Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
David Haddad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 0000
Carrier: Sprint
Default Question for AT&T Users Re: Setup

Please Login to Remove!

I am dreading calling AT&T and spending an hour on the phone for what should be a simple setup issue so if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

I just moved from an old BB on Sprint to a new Bold on AT&T. I set up a BB email account (user@att.blackberry.net) from my Bold. It works, but no matter what I do I can only access it from the Bold, not from my computer at att.com/blackberrystart ("no account matches" or some such nonsense).

Is there some trick or step I have to take to activate online access to my email account? I entered the pin online to retrieve the user name and password to see why it was rejecting me and it sends my device an email that says "your device has no account or password associated with it".

The other thing that I find a bit unusual compared to my past Sprint sevice with BB is that I appear to be able to set up pop accounts even without a BB email account set up! With Sprint I had to have a BB email address, from which I could then go in and manage my assorted pop addresses. If that is not required, then how can I have a central place to manage my POP accounts (other than from the Bold itself)?!

Thanks

Last edited by David Haddad; 01-13-2009 at 04:33 PM..
Old 01-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Haddad View Post
I am dreading calling AT&T and spending an hour on the phone for what should be a simple setup issue so if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

I just moved from an old BB on Sprint to a new Bold on AT&T. I set up a BB email account (user@att.blackberry.net) from my Bold. It works, but no matter what I do I can only access it from the Bold, not from my computer at att.com/blackberrystart ("no account matches" or some such nonsense).
This BB email account is only accessible from your BB, and cannot be accessed by any other means. It also tends to collect spam quickly. This account is not required and a lot of folks don't even use it.

Quote:
Is there some trick or step I have to take to activate online access to my email account? I entered the pin online to retrieve the user name and password to see why it was rejecting me and it sends my device an email that says "your device has no account or password associated with it".
This means that you have not defined a username/password combo to login via the BIS portal on the web. You need to create that on the device first. You can do this through the personal email setup.

Quote:
The other thing that I find a bit unusual compared to my past Sprint sevice with BB is that I appear to be able to set up pop accounts even without a BB email account set up! With Sprint I had to have a BB email address, from which I could then go in and manage my assorted pop addresses. If that is not required, then how can I have a central place to manage my POP accounts (other than from the Bold itself)?!

Thanks
When you create your username/password via personal email setup, this is the account to which all other emails are tied. You can manage them all through that username.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
David Haddad
Thumbs Must Hurt

THANKS! You just saved me a lot of misery. Fixed!
Old 01-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
CO_BBTechie

Excellent!! Mad comprehension skills! I thought for sure it was going to take a couple back-and-forth Q&A's... This is not the easiest topic to discuss
Old 01-13-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
David Haddad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
Excellent!! Mad comprehension skills! I thought for sure it was going to take a couple back-and-forth Q&A's... This is not the easiest topic to discuss
Well since I made it so easy , let me hit you with another question. I have a rather detailed email config. Bear with me. I have an Exchange account that I use BES with (not on the Bold yet). I use several computers to access my Exchange account using my Outlook client. I also use my Outlook clients to check several pop accounts and use rules to direct them into various folders in my Exchange account (as opposed to a directing them to a pst folder). In order to receive email from those pop accounts on my Blackberry AND be able to respond using the appropriate pop email address I set up each of those accounts using BIS and set it to BCC any message I send to the same account. Now I have a decent "emulation" of BES for my pop accounts too. Follow me so far ?

Only small issue is that since I often have my computer on and automatically retrieving email, on very rare occasions my Outlook client might grab an email from a pop account before it can be pushed to my BB. In which case it directs it to an Exchange folder using a rule, my BB does not go off, and I do not see the message on the BB (though I could find it if I searched through my folders on my BB).

So (are you sighing yet ), the way I addressed that was to set up my Outlook clients to leave copies of messages on the server for a day before deleting them, that way my BB ALWAYS gets the message even if my Outlook client gets to a message first. The only hiccup with this setup is now if I go to a second computer and check my messages, because messages re left on the server, the second Outlook client downloads the messages again and I get duplicates.

Since you are obviously a power user, is there a better way I could set this up?

