BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Should RIM give the user more control over their systems such as an adv task manager?
Yes 6 37.50%
No 10 62.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 05:54 PM   #41
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: 3053D7B3
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIOLATOR View Post
Be it consumer end cost increase to include additional features, program size, compatibility problems, etc.
you are probably right about that...i just hope that they realize in the near future the potential market they could gain by upping the ante a bit

Quote:
The abilities and function of the mobile phone have drastically changed in the last several years and I fully anticipate in a few more years these phones will dam near be the full equivalent of a laptop.
I think they are already at that point in most respects. The only difference is hardware constraints. The BlackBerry appeals to me so much because of the simultaneous application execution features. I have a bluetooth wireless keyboard for my blackberry with a stand built in so i can place my blackberry on it while typing...it turns it into an awesome laptop for surfing the net and typing in office documents and emailing etc...etc...i can get on youtube, pandora, stream internet radio, listen to my music, watch movies...everything you can think of...i wouldn't try any type of multimedia editing or programming on it or high end gaming, but the rest is already there...it's a gps, phone, laptop, communicator, office, movie player, communicator, internet device...it's almost everything i want and more...totally stoked that the storm supports stereo bluetooth headphones...

Quote:
I know that did not answer any of the OP's questions but since this thread has kind of turned into a debate - I just figured I would throw my 2 cents and reiterate that I am truly enjoying reading this thread.
sorry i turned it into a debate...couldn't help it...i needed a place to vent my concerns and frustration...maybe i can fine tune my points of interest and make a viable communication of user feedback to RIM and help them guide their development for the better...

and I appreciate your 2 cents (worth more these days thanks to deflation!) and glad your enjoying it!
Old 04-04-2009, 08:54 PM   #42
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSamfield View Post
sorry i turned it into a debate...couldn't help it...i needed a place to vent my concerns and frustration...maybe i can fine tune my points of interest and make a viable communication of user feedback to RIM and help them guide their development for the better...

and I appreciate your 2 cents (worth more these days thanks to deflation!) and glad your enjoying it!
While I can certainly appreciate your desire to vent, I would like to strongly suggest that you work on your spelling, grammar, and writing style before you make any attempt to contact RIM. If you were to write a message today in the same style in which you've continued to post, I am fairly certain your message will be filed in the rubbish bin straight away.

Last edited by dc/dc; 04-04-2009 at 08:55 PM..
Old 04-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #43
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'm running a program that I downloaded from the App Store called GPS tracker and it has an option called "Auto-start on boot". This to me implies that some sort of configuration file like a registry is being used to initiate certain processes when the phone boots up from a battery pull when the OS loads the init() program.

Any ideas where this might be located? I'm going to start studying the API and see if I can find this anywhere.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:53 AM   #44
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Honestly is you start start studying the API and start "cracking" the BB OS.. I doubt it would as secure as it is.

BB OS architecture is going to be completely different from windows.

(if you must though, I would consider starting with COD files these seem to be the OS files itself.)

Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-05-2009, 10:26 AM   #45
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

Sure it's going to be different, but it will be very similar also. It's an operating system that has similar components to it. It's not really cracking either, I just want to either create the app myself or find one that already exists either built-in to the OS or third party that I can use to control the boot-up applications.

The COD files won't help because they are obfuscated and Java byte code and I really don't want to deal with that. I just want someone that either knows already about the answer to help me out or somebody at RIM that knows the OS inside and out that can lend a hand to creating such a third party app or something of that nature.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:36 AM   #46
SteveO86

May want to start peeking into the developer forum.

Developer Forum - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community
BlackBerry - BlackBerry Developer Zone

I would also like to throw it out there, your profile says 4.7.0.75, have you upgraded your OS at all? (That wouuld be an ideal place to start) Upgrading the OS may make the phone snappier for you. Although will not fix your other concerns.

Note: Wireless Upgrade was never enabled by VZW so I'd ignore it for now.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #47
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

so the wireless upgrade option does not work on a verizon phone? why would they do that?
Old 04-05-2009, 11:13 AM   #48
SteveO86

VZW never enabled the feature in BIS. So for now it's utterly useless.

Why VZW block GPS on non-Storms.. They can..

I'm not sure if any carrier has Wireless Upgrade enabled for that matter. (I thought AT&T turned on but that may have been a rumor)

Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-05-2009, 11:24 AM   #49
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

so how will i get a upgrade notification for my OS?

when i check it now, it says there are no new updates available, but from what i've heard VZW has not released it officially yet

am i mistaken about what you mean wireless upgrade?

and what are you talking about with GPS blocking? i'm confused by what you mean
Old 04-05-2009, 11:44 AM   #50
SteveO86

You won't get an Update OS notification.. Pretty much the only way you will find out their is an update for your device is by checking these forums, the 95xx forums, there is a sticky at the top with the latest OS.

As far as wireless upgrade, just completely forget about the option/ability, it does not do anything... yet.

GPS is blocked on all VZW BlackBerries except the Storm, something that VZW likes to do. (A mini-rant from me, just an an example "Why is GPS blocked" "Why doesn't wireless upgrade work" Answer: "It's VZW it's what they do.")

Looks like I was mistaken, Bell is running a newer OS not VZW... Scratch that idea, unless you want to install an OS from different carrier/or a beta OS.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-05-2009, 02:30 PM   #51
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
the Blackberry is less restricting than the iPhone as far as apps and media storage...the apps on an iPhone are restricted through apple's policies and approval and any third party apps not approved by apple void warranties and so on...

