EmilieL
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T
PIN: N/A
Carrier: idk
Default developping web services for MDS Studio

Please Login to Remove!

Hello everyone

I'm currently trying to develop webservices for MDS Studio.
I followed the developper lab with axis and it went well (aside from making the **** tools work)...

But it seems kinda odd to me how they make it work...
When you call the WSDL2Java tool, it creates a few classes then you have to modify the code and replace "return -3" by "return in0+in1"...
(Plus, the code if full of errors when loading it in Eclipse so I can't compile it...)

The thing is, should you be able to write ALL you code down then compile, run some tools and have a working WSDL ready to be used by MDS Studio?

'Cause if everytime you build your project and have to replace code in the generated classes to return something and you have a BIG project, that would rather be time consuming, no?

Also, I downloaded the convert.wsdl and coverted it back to the original java but I can't find the convert method anywhere...

I don't know a lot about webservices...
I tried reading some documentation but they are rather long (explaining EVERYTHING in detail like how xml works... X_X) and there's just too many ways to create webservices (VB.Net, ASP.Net, c++.net, java + axis, java + other things, using Eclipse and web dynamic project while including axis librairies)

So my question is, what do you use to create web services for MDS studio?
Are there tutorials out there that show how to create web services specifically for MDS Studio?
How did you guys get started?

Sure it's fun to know about XML but what I would like to do is create my java classes, compile, create a wsdl from my code and pass the wsdl to MSD Studio without having much more to do... is that possible?

A bit like the calculator example but without having to convert the WSDL back to java classes and modify the code there... 'cause like I said, it seems rather time consuming if you have to modify those classes each time you build and you want to test something...

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
brcewane
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers

you don't have to export the WSDL from MDS Studio... there are 3 approaches when creating a MDS Studio app..

1) top down (create all your data components, messages and generate a WSDL)

2) Bottom up (create your webservice in anything you like and then point MDS Studio to the WSDL. It will then create all the local classes/datacomponents and messages)

3) Quick start (same as bottom up, but it will build a bunch of template screens to invoke the messages)

Once you have the web service imported, if you make changes to your web service, simply right click on the data source in the project and select "update".

I'm a .NET guy myself so creating a .NET webservice is as stupid-easy as you can get.. Create an ASP.NET web service project, write a method, and put the [WebMethod] code attribute on it... DONE!!!

Then when importing it into MDS Studio/Visual Studio Plug-in just point it to the address with a "?wsdl" on the end of the url.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:52 AM   #3
EmilieL
Thumbs Must Hurt

I tried to use asp.net as in the example in the lab section but no matter what I do, just cannot create a c# project in asp.net...
this kind of project is just NOT listed in the available projects....
C++ asp.net projects are available though... I just can't seem to be able to create a c# one...

I tried so many things as to how to create a webservice, I'm all mixed up now.
Any good tutorials you could give to me?
Thanks!
Old 05-26-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
EmilieL
Thumbs Must Hurt

Found it
Yes, it seems really easy now :D
followed the .net lab and all went well...
now I just need to learn how to create local variables and the such...
IIS wasn't that easy to install and configure though... had to search the web all morning to make it work 'cause of security access and the such...
but thanks again
Closed Thread