BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 07:56 PM   #1
powlaz

Model: 7100t
Default VERY Basics

Please Login to Remove!

Please point me in the right direction. I'm looking for more pre-sales information than anything else at this point. I need to know what I need to get and if what I have will work. I can't find the right information at blackberry.com - I really need to talk to a person.

Are there BES VARs or does blackberry offer pre-sales help??

Thanks for the replies.

Po
Old 08-09-2006, 08:01 PM   #2
DoomBringer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7280
Carrier: cingular, no wait, AT&T

What do you mean?
In order to have a BES and so on, you need some server flavor of Windows, 2000 or 2003. Exchange is what most BES tend to use, but Groupwise and Notes (Notes being the worst of the lot from all accounts, not in terms of integrating with BES but in general). That provides email support.
BES needs a database, like SQL 2000. I used a decently high end distro of it.
Obviously, you'll need the devices themselves.

Thats it for tecnical requirements. A dedicated server box (can use it for other things but I'd recommend against that) and a database (which can live on the same server). Oh, setup is a real PITA but its covered in the docs decently enough...
Old 08-10-2006, 07:08 PM   #3
powlaz

Model: 7100t
Red face That's It?

The website makes it sound much more daunting. Just using your example I will need two servers, right? Exchange needs to be by itself,right? It would be great if I could load Microsoft Small Business server onto the BES server and kill two birds with one stone.

Why does BES need SQL?

So my config is starting to look like BES on a server with Windows 2003 Server and Sequel.

Another server with Windows Server 2003 and Exchange (or maybe just Microsoft Small Business Server 2003)

And yet another server w/ Windows Server 2003, Goldmine and Goldmine Integration Services for Exchange, and other misc. things that Goldmine needs: Microsoft Data Access Components, Sequel, Microsoft Message Queing.

Not to mention that Goldmine needs the Exchange server to have Mircrosoft Data Access Components

OK - so now you see why I'm saying it's daunting. If I could narrow this down to 2 servers I would be a little happier. Licensing for the Windows stuff alone has got me confused.

I liked your description better than mine. Any other thoughts?

Po
Old 08-10-2006, 08:08 PM   #4
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Contact your main carrier. They can put you in touch with a RIM representative who would be considered a 'Technical Manager / Sales Representative'. These are specialized people who, most of the time, come from a BES administrative background.