Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
Smith_RS
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default iPhone 3G messaging to Bold

Please Login to Remove!

My wife just upgraded from a Curve to an iPhone. We are both AT&T customers in the Los Angeles / So Cal area. When we were both BB users we could do SMS or BB PIN messaging, everything worked.

Now with the iPhone neither SMS nor MMS work. Does anyone have a successful example of a BB 9000 sending messages to an iPhone 3G via AT&T, without resorting to just sending it as an email?

I really want her to just get a Bold or a Storm so we can do PIN messaging again, but I also wanted to get to the bottom of this, since I can't possibly be the only person who's had this problem.

Thanks.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310

I don't know that I'd necessarily call that an "upgrade."

But you will not get MMS working on the iPhone until AT&T decides to roll it out after they determine how much extra they'll charge I'm guessing.

SMS should work fine though. You might call AT&T and verify they have SMS messaging on that line of service.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
mudwookie

PIN: N/A

my wife has an iphone (1st gen) and I have a bold, and sms works fine. No mms will work. we are on att also
Old 07-02-2009, 04:31 PM   #4
Smith_RS

Thanks, yes it was a poor choice of words.

But to be clear, are you saying that AT&T supports MMS on the Bold but not the iPhone?

It also appears that iPhone users get Visual Voice Mail, but Bold users who download the updated software that includes VVM can't get this turned on by calling AT&T. They either can't or won't provision the service for BB users.

Am I understanding this correctly?
Old 07-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #5
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: Tesco Mobile

the iphone 3G has not had MMS until recently when they released the new 3.0 OS/firmware.
But i dont know specifically about AT&T and their provisions.

Visual Voicemail has not been setup by AT&T yet for any blackberry device.
Whereas other carriers (who released the Os that has the files) do have this ability.
In this case, its AT&T who are "behind" with OS updates and visual voicemail.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 07-07-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
the iphone 3G has not had MMS until recently when they released the new 3.0 OS/firmware.
But i dont know specifically about AT&T and their provisions.
There is no way to send MMS messages from an iPhone, natively.... yet, and they cannot be received natively either, until AT&T enables this feature on their end.

It's my understanding that the two remaining features to be activated on AT&T's side, to support the new functionality on the iPhone, are tethering, and MMS. I suspect they will stick it to customers by charging more for both of these features when they are activated.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:32 AM   #7
SmoothOperator
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith_RS View Post
But to be clear, are you saying that AT&T supports MMS on the Bold but not the iPhone?
That is one of the stinks about the iPhone. For some unknown reason, MMS cannot be sent to and from an iPhone until the end of this summer. A Google search reveals that AT&T must "manually opt out" each iPhone account to accept MMS, or whatever bogus reason AT&T cited. The inability to send or receive MMS is not a fault of Apple, but instead AT&T because you can send MMS with any other device than iPhone. We are left to speculate why they are holding back on something everyone else has.

Just wait until the end of Summer. Everyone will be happy then.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #8
BigBlackAv

Model: 9800
Carrier: Evil Globe

MMS does not work on an unlocked iPhone on tmo either...it is not all ATT
Old 07-18-2009, 05:40 AM   #9
lee3383

Carrier: att

Call AT&T.

I just recieved my Bold and they forget to change some settings on their end and my text didn't work.

They needed to change it from my Tilt settings to Bold. If you get an idiot on the line they won't figure it out.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:54 AM   #10
ziggy3055

PIN: ALT-E-A-C-E
Carrier: Off Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
There is no way to send MMS messages from an iPhone, natively.... yet, and they cannot be received natively either, until AT&T enables this feature on their end.

It's my understanding that the two remaining features to be activated on AT&T's side, to support the new functionality on the iPhone, are tethering, and MMS. I suspect they will stick it to customers by charging more for both of these features when they are activated.
This is correct. The ability is there now that 3.0 came out but AT&T has yet to activate it, so right now it does not work. They say "end of summer" I guessing sept or oct. So the answer is no....at the moment.

Tethering is also there but not enabled by AT&T.
Closed Thread