Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 07:24 AM   #1
chomiczewski

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Default Deleted emails with BIS & Register.com

Please Login to Remove!

Folks,

After a great deal of struggle and phone conversations with AT&T, RIM and Register.com, I found the source of my disappearing emails to be a simple set up issue.

After purchasing the Curve from AT&T, I set up two BIS email accounts; one for work and one personal. Both emails were detected automatically by the BB mail set up. My work email is through Register.com and my personal email is through Comcast.

The problem: After a day of setting up everything, my work emails began to disappear. Personal email was ok. After a couple days of the deleted emails, I contacted AT&T and they tried a few things. Next day same thing happened and they put RIM on the phone. RIM spent some time with me checking settings on the BB site and found my work email account was detected as IMAP. On my Outlook it was set up as POP3. After downloading emails the server was empty, so my device would sync up and delete those emails on my BB device. RIM told me to set up my Outlook email as IMAP account. Unfortunately I could not get IMAP to work in Outlook. I called Register.com and they were helpful at first, but after going through email setup and it just not working, they told me to just set it up as POP3. I explained to them the problem I was having with my BB, so we tried it again. IMAP would not work. They then pushed me to just set it up as POP3 and that other people at Register.com have BB's and it works. I tried getting some explanation on why their server was telling my BB account that it was an IMAP server, but no explanations and the hard stance went into effect. They said they have no control over Outlook and POP3 was my only option. I thought I was screwed. After poking around some more I found the source of the problem.

The answer: I went back and checked both of my BB email accounts and noticed that my personal email detected POP3 from Comcast. I also noticed that on my personal email account the "sync emails from this mailbox with my device" was NOT checked, but it was checked on my work email account setting. Apparently the default setting for POP3 is to NOT syncronize, but when it detects IMAP, that setting is checked TO syncronize. I un-checked that setting in my work email account and all is well now.

I appreciate all of the help from this forum I thought I would post this note to hopefully save someone else the frustration.

Thanks

Mark
Old 06-21-2008, 07:59 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Good to know, thanks for the update.
Closed Thread