Old 03-21-2009, 10:49 PM   #1
DS28
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default former BIS user; I want to use hosted Exchange/BES

Please Login to Remove!

I've done a lot of reading and forum browsing, and I think I've almost got everything covered.

I'm currently using just BIS, using an 8330, and (primarily) a Mac. I really would like to sync my calendars and contacts OTA, and am not fond of using GoogleSync, so that's out. My appointments often contain confidential info, so I'd rather use a paid service with more robust privacy, confidentiality, and reliability. I currently use iCal/Address Book on my Mac, but would be willing to switch to Entourage if it meant seamless syncing.

I work in the non-profit sector, so I'm paying for this out of pocket for the sake of convenience and efficiency.

I could care less about email sync, as I don't find my current load unmanageable via handheld. I know I get a hosted email account, but I don't plan on using it for messaging. Really, I'm just paying for the OTA sync.

I was thinking of using MailStreet or some of the other hosted Exchange/BES service. I've had BIS for a few years now, so I just want to make sure I'll still have all the features I enjoy now on BIS. My current VZW BB plan includes BES access, so that part is covered.

1) Are there any simpler/cheaper solutions I'm overlooking?

2) I can still integrate personal IMAP accounts via BIS, right? So if I want 99% of my emails to be sent from my @blahblah.com personal IMAP account, can I do this?

3) Will OWA let me manage my calendar/tasks/to-do's?

4) Since I'm signing up for BES, I'm assuming I get an IT policy on my device. Do these hosted Exchange providers lock anything down?

5) How frequent are outages? From what I've read, it looks like if Company X is having an outage, I won't have BES email, web browsing, etc?

Thanks for any feedback!

Last edited by DS28; 03-21-2009 at 11:26 PM..
Old 03-22-2009, 08:40 AM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

What do you need to have sync OTA? If it is just contacts and Calendar, then Google can do that for free. If you really feel the need to have instant email, then you might want to think if spending $15 more a month on the BES data plan and $10 to $20 more for hosted BES is really worth it.

BIS is $30 and Google is free. Works for me anyway. I can live with the 15 minute email delay.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 03-22-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
DS28
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
What do you need to have sync OTA? If it is just contacts and Calendar, then Google can do that for free. If you really feel the need to have instant email, then you might want to think if spending $15 more a month on the BES data plan and $10 to $20 more for hosted BES is really worth it.

BIS is $30 and Google is free. Works for me anyway. I can live with the 15 minute email delay.
Thanks for the reply. I need to sync my calendar, tasks, contacts, and notes. I don't want to use GoogleSync because it only does 2 of these 4, and I also have concerns about privacy and reliability. My calendar entries contain confidential info. Also, the instant email isn't the most important part.

These are the questions I had before jumping to hosted BES:

1) Are there any simpler/cheaper solutions I'm overlooking?

2) I can still integrate personal IMAP accounts via BIS, right? So if I want 99% of my emails to be sent from my @blahblah.com personal IMAP account, can I do this?

4) Since I'm signing up for BES, I'm assuming I get an IT policy on my device. Do these hosted Exchange providers lock anything down?

5) How frequent are outages? From what I've read, it looks like if Company X is having an outage, I won't have BES email, web browsing, etc?

Thanks! Sorry if this is a long post.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

You would have similar security issues with a hosted BES that you would have with Google.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 03-22-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

True but on hosted BES, the BES could monitor even more then Google could, Google would be safer then trusting someone else with your BB on thier BES.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 03-22-2009, 06:18 PM   #6
DS28
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
You would have similar security issues with a hosted BES that you would have with Google.
In terms of someone snooping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
True but on hosted BES, the BES could monitor even more then Google could, Google would be safer then trusting someone else with your BB on thier BES.
You guys raised a good point. But... I really don't want to deal with the trials and tribulations of using beta sync software (GoogleSync), given the various kinks that seem to still pop up.

Also, as I mentioned before, GoogleSync does not help me out with notes or tasks, and I also don't want my contacts imported as Google Contacts.

Sorry if I'm being picky. I'd really like to know more about hosted BES options and benefits/risks.

Can anyone let me know about the rest of my questions?

Last edited by DS28; 03-22-2009 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: consolidation
Old 03-22-2009, 06:49 PM   #7
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

I would look at ThinkPost.net they seem to be reliable.

Also have BBerrySync.

Follow me on Twitter
Closed Thread