Exclamation If you have dust under the screen

Please Login to Remove!

YouTube - Blackberry Curve 8300 Screen Removal & Take Apart
Old 09-14-2007, 12:00 AM   #2
nupi

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Have you tried the procedure? were you able to get the dust out?

When the lens and cover come off, is there another cover over the actual LCD?
Old 09-14-2007, 03:25 AM   #3
hadji
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Orange Romania

Thanks Bigme,

It's was pretty easy to take off the cover, after that you just have to clean the screen with something very clean and soft, and that's it, NO MORE DUST
There is not another cover over the LCD, after take off the cover you get directly to it.

Last edited by hadji; 09-14-2007 at 03:26 AM..
Old 09-14-2007, 01:37 PM   #4
Hemiolia
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Holy cow, you have to do ALL THAT, *AND* void your warrenty to get a few specks of dust out of under the screen?

No thanks.

T-Mobile has always been generous with their handset exchange program when I kept getting dust under my screen on my RAZR a couple years back.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:20 PM   #5
six2one
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 240993fc
Carrier: AT&T/NSA

well im on att and past my 30days...so there is no warranty in that regard. i have a ton of dust behind my screen..i was thinking about opening it up and cleaning it then figuring out how to stop it from happening again....BUT..i just got a new job and i cant have a camera any longer sooooo i am naturally interested in the 8820, so i may not fix this phone unless i keep it as a backup. has anyone fixed it for good yet? any ideas?
Old 09-14-2007, 02:53 PM   #6
bigme
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemiolia View Post
Holy cow, you have to do ALL THAT, *AND* void your warrenty to get a few specks of dust out of under the screen?

No thanks.

T-Mobile has always been generous with their handset exchange program when I kept getting dust under my screen on my RAZR a couple years back.
How is this going to void your warranty. There are no stickers or badging that you need to replace. Plus the warranty you think you have you might want to check on.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:54 PM   #7
bigme
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nupi View Post
Have you tried the procedure? were you able to get the dust out?

When the lens and cover come off, is there another cover over the actual LCD?
I have done this on my own phone and it worked perfectly. Just an FYI for those wanting to do this, the video does not tell you but you will need a T5 torx for the two screws you need to remove.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:10 PM   #8
kerph32
Thumbs Must Hurt

funny how they word it... "after you remove the battery, go ahead and remove the battery door"

must have missed the battery quick eject while reading the manual
Old 09-15-2007, 10:35 AM   #9
fishead00
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: att

did any one have problems tightening the screws after taking them ou...I cant seem to get them back in
Old 09-16-2007, 12:41 PM   #10
1baker2g
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310

I'm sure dust will get in there again. So then what you take it apart again? Each time you take it apart I'm sure more dust is getting in other places. I have a lot of dust under the outer cover. I'm thinking its better to deal withit then to risk getting dust elsewhere.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:01 PM   #11
akg
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: Mont Blanc

I used a T6 Torx and it fit perfectly.

I really don't see how this would void your warranty. The video said that probably as a disclaimer so that no one comes at them if they mess something up and void the warranty. Like a previous poster said, there are no stickers or anything indicating a "seal".

I don't exactly jump at the thought of getting a new BB anyway; first of all, it's probably a refurb. Second, it has a different PIN and now I have to update it with my contacts and get new registration codes for all my software that's sold as user licensed...but I have to repurchase the ones that were sold under device licenses.

BES 4.1.6 Exchange 2003 SP2
Old 09-17-2007, 11:21 PM   #12
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Guys forget it!!! At this moment every Curve on Gods green earth will somehow, some way, get dust inside of it! As explained by other members on the Forum in different threads, this is a common problem with some RIM devices! A La- early 8700 series,
Pearls, and now the Curve!

Rim has extremely dropped the ball with the build quality of some of their devices as of late. Too many things to list here, but I'd have to say the dust thing is something that they could have prevented by sealing the sides of the device!

Face it guys! While we're all in luv with our Berrys and all that they do, their maker is just using lesser and lesser quality building material with every new device outing. As I've said in other posts, my attention has drifted towards HTC and their Tytn2 (Tilt) as my next primary device! Time will tell if it lives up to the hype! Hopefully I'll find out sooner then later!
Old 09-20-2007, 09:15 PM   #13
hyedipin
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: T-Mobile 2001-2007, AT&T 8/26/07 ->

I got dust under the screen and i am NOT going through all that to get the damn dust outta there. Let's watch the dude put it back together, it will probably fall apart at the first contact with concrete... Don't need that, but good info.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:06 AM   #14
kerph32
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
Guys forget it!!! At this moment every Curve on Gods green earth will somehow, some way, get dust inside of it! As explained by other members on the Forum in different threads, this is a common problem with some RIM devices! A La- early 8700 series,
Pearls, and now the Curve!

Rim has extremely dropped the ball with the build quality of some of their devices as of late. Too many things to list here, but I'd have to say the dust thing is something that they could have prevented by sealing the sides of the device!

Face it guys! While we're all in luv with our Berrys and all that they do, their maker is just using lesser and lesser quality building material with every new device outing. As I've said in other posts, my attention has drifted towards HTC and their Tytn2 (Tilt) as my next primary device! Time will tell if it lives up to the hype! Hopefully I'll find out sooner then later!
!! So what did you end up doing!! Did you keep the blackberry or get a Tilt!! I love my Curve still!
Old 01-18-2008, 11:03 PM   #15
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
Guys forget it!!! At this moment every Curve on Gods green earth will somehow, some way, get dust inside of it!
I disagree. I had my 8300 for quite a while...and had no dust problems, nor any structural (creaks & squeeks) issues at all. My current 8310 has proven to be just as reliable and issue-free as the original Curve. No dust, no build quality issues at all. My 8800 didn't have any glitches either. Maybe I have had a lot of flukes...

I must ask you "dusters"...how do you carry your BlackBerrys? If you tend to carry yours in a pant or shirt pocket, I imagine there is plenty of dust, lint and crap there to do the trick. I suggest you try using a belt-clip leather pouch or a hard case a la the Seidio rubberized or hybrid hard cases to minimize your Curve's exposure to the elements.
Closed Thread