Old 11-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
JRV
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon
Default BES 5.0 sync problems

Please Login to Remove!

BES 5 MR3/EX2007 SP2

Recently upgraded to BES 5.0.0.126 from 4.1 SP6 (upgrade in place). Since the upgrade, we've had 2 multiple-user problems reported. I'm still gathering info, but wondered if anyone recognizes them and hopefully has an easy fix:

1. Many, not all, users are not receiving Meeting Requests on BBs. No commonality (group memberships, OU, BB OS, BB model) among affected users that I can see. Force Calendar resync from BAS hasn't helped. Wipe & reactivate has not helped.

2. Just heard today that, for some at least, messages are arriving in batches 15 minutes or so apart instead of nearly coincident with Outlook, as before.

TIA
Old 11-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
RadHaz75
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
PIN: BALL
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

they are likely on the same messaging agent(s) and something is wrong with the communication between bes and exchange. look through the logs, you will likely see "delayed state" notifications
Old 11-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
JRV
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for your reply.

There is just 1 BES and 1 Exchange server. I've searched the Logs folder for "delayed state" and came up empty.

I probably should have 2 different threads for these problems...it's one of those things; you never know if they're going to be related so you post it all in one place to cover your bases!

But the larger problem is the Meeting Invitations, and I can reproduce that on my test BB, so we probably should focus on that here. I need to get with the user that reported the batch mail deliveries and get more specifics.

I restarted the BES server and some previously affected users received a test Meeting Request sent afterwards. So something was up there. Some users still do not receive meeting invitations, however.

I have a test phone that's among those affected. The Meeting shows up in the Calendar with "Show Time As" set to "Tentative", and the reminder pops up at the appointed time. But the Invitation e-mail, which remains in the Inbox in Outlook, not accepted, is nowhere to be found on the BlackBerry.

I also find on my test phone that Appointments I create on the BB are not synced back to Outlook, and 2 other affected users so far confirm that. I suspect they are symptoms of the same problem.

I did have at least 2 affected users who were able to Decline the test meeting after the BES restart, so I know some have normal functionality.

As I say, wipe/reactivate doesn't solve it, so my inclination is to suspect BES. I do not know why some users and not others, but we're at 10 of 125 users now reporting the problem. A good many here seldom use the Calendar on their BBs, at least not interactively, and may not be aware they have the problem, and I have not polled all users at this point to keep the noise level down, so the real percentage is likely higher.

But I don't know where to go from that.

Last edited by JRV; 11-11-2009 at 05:50 PM..
Old 11-12-2009, 03:47 AM   #4
windbellyj

Model: 8700g
PIN: N/A
Carrier: super

i heard calendar is synced by messaging service, not sync service.
So maybe your messaging service have problems.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:45 PM   #5
JRV
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well, RIM is analyzing the logs, having ruled out CDO version problems, BES account group membership problems, and service logon problems. He's not aware of any BES 4.1.6MR6-to 5.0.0-to-5.0.0 MR3 upgrade problems with calendaring, although 5.0.0 & MR3 are the most recent and most major BES changes made shortly before appearance of the problem.

Today we also have at least 3 users for which mail flow has stopped completely. Related? Who knows.

I'll post back when I learn anything.
Closed Thread