Old 03-13-2015, 04:11 PM   #1
Preroll
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Class
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Get To Email w/o Hub

Please Login to Remove!

Maybe this is more of an OS question than a device question but isn't it possible to go a particular email account and see just those emails vs. calling it up in the hub first? Some reviews have complained about this but I thought I saw some videos explaining that you could go to a particular email account directly without using the hub. If so, how hard could this be?
Old 03-13-2015, 06:29 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: Get To Email w/o Hub

Ok so what are you calling a hub? If your trying to get email direct all you do if add it to your email list.

KB02189-How to add / attach / integrate / email addresses with a BlackBerry smartphone on the BlackBerry Internet Service
Old 03-14-2015, 09:08 AM   #3
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but look at doing the following....

Hub > Settings > Display and Actions > Return to Default View When Idle > Disable

Hub > Menu > Select desired email

There are no email account icons like in BBOS. Doing the above will cause the selected email account view to not revert back to the full Hub unless you select full Hub view.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:20 PM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Still a bit confused on the question. Adding an email address to pre OS 10 devices allows you to have a separated icon for each added email.
Your profile shows 9930 so unless your talking about the OS10 blackberry's then follow aiharkness's suggestions.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:23 PM   #5
Preroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Not sure if this is what you are looking for but look at doing the following....

Hub > Settings > Display and Actions > Return to Default View When Idle > Disable

Hub > Menu > Select desired email

There are no email account icons like in BBOS. Doing the above will cause the selected email account view to not revert back to the full Hub unless you select full Hub view.
I'm currently still with the 9930 so the question was aimed towards OS10 since I am contemplating getting a Classic. I think your answer above is probably what I'm looking for. If I had for example [email address] and [email address] and all I wanted to do was push an icon to see just [email address] emails ONLY without having to go to the hub to see every notification from every email account plus SMS, BBM, etc. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:38 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

The Hub is similar or almost the same as the unified message view in BBOS. You have settings to determine what displays in the unified view and separate, or what appears in only the unified view, or what appears only in separate account. What is really different is that in BBOS you open an app; in BB10 there is now an app icon, but initially and as originally intended the message view is brought to the screen by swiping.

If you do what I suggested above and set all your email accounts to show as separate accounts only, and set the Hub not to revert to Hub view when Idle, then when you swipe to the Hub you will see the account you had open last. And instead of having to go back to the app screen and clicking or taping an icon on the app screen to open a different message account, you make that selection from a menu on the message screen.

It would be easier to understand if you had the Classic in your hands. Things are often not so much different as just done a different way.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:32 PM   #7
Preroll

Quote:
The Hub is similar or almost the same as the unified message view in BBOS. You have settings to determine what displays in the unified view and separate, or what appears in only the unified view, or what appears only in separate account. What is really different is that in BBOS you open an app; in BB10 there is now an app icon, but initially and as originally intended the message view is brought to the screen by swiping.

If you do what I suggested above and set all your email accounts to show as separate accounts only, and set the Hub not to revert to Hub view when Idle, then when you swipe to the Hub you will see the account you had open last. And instead of having to go back to the app screen and clicking or taping an icon on the app screen to open a different message account, you make that selection from a menu on the message screen.

It would be easier to understand if you had the Classic in your hands. Things are often not so much different as just done a different way.
Yep...I think you're right. Once I have it in hand I'll begin to see the available view options but I was trying to get a little insight in advance. I figured there would be a different way vs. OS7 but it would still achieve the same results.

Thanks again!
Old 03-16-2015, 12:00 AM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Yep. Happy to help.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:38 AM   #9
Preroll

So I finally bought the phone this weekend and there's a lot to like and a lot not to like (i.e.: can't stand the calendar and music player but that's for another time). As for emails, on my old 9930, I could download emails with Outlook off of my ISP's mail server and the emails would remain on my phone. With this deivce, as soon as I download with Outlook, the emails get deleted off of my phone (Classic). I believe the old setup was POP accounts and these have switched to IMAP so I'm thinking that's the problem but when I tried to manually set up the email accounts using advanced by typing in the SMTP info for POP, it rejected it and would it only establish an account the non-advanced way and it selected IMAP only. I sometimes like to retain emails in both the phone and in Outlook but I cannot figure out how to achieve this as of yet. Any ideas?

Thanks again.

Last edited by Preroll; 03-23-2015 at 12:40 AM..
Old 03-23-2015, 12:10 PM   #10
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

If you are stuck with POP3 with ISP you need to switch Outlook to leave messages on the server. Better solution would be to change Outlook email setup to IMAP.

You had the same issue with BBOS. If you downloaded email and deleted it off the server before BIS fetched it then you would never see it on the device. The difference is now you have an email client instead of BIS.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 03-23-2015, 10:20 PM   #11
Preroll

Yup...after further research, I probably will have to change Outlook to leave messages on server. I'll look into IMAP for Outlook later.

