Old 08-02-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
Strugglin
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T Orange
Default Blackberry Playbook apps

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,
I recently purchased a Blackberry Playbook, and must say that I am pleased. The thing that disappoints me the most is the lack of Apps. I understand that the Android App player is coming soon to the Playbook, but I would think that more developers would create Apps for the QNX OS. I've read complaints about the challanges with creating apps for the proprietary OS used on the mobile devices. I thought QNX was easier to work with?.?

I could live with the same Apps that are available on the BB mobile devices, but most of those apps are not available for the PB.

Is everyone seriously giving up on RIM and the playbook?
Old 08-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not
Default Re: Blackberry Playbook apps

I haven't given up....yet. True there are not a lot of apps, but for me, I don't care since i don't use a lot of apps - never did on my iPad either.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
smoothadmin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9860
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strugglin View Post
Hello,
I recently purchased a Blackberry Playbook, and must say that I am pleased. The thing that disappoints me the most is the lack of Apps. I understand that the Android App player is coming soon to the Playbook, but I would think that more developers would create Apps for the QNX OS. I've read complaints about the challanges with creating apps for the proprietary OS used on the mobile devices. I thought QNX was easier to work with?.?

I could live with the same Apps that are available on the BB mobile devices, but most of those apps are not available for the PB.

Is everyone seriously giving up on RIM and the playbook?
After playing around with the Android Player on my PB I started to wonder why RIM doesn't offer a PB with only the Andriod OS installed on it. The Android OS has everything in it that QNYX does plus there are more apps for Android now...

A.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #4
Strugglin

I think the Android App player will be great for the Playbook. I also think that QNX (with Android in a virtual environment) will make the Playbook one of the most versatile tablets on the market.

Android has thousands of apps and they will be a great addition to the playbook, but I want more QNX based apps.

I've owned the iPad and the iPad2...sold them both. They seemed like oversized iPhones. The playbook feels like it has the potential to be a bit more than a Blackberry on steroids. I will stick with the playbook for a while in hopes that I see more than just the Android App player in the future.

I would love to see apps that take advantage of the ability to multi-task, as well as apps that allow for use of the camera (for chat or video conferencing).

I just hate looking at all these great useful apps on my Blackberry phone and not having any of them available for the Playbook.

RIM......It's time to step it up!!!!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #5
rockets

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telstra

I think until the Native QNX SDK is released we will see limited apps. I've found a couple of decent AIR apps lately - XBMC remote and iTunes remote which are very good. Also I've read a number of developer posts about bugs in the AIR framework that are causing issues with their apps and some others like the developer of BBSSH saying the Native SDK will be much easier for him to develop a Playbook version.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Bell Canada

I am fairly hostile to the idea of using Android on the Playbook. I feel quite confident that nobody will buy a Playbook to run Android apps, esp. if an Android tablet is even a few bucks cheaper. I am also confident that very few developers will bother writing native apps when they can write for the much larger Android market.

My reason for saying this goes back to the great days of OS/2 Warp. OS/2 was able to run Windows 3.1 apps seamlessly. OS/2 also died, except for a few diehards, because nobody wanted OS/2 when they might as well run Windows, and nobody [again, except for a few diehards] wrote apps for OS/2 when the fame and fun was all on the Windows side of the house.

Of course there were lots of other reasons for OS/2 Warp losing out in the marketplace, however I see some significant similarities. OS/2 was a superior product to Windows95, which appeared at the same time, and it had lots of rabid fans...for a while. I think if RIM wants to stay in the tablet market, it will work hard to release the QNX SDK, and not try too hard to make a competing platform more viable than it already is...
Old 08-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #7
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

No need to double post. Your other thread has been closed.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 08-05-2011, 11:59 AM   #8
Strugglin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
No need to double post. Your other thread has been closed.
Thank you, I couldn't figure out how to delete the second post.
Closed Thread