sprat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default 8130 Announced

Please Login to Remove!

RIM Introduces First CDMA-enabled BlackBerry Pearl

The small, smart and stylish BlackBerry Pearl 8130 smartphone features powerful communications, rich multimedia, built-in GPS and support for high-speed EV-DO networks

Waterloo, ON xxx8211; Research In Motion (RIM) (Nasdaq: RIMM; TSX: RIM) today introduced the BlackBerry® Pearlxxx8482; 8130, the first BlackBerry Pearl smartphone to run on CDMA networks. The new model stays true to the highly acclaimed style and compact design of the BlackBerry Pearl and comes packed with new features including communications enhancements, a striking new software interface, rich multimedia capabilities, built-in GPS and support for high-speed EV-DO networks.

xxx8220;With its unique blend of functionality and design, the BlackBerry Pearl smartphone has been turning heads and winning praise from business users and consumers alike,xxx8221; said Mike Lazaridis, President and Co-CEO at Research In Motion. xxx8220;The new BlackBerry Pearl 8130 builds on all the great features and aesthetic design that people love about the BlackBerry Pearl and offers an exceptional new choice for CDMA customers that are looking to upgrade their mobile phone.xxx8221;

The BlackBerry Pearl 8130 includes all of the features that have made BlackBerry® smartphones popular among mobile users, including unrivaled email and messaging (SMS, IM, MMS*), web browsing, organizer and more. The new smartphone also expands on its communications and multimedia features and presents the entire offering with a striking new software interface.

ULTRA-SLEEK & STYLISH DESIGN
The BlackBerry Pearl 8130 features a sleek, compact design measuring just 4.2xxx8221; x 1.97xxx8221; x .55xxx8221; and weighing only 3.38 oz. It provides an intuitive user experience through its trackball navigation system and RIM's popular SureTypexxx8482; keyboard system. SureType -- which allows a narrower handset design while maintaining easy phone dialing and message typing -- has been enhanced to allow word completion, easier editing misspelled words and a built-in spell checker.

ENHANCED SOFTWARE INTERFACE
The BlackBerry Pearl 8130 features an updated visual interface and integrates a new font rendering technology that displays characters beautifully, with enhanced legibility at even the smallest point sizes. The new technology is evident throughout the visual interface, complementing the new look of the BlackBerry® email client, calendar, address book, task list, memo pad and web browser, while also enhancing other applications.

The BlackBerry® Browser is further improved with a new "Page View" option that displays a full web page on the screen along with a magnifying glass that allows the user to quickly and accurately point and zoom in on a specific area of the web page. Users can also press and hold the trackball to toggle between the "Column View" (which presents the web page in a continuous column for easy reading and scrolling on the go) and the xxx8220;Page View.xxx8221; The new BlackBerry Browser also provides quicker access to Bookmarks and History, and supports the 3GPP RTSP Streaming protocol via EV-DO, so users can view streaming video from sites like m.youtube.com.

RICH MULTIMEDIA FEATURES
The BlackBerry Pearl 8130 comes with a 2 megapixel camera with 5x digital zoom and enhanced flash. The new camera also supports video capture in two resolutions: 240x180 or 176x144 for sharing via MMS.

The media player now allows users to create and edit playlists right on the handset. Alternatively, users can manage their media files from their PC with the Roxio® Media Manager for BlackBerry®, which is included with the BlackBerry® Desktop Manager software. The Roxio software was developed with Sonic® and is based on the award-winning Roxio Easy Media Creator® 9, making it easy for users to search for media files on their computer, view and organize them, create MP3 music files from CDs, add audio tags, album art, create playlists and convert files for optimal playback.

Roxio Photosuite® 9 LE is also included xxx8211; this comprehensive tool makes it easy to edit pictures and create photo albums. Pictures can also be cropped, rotated and straightened, redeye can be removed, and brightness, contrast and saturation levels can all be changed.

The BlackBerry Pearl 8130 supports the Bluetooth® stereo audio profile (A2DP/AVRCP), and comes with a 3.5 mm stereo headset jack so users can plug in their preferred headphones or speakers. The handset also provides the convenience of an externally accessible microSD/SDHC memory card slot for additional storage of music, videos and pictures.

BUILT-IN GPS AND NAVIGATION
The BlackBerry Pearl 8130 includes built-in GPS to provide out-of-the-box support for location-based applications and services*. BlackBerry® Maps, which can conveniently guide users to their destination, now includes a local search capability that allows users to find local businesses, such as banks, hotels and restaurants, within a short driving distance. The local search feature in BlackBerry Maps was developed with support from Googlexxx8482;.