As for creating emails on the Classic, I have noticed that there is no way to delete cached email addresses. I even deleted one or two of the email accounts and re-added and they still remained. I looked this up and apparently there is no way to get rid of this yet. I know in the OS7 days I would run DM and clear the Recipient Cache but I don't even think there is a way to do this with Link? I can't say I'm overly impressed with this phone. May bring it back but still trying...

Thanks.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:36 PM   #12
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Take a look at Recent Contact Management in BlackBerry Hub Settings.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:01 PM   #13
Preroll

Quote:
Take a look at Recent Contact Management in BlackBerry Hub Settings.
OK, so this doesn't actually delete the cache but allows you to go one by one to mask them out it seems. What worries me is that as newer emails start coming in (junk or non-junk), this cached list will continue to grow and I will need to spend quite a bit of time blocking them. I believe JSanders had a post some place indicating that this was a requested feature (to delete the cache) but I see it has not been implemented yet. Hopefully soon.

Anyway, thanks for the tip.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:52 AM   #14
Preroll

This may be ridiculous but I'm wondering if (over time) I were to do a full backup of the phone with Link, then do a security wipe of the phone, and finally do a custom restore which would include everything but eliminate restoring the email accounts (just add them back manually). I know it sounds crazy but I'm just curious if that logic would work or if it would technically not be possible. Can one do a custom restore from a full backup and not include restoring the email accounts? Also, will it restore all the other settings like profile sounds, LED colors, etc.? Just wondering... All this in an effort to wipe out a bunch of cached emails.

This should be for another thread but I ran into another issue whereby I cannot charge the phone when it is off (it will sometimes though). According to Crackberry threads, this was fixed but I don't see it. Just like I don't always get the LED alerts when a message comes in. The browser craps out every so often and says Try Again until I restart the phone. I find this phone to have numerous bugs and missing basic features like in my Bold 9930. The music player is terrible as well...album art is zoomed in so far it is cut off on the screen, albums are expanded and not collapsed, and I could go on and on.

Last edited by Preroll; 03-24-2015 at 01:55 AM..
Old 03-24-2015, 02:13 AM   #15
Preroll

Sorry for flip-flopping and derailing my own thread but in regards to my prior post, I have checked on remain on server (see pic) but now what happens is when I get the emails on both the phone and Outlook they remain on the server. I go to delete the emails from server from the phone and yet when I log into the mail server, they still remain. So yes, I have now have the messages in both places but the Blackberry is not deleting them off of the mail server. I had to log into my ISP's mail server via the web browser and manually trash them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Server Settings.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	19992  

Last edited by Preroll; 03-24-2015 at 02:15 AM..
Old 03-31-2015, 02:21 PM   #16
maggiedyer

Model: 10
Carrier: o2
Default Email icons

Can anyone help me please? On my Blackberry Curve I was able to store business and personal emails behind separate icons. Virgin business emails and Yahoo personal emails. It was easy! Now with the Classic I can't find a way [and I am a simple soul, a bit of a technowimp] to have emails behind those separate icons. It is really annoying to have to go to the hub everytime where everything is stored.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:39 PM   #17
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

@maggiedyer read my replies above.

On your old device you had a "message central" so to speak where you could view all emails, texts, etc, and plus you had app icons for isolated views of individual email accounts, text, etc.

Conceptually BB10 is the same, just organized differently. The Hub is "message central". In Hub settings you can control what appears in Hub. You can set an email account, for sample, to appear only in the Hub, appear separately, or both.

Instead of separate app icons for email accounts you access the isolated view of a particular account from message central. Either tap at the top and select from the drop down window or tap the icon at the bottom left and select the account or messages type you want to view.

If you get used to just swiping to the Hub and doing your messaging from there, then I'm sure you will one day agree that having to swipe back to the app screen to select an email icon would be more annoying.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:56 PM   #18
maggiedyer

Model: 10
Carrier: o2

Thanks, I think. My daughter is coming over tomorrow to give me some help with this. I did truly love my old BlackBerry and I am determined to get to love this one, it's just making it difficult for me but, hey, I love a challenge! Have a good day!
Old 03-31-2015, 03:48 PM   #19
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I think your bigger frustration will be some other things you used in BBOS that aren't there at all (yet) in BB10. It isn't as bad as it was with OS 10.1 because things are being added with each upgrade, but there is still a way to go. But messaging over all really isn't different, except now you have an email client as opposed to BIS, and I'm sure you will get used to the UI and different organization.

Good luck. Post if you have questions.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:45 PM   #20
ShiloFields

I just got a Classic (upgraded from a Bold). I hate the HUB. It takes three steps to get to my email account rather than just one with the bold. They need to add the ability to add icons to go directly to email accounts.
Closed Thread