Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 01:18 AM   #1
confusedguy

Model: 9100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VODAFONE
Default buy now or wait

Please Login to Remove!

hey guys - i played around with the playbook at ces earlier this year... and i couldnt wait to get my hands on it.. however, i have been waiting on the 3g version of it for a while...

none the less, i have read things about them skipping 3g entirely and moving to 4g...

so my question is... should i go out and buy it.. or wait for a little bit for an updated hardware version of it? is there an update expected anytime soon?

thanks
kunal
Old 06-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
hack_mole

Model: 9700
Carrier: At&t
Default Re: buy now or wait

4G means it will also work with 3G networks. The answer is up to you. Will you need access where there is no Wifi? Can you get wifi access another way (mifi)?

The answer to these questions will help direct you.

In my instance I have a Mifi so the answer was easy.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Just keep in mind that you'll need to subscribe to a carrier data plan to use 3G/4G. That's another cost I personally don't want, and I'm willing to use WiFi only or BlackBerry Bridge.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:09 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

My standard answer: What do you need? And in this case, what do you need now? Answers to your question will depend on your answers to those questions.

Some are going to say nobody really needs a tablet period, and that may be true.

If real true existential need is beside the point and you are hurting to get a tablet and you can afford it, then don't wait.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:06 AM   #5
confusedguy

Model: 9100
Carrier: VODAFONE

thanks for the quick response guys... to answer your questions

- is there an urgent need for me to buy it now? no there isnt. it would be cool to have

- do i have the extra cash lying around? yes i do.. but that doesnt mean i want to throw it into something that will get replaced in another 6 months... if the new range is a year out, i would pick one up immediately instead of waiting...

- blackberry bridge lets you use the handheld network (edge, 3g, etc) on the playbook?

thanks guys
Old 06-15-2011, 06:51 AM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

The Bridge includes a browser, email, BBM, contacts, calendar, tasks, notes, and files apps.

The bridge browser on the PlayBook uses the BlackBerry smartphone's data connection, whatever that happens to be, whether GPRS, EDGE or 3G or WiFI. The other bridge apps access and use the smartphone similarly. No bridge data stays on the PlayBook after the bridge is disconnected.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Last edited by aiharkness; 06-15-2011 at 06:59 AM..
Old 06-15-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
whatsanipad
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: PB
Carrier: verizon

Sorry confusedguy, the future product plans are unknown by us mere mortals.

I have a Xoom as my primary tablet and wanted a 2nd with a bit more portability, so 7 inch screen was important to me. Already having a 3.0 Android tablet meant for me, I would not go down to 2.2 tablets.

I don't like the iPads and liked the UI and Browser of the PB.

That's my rationale: Now, if over the next 6 months there are sufficient apps developed for the PB (Skype, Kindle, Android apps, ID/PW saves in browser) I'm going to feel like I made the right decision.

If, over the next 6 months, apps are not forthcoming, then I'm going to fell like I made a bad decision.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:17 PM   #8
Hauser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Don't you feel you've already made a bad decision with the Xoom considering the vanishingly small number of tablet apps available?
Old 06-16-2011, 06:34 AM   #9
whatsanipad

Model: PB
Carrier: verizon

Not at all...I like the Xoom and it has all of the apps and functionality I need/want in a tablet.

I took a four day trip last week with the Xoom as my primary device (I had also packed my ultraportable laptop, just in case) and was able to do everything I needed on the Xoom, albeit, at a loss of productivity (I have to stay connected to 4 separate email accounts, plus reviewing contracts and project schedules pretty much every day).

In addition, the Xoom was indispensable navigating to 3 locations I was not familiar with (across New York City freeways and Brooklyn/Manhatten streets).
Old 06-18-2011, 06:14 AM   #10
smoothadmin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9860
Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedguy View Post
hey guys - i played around with the playbook at ces earlier this year... and i couldnt wait to get my hands on it.. however, i have been waiting on the 3g version of it for a while...

none the less, i have read things about them skipping 3g entirely and moving to 4g...

so my question is... should i go out and buy it.. or wait for a little bit for an updated hardware version of it? is there an update expected anytime soon?

thanks
kunal
This maybe the only Playbook available as RIM is taking a big beating in the stock market. Their shares dropped by 20% and they are already laying off people; most from areas in the company that aren't doing well such as their Playbook department; we could see this being the first and last tablet from RIM for many years.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:27 AM   #11
kitenski

Model: 7100t
Carrier: Vodafone

Do Blackberry phones use any form of hotspot tethering that the Playbook would use??
Old 07-18-2011, 05:36 AM   #12
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitenski View Post
Do Blackberry phones use any form of hotspot tethering that the Playbook would use??
No, they do not.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:44 PM   #13
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Bell Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitenski View Post
You _can_ tether your Playbook via Bluetooth to your BB phone...subject to your carrier rules. For mine [Bell Mobility] my 500gig download allowance applies whether to my phone or tethered Playbook, which is nice. I don't use it a lot, but it's there if I need it [for GPS, for eg.]
Old 07-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #14
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheA View Post
You _can_ tether your Playbook via Bluetooth to your BB phone...subject to your carrier rules. For mine [Bell Mobility] my 500gig download allowance applies whether to my phone or tethered Playbook, which is nice. I don't use it a lot, but it's there if I need it [for GPS, for eg.]
I believe you can tether via BT with any phone, not just a BB.

I recall that was one of the myths floating around before and just after release. At least that's what I think I recall......
Old 07-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #15
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

True.

I belive the poster probably doesn't understand hotspot versus tethering versus the bridge.

To be clear, the BlackBerry does not have the function to behave as a hotspot.

The BlackBerry smartphone can function as a modem for tethering, with the PlayBook, or with a computer.

The PlayBook can also use the bridge app with a BlackBerry smartphone for BIS browsing, email, BBM, etc. (but not connect to the internet with apps).