tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: Contact Sync with Gmail

Please Login to Remove!

Ok , last shot,
Playing with mine I found the display can be set really really low.
It might be worth checking.

Set options for backlighting
1. On the home screen or in a folder, click the Options icon.
2. Click Display > Screen Display.
3. Do any of the following:
To change the brightness of the backlight for the screen, change the Backlight Brightness
field.
To change the length of time that the backlight stays on when you're not touching your
BlackBerry® smartphone, change the Backlight Timeout field.
To stop the backlight from adjusting to lighting conditions, clear the Automatically Dim
Backlight checkbox.
4. Press the BB-Button to save.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:08 PM   #22
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Clssc
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Eastlink

Unable. The screen is only barely visible occasionally, and I can only get that to happen by pressing various buttons randomly. I tried different logical combinations but couldn't find one. When I am eventually able to barely see the home screen, the only thing on it, other than the time at the top, is a box asking for my password. When I enter the password nothing happens and the system is hung up. So there is no way I would be able to get into options. Nice thought though.
I'm still not sure that this whole thing is not software related. When I reinstall the OS I sometimes have to make more than one attempt; sometimes the BB disconnects on it's own; sometimes the update function I'm doing says it needs to "repair"; and so on. Different notices at different times. And then, when the install is successful, the system is hung up.
Nothing seems to make sense.
Rolyb
Old 08-09-2017, 11:54 PM   #23
pdsubraa

Model: DTEK6
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Latest OS updates - conflict could be an issue.

Check it out.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:29 PM   #24
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well, I got a (nearly) new (new to me) BB 9810 from ebay. I set it up the way I wanted, but did not restore my old info, for fear of transferring the previous problem to my new BB. It worked fine. So I decided to restore selective files, and that worked and I was able to reboot without a problem. So then decided to take a chance and do a full restore. It worked fine until I tried rebooting, and then, sure enough, the old problem came back: "Uncaught exception: Java.lang.NullPointer Exception" message, and the unit was hung up. So I reinstalled the os and and did a full restore, and now it's fine, but I'm sure if I reboot, the problem will still be there.
Now back to my original problem of not being able to sync my gmail Contacts. When I did my original setup (above), both Calendar and Contacts synced properly. However, now, after restoring the os the first time (above) and now (after the second restoration), my gmail Contacts will not sync, and I have no idea why or how to get them to sync. With respect to the other problem, next time I have to restore the os, I'll only restore selective files, and that should be fine. However, are there any ideas about the sync problem?
Rolyb
Old 08-12-2017, 12:47 PM   #25
tsac
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
One thought, if you reloaded any apps after reloading the OS, one could be causing this issue. If so try not adding any and check a reboot. Then add one and check again and so on.

As I suggested before, doing a full restore also brings in all Apps and the possibility of the one causing the problem causing it again.

You need to do an OS reload but not add any Apps until all is working . then adding one app and testing will tell you the one causing the problems. It may also be a conflict between two apps and then you will have to decide which to eliminate or do both.

Easy..no but most App developers do not test their creation on all the possible devices they work on and only when people complain do they do something or if the device is not high on their list they ignore the problem.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:14 PM   #26
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

The only apps that I would have previously installed, and would have been restored were ones that automatically show on the BB in the Applications folder on the Home page. Are they installed from on line, or are they resident in the BB after the os restoration? Perhaps, one of those got corrupted in my old BB and transferred to the new one with the restoration.
In any case, if the problem occurs next time I have to reboot, I'll just restore data files and any apps I want that come with the new os. That will fix the problem.
But I would still like to know why I could sync Contacts only once, and not again.
Rolyb
Old 08-13-2017, 03:13 PM   #27
tsac
BlackBerry God

If you can download a clean copy of the OS to do a restore it may keep any corrupted apps that would be reloaded in an old copy of a backup or restore.
Also using a program like LINK may be good because you can just reload your contacts.
It might be worth it to try. Just make sure you download the version for your carrier and phone model.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:50 PM   #28
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

