Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
Skinflaps
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint
Default Long time BB user heavily considering the Pre

Please Login to Remove!

I'm currently using the 8900 and I've been with T-Mobile since the first Pearl launched. I've been extremely happy with T-Mobile's customer service, and for the most part, I've loved my Blackberries.

I was very intrigued by the Pre at the CES conference, but then the 8900 launched and I couldn't resist. For the most part I love the 8900, but compared to my previous Blackberries is has a horrible time keeping an EDGE connection for some reason, which is quite annoying. Also, I'm getting frustrated with T-Mobile's lack of 3G in my area and it doesn't look like we'll be getting it any time soon.

Now that the Pre has been released and I've had time to play with it, and read more hands-on reviews, I'm strongly considering it for a few reasons.

1) The WebOS platform is amazing. I like it better than any other smartphone I've seen out there (iPhone, G1, BB, etc.). As a matter of fact, the BB OS is really starting to feel outdated. I love the amount of 3rd party apps that are available for the BB now, but when all is said and done, it still feels like the "same old".

2) Sprint's $99mo Simply Everything plan blows every other carrier's plans out of the water. Even if I paid the early termination fee with T-Mobile, it would only take me about 8 mos to recoup my cost, and over the course of the remaining 16 mos of my contract I'd save $400! And I'd be getting more for my money! Seems like a no brainer.

3) 3G EVDO: download speeds on the Pre are awesome. Side-by-side comparisons have shown the Pre Browser to be faster than the iPhone's and it shows more content.

Don't get me wrong, the 8900 is a beautiful device and BB has been my friend for about 4 years now, but I think they're falling behind the curve. (no pun intended)
Old 06-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Moving to the BlackBerry Versus section.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
Frank Castle
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: PM Me!
Carrier: VZW
Default Not so fast ...

While the Pre looks nice and WebOS has some potential the Pre has it's drawbacks ..

1. the keyboard is just too cramped, the Treo was the same way.

2. At the moment the device has no Exchange ActiveSync support if you enforce any security (password, timeout etc). So this is an epic failure on Palm to not even validate this. Apparently there are plenty of people having issues with SSL certs too so not a big issue if your not looking to get your corporate email but for those that do - this device is not an option at the moment.

Palm stated they will address this in 60-90 days which seems like a long wait.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

I'm also holding out to ensure the device has keyboard shortcuts. No shortcuts, no dice.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:32 PM   #5
Skinflaps

I could see where someone with larger hands might have an issue with the Pre, but for me it's not an issue. Also, I'm not using a corporate exchange server, and the push with gmail is faster than on my BB.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
atuarre
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinflaps View Post
I could see where someone with larger hands might have an issue with the Pre, but for me it's not an issue. Also, I'm not using a corporate exchange server, and the push with gmail is faster than on my BB.
I will never understand why people come on here talking about how they want to switch to another device, as if they require some sort of pre-approval or validation for the switch.

Nothing we tell you will change your mind, and you really should make this decision yourself. It is kind of like how all those people rushed to get iPhones and came right back to the Blackberry.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:57 PM   #7
Skinflaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by atuarre View Post
I will never understand why people come on here talking about how they want to switch to another device, as if they require some sort of pre-approval or validation for the switch.

Nothing we tell you will change your mind, and you really should make this decision yourself. It is kind of like how all those people rushed to get iPhones and came right back to the Blackberry.
Just looking for some feedback from the blackberry "community".

I'll never understand why people waste their time replying to threads just to prove how big of an ass they are.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:11 AM   #8
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Now children. Calm down.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 06-17-2009, 07:08 AM   #9
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
Originally Posted by atuarre View Post

There are many people here who have used devices other than BlackBerry devices. Asking for an opinion about other devices is not a crime, and in fact that's why there is this sub-forum for 'BlackBerry Versus'.

If you don't like that people are asking about other devices, feel free not to read anything in this sub-forum - nor respond.