BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 07:21 PM   #1
DoomBringer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7280
Carrier: cingular, no wait, AT&T
Default Handheld config tool walkthrough?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi everyone,
Now that I've managed to stop the durn thing from crashing all the time (previous thread), I want to know how i can use the handheld configurations tool of BES (BES4.0.5) to do some things. I've read the manual, and I just want some confirmation of things... and the manuals are kinda in total disarray.

Anyhow,
1) I need to add one application to a software configuration as allowed, and deny all the rest. In particular, this application I'm deploying requires access to the internal network, and so on, so it will need full permissions. I want to prevent untrusted applications from using the network entirely, if not outright ban them from getting installed. I've tried it out, but I'm not sure if I did it right.
2) I've heard that it can take up to 4 hours to deploy things wirelessly. (Ouch). Any way to know if I did it right without waiting the 4 hours? (I definately messed up the first try, and it never worked. I just redid it, and I hope I got it right...) I mean the software configuration and so on. If I try installing via the wire, and it works, does that mean it will (eventually) be able to do it wirelessly?

I've installed the system software as directed by the manual for the thing, and added my custom applicaiton to the configuration. I set the "Application Software" drop down box to a policy that denies all other applications from even being installed. My custom application was set to a policy that allows them.
IT Policy is set to allow 3rd party applications. Before, I was trying to do things with it turned off.

Edit: Found this thread by Khue from a while back: http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-...tion-push.html
It covers the basics.
I think I've done it all correctly, I just really dislike the long polling time.

Last edited by DoomBringer; 09-01-2006 at 08:39 PM..
Old 09-02-2006, 01:23 PM   #2
idontknow
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 6230

Its a good indication that if the applications and app control policy install over wired connection, that it will work wirelessly, assuming that you use the app loader light solution from the machine that hosts the software.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:25 PM   #3
idontknow
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 6230

And.. no there is no way to tell if the wireless push of applications will be successful without waiting the 4 hours. There are rumours floating around that you can change the 4 hour setting - DO NOT DO THIS. It can cause you more trouble than you think. NEVER DO THIS.

Aside from log watching every 30 minutes (who wants to do that) just wait the 4 hours and see.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:55 PM   #4
DoomBringer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7280
Carrier: cingular, no wait, AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by idontknow
Its a good indication that if the applications and app control policy install over wired connection, that it will work wirelessly, assuming that you use the app loader light solution from the machine that hosts the software.
I installed my application from another machine elsewhere, and it was permitted. I set all other applications to be denied, and the device rejected all other applications just fine. So it seems to have worked.
Closed Thread