Blackberry has actually been the Microsoft of mobile computing for a while now with their less centralized app development and control over the third party apps

for example, the iPhone got it's first office application back in september...the Blackberry has had office apps for a much longer time...blackberry is ahead of the curve in most respects
due to time frame out right? and adoption? sorta like viruses work, why are pc's running windows prone to viruses or about 99.9% of viruses written for windows not ubuntu, osx, freebsd, or other systems. due to market shares, who cares if you can hack, compromise 10% of the market when 90% gives even more then that 10?

also, how many people using a pc, even know what msconfig is. or regedit?
most dont even know what a task manager is.

but the bottom line its a device created to a certain task, what you can / cant do is limited to the developers of said device. 95% of the os'es on these devices are stripped down to basics, with alot of functions not avaible, for resources or security.

but you cant compare a blackberry to a drm device. which the iphone is.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #52
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
due to time frame out right? and adoption?
i am confused on what you were trying to say

i agree that a blackberry is not a drm influenced device like the iphone, but this device is not limited or stripped down tremendously...at least not enough to ask for these features...i just want to stop AIM from auto-starting...there has to be a way to do this since AIM installed itself to auto-start...there should be a way to remove the auto-start...capiche?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
but the bottom line its a device created to a certain task, what you can / cant do is limited to the developers of said device. 95% of the os'es on these devices are stripped down to basics, with alot of functions not avaible, for resources or security.
what certain task or tasks is the BlackBerry confined or designed to do? beyond being a phone and a GPS, it's a multimedia player, internet device that has all the components of a general purpose computer...it's got excel, word, powerpoint, IM clients, Gmail, email, calendars, calculators, rss readers, bluetooth and usb capability, external storage capability, and it has two cores with a total of over 600 mhz in processing power with 16 GB secondary storage....that's more than my first few computers in specs
Old 04-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #53
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

it does have alot of features like a computer, however, most devices do, as society is getting more and more mobile. it is a demand for todays workforce andcunsumers. the berry was designed for business... so it has alot of business functionality.

it can do anything important that you need it to. in fact, it can do anything BUT the stupid things you see in the iphone commercials. and really, who needs a separate app to tell you the amount you owe on a bill? and when are you going to balance a bookcase with your phone?? huh?
Old 04-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #54
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

hate to break it to you, but those apps exist for the blackberry storm...there is a free version of the blackberry level on the app store and they have a bill and tip application too...it's all going to get created...

it is a freakin computer end of story...tired of arguing that on here

Last edited by JasonSamfield; 04-05-2009 at 03:20 PM..
Old 04-05-2009, 03:19 PM   #55
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
You won't get an Update OS notification.. Pretty much the only way you will find out their is an update for your device is by checking these forums, the 95xx forums, there is a sticky at the top with the latest OS.

As far as wireless upgrade, just completely forget about the option/ability, it does not do anything... yet.

GPS is blocked on all VZW BlackBerries except the Storm, something that VZW likes to do. (A mini-rant from me, just an an example "Why is GPS blocked" "Why doesn't wireless upgrade work" Answer: "It's VZW it's what they do.")

Looks like I was mistaken, Bell is running a newer OS not VZW... Scratch that idea, unless you want to install an OS from different carrier/or a beta OS.
well that's lame and i think the users should protest somehow...consumer power should be in our hands

why waste the space on my precious memory for the feature of a wireless upgrade if i can't do it...and you don't know of a mailing list or anything that will let me know when the latest OS update is released?
Old 04-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #56
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
i am confused on what you were trying to say

i agree that a blackberry is not a drm influenced device like the iphone, but this device is not limited or stripped down tremendously...at least not enough to ask for these features...i just want to stop AIM from auto-starting...there has to be a way to do this since AIM installed itself to auto-start...there should be a way to remove the auto-start...capiche?

what certain task or tasks is the BlackBerry confined or designed to do? beyond being a phone and a GPS, it's a multimedia player, internet device that has all the components of a general purpose computer...it's got excel, word, powerpoint, IM clients, Gmail, email, calendars, calculators, rss readers, bluetooth and usb capability, external storage capability, and it has two cores with a total of over 600 mhz in processing power with 16 GB secondary storage....that's more than my first few computers in specs
i just jivetalk for all im's so the aol i'm not sure, i check the settings under options/applications/aol if you can change a setting from auto starting tho i dont have a storm, some applications control can be changed on my curve their.

as for tasks, a blackberry is a communications device above all, push email, unlike an iphone where i can actually hide the phone part from it, a bb is just that, a cell phone with communications, from im's to email to voice. its a portable communications device, not a pc.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:40 PM   #57
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

well i'm going to quit arguing, but i still know i'm right...you have not proven to me that it is not a computer....

like i said, it's a 600 mhz dual core 16 GB secondary storage computer...i can disbable the mobile network and then it's just a PC...i can reenable it to give me the data services that provide my internet (my NIC)...and it just happens to also be a phone and GPS unit

if you want to continue discussing why the BB Storm is or is not a computer, then give me your top 5 reasons for why it is not a computer and i will respond with why i think it is...otherwise, i'm done trying to convert non-believers
Old 04-05-2009, 04:41 PM   #58
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

what IM services does jivetalk allow?

or maybe a better questions, which of the following does it not allow?

facebook, myspace, gtalk, aim, yahoo, bb messenger, skype, qq, pidgin
Old 04-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #59
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

It allows all but qq and pidgin. It is not yet available for the Storm.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 04-05-2009, 04:49 PM   #60
JasonSamfield
Thumbs Must Hurt

ok then, so that counts me out...i'll just wait until better apps get made for the storm
Closed Thread