Thanks
Old 01-13-2009, 06:02 PM   #6
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)

Quote:
Well since I made it so easy , let me hit you with another question. I have a rather detailed email config. Bear with me. I have an Exchange account that I use BES with (not on the Bold yet). I use several computers to access my Exchange account using my Outlook client. I also use my Outlook clients to check several pop accounts and use rules to direct them into various folders in my Exchange account (as opposed to a directing them to a pst folder). In order to receive email from those pop accounts on my Blackberry AND be able to respond using the appropriate pop email address I set up each of those accounts using BIS and set it to BCC any message I send to the same account. Now I have a decent "emulation" of BES for my pop accounts too. Follow me so far ?

Only small issue is that since I often have my computer on and automatically retrieving email, on very rare occasions my Outlook client might grab an email from a pop account before it can be pushed to my BB. In which case it directs it to an Exchange folder using a rule, my BB does not go off, and I do not see the message on the BB (though I could find it if I searched through my folders on my BB).

So (are you sighing yet ), the way I addressed that was to set up my Outlook clients to leave copies of messages on the server for a day before deleting them, that way my BB ALWAYS gets the message even if my Outlook client gets to a message first. The only hiccup with this setup is now if I go to a second computer and check my messages, because messages re left on the server, the second Outlook client downloads the messages again and I get duplicates.

Since you are obviously a power user, is there a better way I could set this up?

Thanks
Not sighing but I feel a headache coming on! lol!

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs

Last edited by Thatzmister2u; 01-13-2009 at 06:04 PM..
Old 01-13-2009, 06:07 PM   #7
CO_BBTechie

If I understand this correctly, and that's not a certainty, it seems like you need to have additional folders redirected to your device from the BES. Since currently you're likely only getting messages that sit in your inbox. Once routed to another folder they essentially become ineligible for forwarding.

If my assessment is correct, you (or your BES admin) need to add the folders that you use to file the message(s) to redirect.

On the BES, select user (you) and under "service access" select "choose folders for redirection"

Am I close? LOL
Old 01-14-2009, 04:29 PM   #8
David Haddad
Thumbs Must Hurt

lol, thanks guys. I won't give anyone any more headaches, especially since it appears that the "workaound" I was employing to meet my needs is no longer necessary, perhaps due to the latest version of BES. But I do have a more straightforward question. As I mentioned, I have a bunch of email accounts that through rules get directed to folders. These are low priority accounts that I do not want to know about when a new message comes in. Newsgroup postings like this that I have subscribed to. Now my Bold goes off for EVERY new message I get. Can I tell my BES provider that I only want folders x, y and z to trigger a "new message" alert?

I am not sure if that was what you were referring to when you said "you (or your BES admin) need to add the folders that you use to file the message(s) to redirect".

Thanks
Old 01-14-2009, 04:33 PM   #9
CO_BBTechie

Yes, I would ask your BES provider's admin to eliminate those folders from redirection. They may include them all by default.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:12 PM   #10
David Haddad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Sigh. It seems like what I want to do is not so unusual but every time I switch devices it is pure torture getting my hosting company to get it working the way I want. I had them make the change you suggested. Now it stopped the alerts for everything but the alerts I need do not work properly.

Exchange Inbox
  1. Exchange Folder # 1 (Yahoo business pop account # 1 is directed to this folder via a rule)
  2. Exchange Folder # 2 (Yahoo business pop account # 2 is directed to this folder via a rule)

Both pop accounts shown above are set up with BIS on the AT&T site. Now what happens is:
If my BB gets them before Outlook does, I get an alert. The MOMENT Outlook downloads them they disappear from my BB altogether! Both from the BIS mail folder/icon for the individual accounts AND from the main message folder that aggregates all accounts that are redirected in my Exchange folder. And the only way I even get a notice is if my BB gets to them before Exchange (i.e. through BIS). So it is almost as thought he has turned it off for every folder though I am quite sure he did not, but even if he did that I am at a loss for why they are now disappearing from the BIS folders on the BB.

Any ideas? Am I making any sense here?

Last edited by David Haddad; 01-14-2009 at 06:14 PM..
Old 01-14-2009, 06:34 PM   #11
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Sounds like on your computer you need to go to account settings and tell Outlook to "Leave mail on server" or something to that effect.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:06 PM   #12
David Haddad
Thumbs Must Hurt

Perhaps, but not according to my reasoning. Even if the messages disappear from the BB pop folder/icon, they should not be disappearing from the main BB message folder that shows Exchange folders that are set up for redirection.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:30 PM   #13
David Haddad
Thumbs Must Hurt

To further elaborate in case this is relevant, it appears a message only stays in the main message folder if I open it on the BB. Otherwise they disappear once I have looked at them in Outlook.
Closed Thread