections have failover methods or prioritization. It seems that if I'm using it with WiFi but leave the building I then need to stop playing, change the setting, restart xPlayer.

Last edited by fencepost; 07-09-2008 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: clarifying first list a bit
Old 07-10-2008, 12:11 AM   #34
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fencepost View Post
I've been able to listen to 24kbps streams (talk) with no serious problems, though I haven't spent a long time listening to them.
How do you know the bit rate of the stream?
Old 07-10-2008, 04:03 PM   #35
fencepost
Thumbs Must Hurt

I loaded the same stream in WinAmp on my PC and checked it there.

Additional feature I'd like to see: an option to stop playing and warn before starting if the battery is below a user-specified percentage. It could be really annoying to be using your BlackBerry as an MP3 player, then suddenly discover that your battery was dead when you needed to make calls.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:29 PM   #36
shlep
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8120
Carrier: Rickshaw

I just tried this and didn't see any fast forward or rewind. HELP
Old 07-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #37
bernardokuri

Model: 8100
Carrier: Telcel (Mexico)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardokuri View Post
Also, when adding the same category ("Drum & Bass") to both new stations, a new duplicate category was created on the library, instead of placing both stations inside the same folder.
Quick update on this: The duplicate folders issue was corrected automatically once I restarted the app, so it looks like it's not so bad after all.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:57 AM   #38
brayndeded

Model: 8830
Carrier: Alltel

i can still only get 1 of the preloaded stations to work, and i tried to create a blues station to bellyup4blues.com, but it wont work. i tried every option there is, but no luck on any of it. guess ill have to wait for alltel to release the 4.5 OS for my 8830....might take them another 3 years to do it.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:17 AM   #39
fencepost
Thumbs Must Hurt

Did you use http://64.62.252.134:5100 as the URL for BellyUp4Blues? That's what you actually need to be providing, not the URL for the Winamp or Windows Media files.

To get the URL for the actual stream, right-click on the "Listen" link and save the target as a local file. Then open that file in a text editor (like Notepad) and find the link there.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #40
fencepost
Thumbs Must Hurt

Lightbulb

Since I seem to be posting wishlist items, here's one more: tie into whatever system event the volume control buttons send anytime audio is playing, not just while xPlayer has focus.

Not sure how feasible this one is.