Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
Mr B

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Default Sooo Disappointed with my new Blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

I'd had a Nokia E63 (a cut-down E71) for a couple of weeks, but I had to return it because of problems with the network. So I went looking for another deal. I'd always thought of Nokia as a cheap copy of Blackberry – so when I got offered a deal which included a Curve 8900, I grabbed it.

The hardware looked great – but then I tried using the software...
The browser wouldn't display my most-used site (Nokia had had no problem). Luckily, the site has a cut-down page for "people with old browsers" (otherwise it would have been a deal-breaker).
The spreadsheet wouldn't provide some basic functionality (eg change column width) unless I was willing to buy an upgrade (Nokia, of course, had no problem). I really hate getting "free" software which turns out to be just a marketing "taster".
The "sync" function for calendar isn't, really. I can either "sync" to a CSV file (really just a form of backup); or to Yahoo – an on-line diary. If I wanted to use an on-line diary, why would I need another one in my (on-line) phone? I don't have Outlook, and don't get offered that as an option. (Nokia syncs with the supplied Windows Calendar – not the greatest in the world, but it works.)
I tripped over all these in the first couple of hours of familiarisation. Have Blackberry just given up on their supplied software, assuming that everyone will download apps that actually do the job? – Talking of which, can anyone suggest any that will make my phone do what I need?

Then there's the hardware. Yes it looks great and seems to perform, but the manual is very scary. I quote:

If you wear the BlackBerry device on your body, always put the device in a holster equipped with an integrated belt clip supplied or approved by Research In Motion. Carrying solutions, including RIM approved carrying solutions and carrying solutions not approved by RIM that do not come with an integrated belt clip should not be worn or carried on the body. (my emphasis)

The Safety and Product Information adds that:

If you do not use a holster equipped with an integrated belt clip supplied or approved by RIM when you carry the BlackBerry device, keep the BlackBerry device at least 0.98 inches (25 mm) from your body when the BlackBerry device is turned on and connected to a wireless network. When using any data feature of the BlackBerry device, with or without a USB cable, hold the BlackBerry device at least 0.98 inches (25 mm) from your body. Using accessories that are not supplied or approved by RIM might cause your BlackBerry device to exceed radio frequency (RF) exposure guidelines. (my emphasis again)

Just how dangerous is the Blackberry, no other phones use this sort of warning. Does it have a much stronger signal than the others? No phone is worth exceeding radio frequency exposure guidelines (ie risking cancer) for.

Can anyone put my mind at rest about the RF risk, and/or help me to get properly functioning software?
Old 06-13-2009, 02:12 PM   #2
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Don't worry about RF exposure. You'll die from everything else before that. I promise.

Also, as far as your other issues, give the device some time. BlackBerry is honestly one of the best mobile operating systems as far as ease of use, stability, etc.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

Wirelessly posted (MY 8900)

Yes. As dc/dc said, do not worry about the rf.

And the blackberry is one opf the better smartphones out today. However, if it doesn't work for you, you may want to check out the higher end nokia phones if u want to keep nokia
Old 06-13-2009, 03:05 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Blackberrys are different. If it doesn't work for you, find what does.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #5
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

RF exposure.. Think about the toxins you breathe in everyday just walking outside.. Nothing to worry about. Other phones do have a similar warning it's just hidden.

The BB browser if mainly for mobile sites, try Opera Mini or Bolt see you like them more.

Spread Sheets, If you are a big document guy I would try eOffice or Docs To Go Premium.

Calendar Sync.. Only syncs with 4 things pick one, no alternate for that. May want to buy Outlook.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 06-13-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Return it.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 06-14-2009, 03:09 AM   #7
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

That "only carry your phone in approved case" is the same with many manufactures, not just BB. Why didn't you just get the E71, from what I read, it seems like a nice device and got good reviews.

Last edited by ArgonNJ; 06-14-2009 at 03:11 AM..
Old 06-14-2009, 07:08 AM   #8
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

A BB is not a Nokia. They are different devices and you cannot make your BB do the things the Nokia does and vice versa. If you re not willing to try out the BB fully, then my advice is return it for a new Nokia. You won't be happy until you do.

What do you need the device to do? We cannot give any suggestions on software without an idea of the other problems you are experiencing. The BB is great as a business tool. Email is great. I assume that you have a BB data plan. Calendar, contacts, tasks and memos are adequate for most.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 06-15-2009, 04:46 PM   #9
Mr B

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Default Thanks

Hi everyone
Thanks for the feedback. I've done as several of you suggested - returned my Blackberry and gone for a Nokia E71. So this will be my last post.

(BTW - just in case any of you run into a similar problem - the site that Blackberry browser can't handle uses cascading style sheets.)

All the Best
Closed Thread