ADVANCED PHONE FEATURES
The BlackBerry Pearl 8130 offers many convenient phone features including Speaker Independent Voice Recognition (SIVR) for Voice Activated Dialing (VAD), Bluetooth® 2.0 support for hands-free use with headsets, car kits and Bluetooth peripherals, dedicated 'send', 'end', and 'mute' keys, smart dialing, speed dialing, conference calling, call forwarding, a low-distortion speakerphone for hands-free conversations and support for polyphonic, mp3 and MIDI ring tones.

The smartphone also includes new features that enhance phone audio quality including enhanced background noise, wind and echo cancellation for better performance in loud environments like airports, restaurants or busy downtown streets. An 'enhance call audio' feature also allows the user to boost the phone audio's bass or treble while on a call.

ACCESSORIES
The BlackBerry Pearl 8130 also comes with a variety of accessories, including a stereo headset, travel charger, carrying pouch and USB cable. Additional accessories for BlackBerry handsets, including premium leather holsters and totes, an automotive charger, and Bluetooth headsets are available through retail outlets or online at Official RIM BlackBerry Accessories Store - Mobile phone accessory,Batteries,Headsets,Chargers,Cases,Holste rs,Handsfree,travel gear,Cell Phone,7510,7280,7230,7750,6710,7210.

The BlackBerry Pearl 8130 is supported on BlackBerry® Internet Service, giving users access to up to 10 supported business or personal email accounts (including most popular ISP email accounts), as well as BlackBerry® Enterprise Server, enabling advanced security and IT administration within IBM® Lotus® Domino®, Microsoft® Exchange and Novell® GroupWise® environments.

The BlackBerry Pearl 8130 will be available in two colors xxx8211; silver and amethyst xxx8211; from CDMA carriers in North America beginning in November 2007.

For more information, visit www.blackberrypearl8130.com

* Check with carrier for supported services.

About Research In Motion (RIM)
Research In Motion is a leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of innovative wireless solutions for the worldwide mobile communications market. Through the development of integrated hardware, software and services that support multiple wireless network standards, RIM provides platforms and solutions for seamless access to time-sensitive information including email, phone, SMS messaging, Internet and intranet-based applications. RIM technology also enables a broad array of third party developers and manufacturers to enhance their products and services with wireless connectivity to data. RIMxxx8217;s portfolio of award-winning products, services and embedded technologies are used by thousands of organizations around the world and include the BlackBerry® wireless platform, the RIM Wireless Handheldxxx8482; product line, software development tools, radio-modems and software/hardware licensing agreements. Founded in 1984 and based in Waterloo, Ontario, RIM operates offices in North America, Europe and Asia Pacific. RIM is listed on the Nasdaq Stock Market (Nasdaq: RIMM) and the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: RIM). For more information, visit Research In Motion or BlackBerry.

Forward-looking statements in this news release are made pursuant to the "safe harbor" provisions of the United States Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. When used herein, words such as "intend" and similar expressions are intended to identify forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on assumptions made by and information available to Research In Motion Limited. Investors are cautioned that such forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties. Important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements include, without limitation, possible product defects and product liability, risks related to international sales and potential foreign currency exchange fluctuations, the initiation or outcome of litigation, acts or potential acts of terrorism, international conflicts, significant fluctuations of quarterly operating results, changes in Canadian and foreign laws and regulations, continued acceptance of RIM's products, increased levels of competition, technological changes and the successful development of new products, dependence on third-party networks to provide services, dependence on intellectual property rights, and other risks and factors detailed from time to time in RIM's periodic reports filed with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission, and other regulatory authorities. RIM has no intention or obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.

The BlackBerry and RIM families of related marks, images and symbols are the exclusive properties and trademarks of Research In Motion Limited. RIM, Research In Motion and BlackBerry are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and may be pending or registered in other countries. All other brands, product names, company names, trademarks and service marks are the properties of their respective owners. RIM assumes no liability or makes any representation, warranty or guarantee in relation to third-party products or services.

Last edited by juwaack68; 10-01-2007 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: resize
Old 10-01-2007, 08:02 AM   #2
sprat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: Rogers

RICH MULTIMEDIA FEATURES

The BlackBerry Pearl 8130 comes with a 2 megapixel camera with 5x digital zoom and enhanced flash. The new camera also supports video capture in two resolutions: 240x180 or 176x144 for sharing via MMS.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:13 AM   #3
stac
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8110
Carrier: at&t
Default Ooh

Can't wait until the software update hits the street... my pearl has been aching for some video love...

