Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
Cc2iscooL

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Certain Apps Do Not Retain Settings After OS Upgrade

Please Login to Remove!

Hey guys, having a bit of a problem with OS upgrades as of...well, forever I guess. I was unable to find anything in the FAQ's or with a forum search (well, a 10 minute one anyway) and was curious if anyone knew why this problem was happening. Basically I have two programs, BeeJive and the Gmail application. Both of these programs lose all their saved data (usernames/passwords) for all accounts whenever the OS on my phone is upgraded. I use the normal(?) method of using the loader.exe after deleting the vendor.xml whenever I upgrade, so I assume I'm doing everything correctly to the best of my knowledge.

So basically what happens is every time that I perform an OS upgrade, I have to reconfigure both programs with all of my mobile messenger accounts and the two gmail accounts I use frequently (yeah, I know, too much) plus the settings for both programs which takes a few minutes to fully configure. Anyway, I was curious if there was a solution to these programs losing their settings on every OS update. Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 09-06-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Apps are deleted and must be reinstalled and it acts just like a first time install. The device is basically wiped clean. Think of it as a reformat and then the new OS is installed. Everything starts from square one. I don't think using the restore from backup will help either since apps must be reinstalled not restored. Could be wrong about that however.

Just one more reason to think twice before an OS upgrade.

I never recommend upgrading the OS unless there is functionality that you must have or the upgrade fixes a problem that you specifically have. If it isn't broken, there is no need to fix it.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!

Last edited by Dubdub; 09-06-2009 at 08:31 PM..
Old 09-07-2009, 05:19 AM   #3
dulcamara
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810
Carrier: ATT

My OTA upgrade with ATT did not erase anything. Part of the process was a screen or three saying "backing up ...".

All I lost was my personal scoreboard in PocketDay Sports, which was easy to rebuild.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:33 PM   #4
Cc2iscooL

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Apps are deleted and must be reinstalled and it acts just like a first time install. The device is basically wiped clean. Think of it as a reformat and then the new OS is installed. Everything starts from square one. I don't think using the restore from backup will help either since apps must be reinstalled not restored. Could be wrong about that however.

Just one more reason to think twice before an OS upgrade.

I never recommend upgrading the OS unless there is functionality that you must have or the upgrade fixes a problem that you specifically have. If it isn't broken, there is no need to fix it.
Darnit, that sucks.

I'm one of those strange people that likes to keep his computer/phone/programs/etc up to date all the time so I guess I'm just weird.

Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulcamara View Post
My OTA upgrade with ATT did not erase anything. Part of the process was a screen or three saying "backing up ...".

All I lost was my personal scoreboard in PocketDay Sports, which was easy to rebuild.
I don't lose the programs, just the program data, like accounts in BeeJive messenger and Gmail programs. It's just annoying to reset options when I update the phone, that's all. Now that I know there's no other way, I'll just keep updating and manually resetting everything.
Closed Thread