Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 07:18 PM   #1
MSenra

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Blackberry Bold battery draining very fast all of a sudden

Please Login to Remove!

I've had my blackberry Bold for over 4 months now and never had a problem with battery life, but all of a sudden a couple days ago the battery has been running low quickly and wont last the day. I even tried switching batteries with no success. I am not running any applications or bluetooth and wifi. my OS is 4.6.0.162. any help would be really appreciated!
Old 04-19-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Check to see what applications are running (Alt - Escape). It could be some thing doing a lot of processing or communications (GPS/mapping or the like). Or, do you have Bluetooth on? That can drain the battery quickly as well.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:36 PM   #3
MSenra

I have absolutely no apps running besides the default ones.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:40 PM   #4
hrbuckley

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

OK, you could try a battery pull to reset it. I wasn't particularly happy with battery performance under .162, but can't say I have had your experience. I did, and do, charge it every night but under .162 I usually had 1 bar or more left, now usually 2 or 3 depending on use.

BTW I'm running .418 (top of the forum) now. If an upgrade is a possibility for you, you might want to consider it.

Last edited by hrbuckley; 04-19-2009 at 08:42 PM..
Old 04-19-2009, 10:12 PM   #5
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

What apps do you have on the phone (running or not)?

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 04-19-2009, 10:46 PM   #6
MSenra

I have the default ones plus: Maple Leafs mobile, Toronto Blue Jays mobile, The hockey news, Facebook, Shazam, Ticket master, Viigo.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:48 PM   #7
MSenra

and the weather eye app...i set it to update every 2 hours though
Old 04-20-2009, 05:37 AM   #8
CoDudette

Model: iOS
PIN: OT Noir.
Carrier: Vodafone IN

An OS upgrade might help. I'm on .266 (New beta) and battery seems a bit better. why not give an OS upgrade a try?
Old 04-20-2009, 06:49 AM   #9
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

What did you add or change right before you noticed the battery starting to drain more quickly?

Are you in an area with a good 3G signal or is the device searing between EDGE and 3G? That seems to cause a heavy battery drainif it is constantly searching.

Facebook seems to be causing some problems on some BBs, so that could be part of it. The weather app shouldn't be a primary issue as it is probably a quick update, but nevertheless it all adds up.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 04-20-2009, 07:10 AM   #10
CoDudette

Model: iOS
PIN: OT Noir.
Carrier: Vodafone IN

I didn't know FB caused battery drains :S. is this 1.5 that causes the glitch?
Old 04-20-2009, 11:50 AM   #11
MSenra

I tried to update to the new OS but I cant get it to work properly. It just takes me to a screen with all my apps. :S
Old 04-20-2009, 12:55 PM   #12
328iGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 21569E16
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSenra View Post
I have the default ones plus: Maple Leafs mobile, Toronto Blue Jays mobile, The hockey news, Facebook, Shazam, Ticket master, Viigo.
That's the issue, I hear any LEAFS based applications will suck the life out of anything and render it USELESS!

GO SENS GO!
Old 04-22-2009, 01:23 AM   #13
jooin

Model: 8100
Carrier: 8100

me too, I had not idea to deal with it.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #14
dz8
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

I'm having the same problem as the original poster. Bold was fine since I bought it (first day it was available) and I always got about 2 days worth of use (with my activity pattern).

Two - three days ago (~4/19ish), it started draining very quickly. By very quickly I mean unplug from charger in the morning and within 2 hours (with NO use) it's down to 30-50% battery.

I don't install a lot of stuff on my BB - I have had MSN Messenger and Google Maps as my only two 3rd party apps on the device since I bought it.

The only recent change was around that time I downloaded/installed Facebook 1.5 (1.5.0.31) OTA. I see that's a common denominator with me and the original poster.

I have since uninstalled Facebook 1.5 via Options->Advanced->Applications->Facebook 1.5->Delete. And it's still draining even after a couple battery pulls. I just found and removed the Facebook service book as well. I don't know if that will help or not.

No idea if the Facebook app is causing it but the timing is strange. I just saw from another thread also that AT&T pushed out new service books around the same time (a few days back ~4/19ish). People who got the new service books said they got ~11 new apps. I don't see any of those apps on my device even though I'm on AT&T. I wonder if they screwed something up during that push?

I'm still running .167. I've been holding back on upgrading to a non-AT&T release given I was having no issues with my phone up until now. This might give me a reason to finally wipe the device and upgrade to a higher version but I'd prefer not to.

Anyone else having issues and/or found a resolution? I find it weird that I'm not the only one and it seems to have happened sometime around 4/19 and the only major changes that I know of was the push of those new AT&T service books and the release of Facebook 1.5.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:50 PM   #15
dz8

Model: 9800

Nope, service book deletion didn't help. I'm losing 35% of battery every hour. And the battery is also warm. This is after pulling the battery and having run only the mail application / MSN application, both of which I have been using without issues for the last 4 months. Any chance the Facebook install put something on the phone that is not being removed when I delete the app?

I might not have a choice here - probably will have to wipe and re-install a new OS.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:47 AM   #16
pasispaul

Model: 9000
Carrier: trader

Anybody Have Blacklist Aplication For Blackberry Bold For Free,,,please
Old 04-24-2009, 06:20 AM   #17
bostonnerd

Model: z10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz8 View Post
Nope, service book deletion didn't help. I'm losing 35% of battery every hour. And the battery is also warm. This is after pulling the battery and having run only the mail application / MSN application, both of which I have been using without issues for the last 4 months. Any chance the Facebook install put something on the phone that is not being removed when I delete the app?

I might not have a choice here - probably will have to wipe and re-install a new OS.
It's happened to me across multiple firmware builds( same symptoms). The only way around it is a Wipe or new firmware install and then it starts again after a couple of weeks.

I have deleted every installed application (multiple times) without success. Seems to be in some sort of process/thread loop that heats up the battery and sucks it dry in a few hours.

Never saw this with my 8820 or 8800 while using almost the same application set.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:55 PM   #18
BoldBoss19

PIN: 20E0F320
Carrier: Turkcell

hmm...
Old 04-26-2009, 11:45 PM   #19
atuarre

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re

I am sure that something is being missed, or the users are not reporting something, as batteries do not just drain themselves. There has to be an application that is running, even if you think it is not relevant, that is causing the energy drain. Even BeejiveIM, if left running, will kill my battery. I also suggest if your battery is hot, take it out, and let it cool down completely. Every now and then, when I performed a wipe and a fresh install, my battery would get hot. I would remove the battery from the Blackberry, and let it cool down completely.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:43 PM   #20
Dorian

Carrier: Rogers & AT&T

This exact same thing started on my Bold about 2 weeks ago.

I'm on Rogers in Canada.
Closed Thread