I've already found out that reinstalling a clean copy of the os seems to fix the hang-up problem, so I'm satisfied that it is something to do with my restore operation. Next time it occurs, I'll reinstall a clean copy of the os and restore selectively.
With respect to the Contacts sync thing, I'm not familiar with LINK. How do I find it to download and how does it work?
Rolyb
Old 08-14-2017, 07:41 PM   #29
tsac
BlackBerry God

Blackberry.com has it. It's standard for new BB's and Desktop Manager for older BB's

PC and MAC

https://global.blackberry.com/en/sof...lackberry-link
Old 08-15-2017, 05:24 AM   #30
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thank you tsac. I have downloaded LINK and look forward to using it. It looks like a very useful app.
Regarding my BB hang-up problem, I deleted all date and reset to factory settings by reinstalling the os. Then I restored by selecting "Data Type" rather than "All Data and Settings". That did the trick. Now I have all my data back and the hang-up problem has disappeared.
I have decided to keep my BB Torch as a back-up unit, and have ordered a BB Classic, which should arrive in a few days. It will be interesting to see if Google Contacts will update automatically in that model. Do you know if I can "restore" my current data to the BB Classic?
Old 08-15-2017, 07:18 AM   #31
tsac
BlackBerry God

Yes, Once a backup is made using LINK you can switch to a new phone.
This link for windows but the app works the same on MAC

Switch to a new device - BlackBerry Link for Windows - 1.2.4
Old 08-15-2017, 07:42 AM   #32
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

I downloaded BB Link, which came as part of BB 10 Desktop Software download, but neither Link nor Blend would work (i.e. wouldn't "connect"). Had to uninstall. Perhaps because I already had BB Desktop Software 7.1 installed for my Torch and thus "BB 10 for Desktop Software" didn't install. I'll wait until I get my BB Classic, then uninstall 7.1 and reinstall BB 10 Desktop Software. I presume I will able to restore my saved backup from the 7.1 and Torch without a problem. If not, I will back up Torch again with the new software, and then restore to the BB Classic. Does that sound about right?
Rolyb
Old 08-15-2017, 09:06 PM   #33
tsac
BlackBerry God

Desktop manager is for pre OS10 devices. the 9810 needs Desktop Manager not Link
Once the backup is made with the App for the phone you can use the backup to reinstall on a new phone. I have used DM to backup a 9810 and Link to restore to a Z10
Old 08-16-2017, 05:26 AM   #34
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Many thanks. What about SIM cards when changing from 9810 to BB Classic. Are they the same, and if so, should I replace the new SIM card that comes with the Classic with the one from my 9810? I think the SIM card contains the mobile phone provider info and related phone data.
Rolyb
Old 08-16-2017, 06:52 AM   #35
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

I've answered my own question. I googled BB Classic SIM card and now see that it's much smaller than my 9810 card. I guess I'll have to have my mobile phone provider set it up.
Rolyb
Old 08-16-2017, 04:37 PM   #36
tsac
BlackBerry God

SIM cards are different. I had to go to ATT store to get the one that fits. In reality they would all fit in the phones if they were the same size either the large or small one.

It might be a way to push you to the store so they can sell you a new phone.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:41 AM   #37
xandramckenzie

Model: PRIV
Carrier: verizonat&T

Sorry for being an intruder but is it normal for my Blackberry Keyone's screen to be separated from the body of my phone? I am afraid that my smartphone is not durable enough, can I have it replaced on the store where I bought it?
Old 08-17-2017, 06:32 AM   #38
Rolyb
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have no idea.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:14 PM   #39
tsac
BlackBerry God

Generally if the phonies still under warrantee and the store is reputable they will work with you to replace the phone. I would be very careful when you tell them how it broke and where you normally carry the phone.
Example if your someone who carries the phone in a rear pocket you stand the chance of bending it and any cell phone will have issues. Some the glass breaks and some the glass pops off. the bigger issue is if the phone does this due to user caused damage the vendors in most cases will not replace.
This is not a blackberry issue, all including I-Phone, Samsung and others do it.

you can try pushing it back on, it may work but be careful.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:57 AM   #40
ikusyuchka

Model: 7100T
Carrier: no

great info thx