Stac

'This one goes to eleven...'
Old 10-01-2007, 08:36 AM   #4
kurrupt_1
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: 2159FC90
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stac View Post
Can't wait until the software update hits the street... my pearl has been aching for some video love...

Stac
It says the "new camera", to me which implies that the software for this particular feature will not work on the older version or the original 8100. Is this safe to assume, cause believe me I have 2 Pearls that can use this feature.

On another note, when might it be out on TMO?
Old 10-01-2007, 09:19 AM   #5
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

I noticed the * footnote about GPS Maps - 'check with carrier for supported services'. That means Verizon will not support it!
Old 10-01-2007, 09:34 AM   #6
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Nice! Video recording. I always wanted a Pearl for a backup phone, while my 8700g will be my message-writing beast for the full qwerty keypad. I might have to scoop one when it is released for T-Mobile.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:56 AM   #7
boobybabymommy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

Sucks that i just got 2 Curves 8300 from Amazon and AT&T, will receive them most likely on Wednesday, which kinda pisses me off cus i was waiting for the pearl 8130 for so long and got desperated so went ahead and ordered the 8300. now i dont even know if i will be able to return them to Amazn in order for me to get the Pearl 2, and also i dont know if there is going to be any fees with AT&T for not wanting their service after all!!!
and think we were getting the 8300 for Telenav, and turns out that the Pearl 2 has GPS integrated... FIGURES!!!!

Jen
Old 10-01-2007, 10:08 AM   #8
kurrupt_1
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 2159FC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobybabymommy View Post
Sucks that i just got 2 Curves 8300 from Amazon and AT&T, will receive them most likely on Wednesday, which kinda pisses me off cus i was waiting for the pearl 8130 for so long and got desperated so went ahead and ordered the 8300. now i dont even know if i will be able to return them to Amazn in order for me to get the Pearl 2, and also i dont know if there is going to be any fees with AT&T for not wanting their service after all!!!
and think we were getting the 8300 for Telenav, and turns out that the Pearl 2 has GPS integrated... FIGURES!!!!

Jen
I believe you can return them...I just got a 8320 from TMO that is on UPS and should be here on Wednesday as well...but I will get both in my case.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:15 AM   #9
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobybabymommy View Post

Jen
GPS on Verizon? Don't hold your breath. I doubt you'll see it and if you do it will be Verizon Navigator.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:45 AM   #10
Raven
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8130
Carrier: VZW

VZW site is some what up with the 8830 (second from right), looks something is happening two days

Verizon Wireless:
Old 10-01-2007, 12:27 PM   #11
dusty78
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: sprint

does anyone know if the browser will have full html support? i have a sprint 8830 but am dying for a camera.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:34 PM   #12
Raven
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8130
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty78 View Post
does anyone know if the browser will have full html support? i have a sprint 8830 but am dying for a camera.
Install Opera Mini
Old 10-01-2007, 12:56 PM   #13
Jawsnj
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

The teasre site is counting down the release of the first phone on the left, it will ten start counting down again for the next phone and then the next "Pearl" hich is the third phone of the four.

I just spoke to my Biz rep, who knows I am always looking for my next phone and he has always been very accurate in the release dates he has given me. Soory to say BG reported November, and November it will be. This is also confirmed if you goto Phonescoop and look at the link to the RIM announcement, that states avaliable beginning Noverber 2007.

I can't wait, but we still have 4 weeks of drooling ahead of us...everyone grab some napkins...(for your drool that is)
Old 10-01-2007, 01:20 PM   #14
mattymee
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000

Too bad CDMA is the poopyness
Old 10-01-2007, 01:28 PM   #15
ARHYTHMATIK
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none

About time a berry has video recording! Awesome! I wonder what the frames per second will be. Is there any way of telling by the recording resolution?
Old 10-01-2007, 02:36 PM   #16
canonbomb1987
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular

Now the VZ customers cant complain about not getting any love from RIM.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:42 PM   #17
jorv88
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-mo
Default hot damn

did i just read built gpd and video recording ????? if i did come on time 2 sell my pearl and start saving....
Old 10-01-2007, 03:00 PM   #18
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
GPS on Verizon? Don't hold your breath. I doubt you'll see it and if you do it will be Verizon Navigator.
You have to pay for GPS on VZN. The pearl won't get free GPS on Verizon I bet. Nothing is free on Verizon. I bet they charge $40/month for the data/email.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:10 PM   #19
.Shaun
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

so i'm guessing those using gprs n etc miss out on this one
time for me to save up still
hopefully tmobile will have a gsm version in stock soon

Last edited by .Shaun; 10-01-2007 at 06:16 PM..
Closed Thread