Old 08-10-2007, 09:53 AM   #1
kellysheroes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Smile Anyone else's girlfriend hate your Pearl... Post here

Please Login to Remove!

She can't stand that I can go online while we have a free minute; That I can IM my buddy's from anywhere now, and worst of all... I get a beep whenever I recieve an email from my multiple accounts. I can't leave it around her alone or I fear something horrible would happen.

Anyone else have this problem.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:56 AM   #2
JoshInAtlanta

Model: 8100
Carrier: T Mobile

Yes. We had an argument about this last week... don't get me started. Haha.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
PhillyGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMO

My marital unit gets a little annoyed when I start responding to emails when we are out to dinner.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:07 AM   #4
lefty
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Tmobile

My gf has had a Sidekick 3 for the past few months, I can't come close to her 'net usage :lol:

(its for sale by the way!) /Shameless plug
Old 08-10-2007, 10:10 AM   #5
k4tj3
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: 308D8374
Carrier: US Cellular

He doesn't hate my Blackberry, I hate his Treo. Any idea how annoying it is for us to be out and about and he stops for a minute to SSH into the network at work to fix something? UGh!
Old 08-10-2007, 10:57 AM   #6
cypherpunks
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I've been put on notice by my gf about my blackberry usage!
Old 08-10-2007, 11:06 AM   #7
TheGreggers
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
PIN: 24708EAC
Carrier: T-Mobile

I don't just have one girlfriend... I have MANY.
I also carry around TWO BlackBerry Pearls... one more oriented to business, and the other personal (e.g. connected to all the females.).

BOTH go off like crazy. Usually the way I play it now, is with new girls who haven't adjusted to my BB usage, I turn off the wireless so the don't get the urge to look at the message/email/call that just came in.

God bless RIM. They save my butt nightly.

But.. there again.. you can't save them all, and I've been broken up with and told off more times than I can count on two hands and feet. Haha.

So that's my feelings on that.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:10 AM   #8
nschmidt

Model: 9100
Carrier: AT&T
Lightbulb

I had this problem. Then I got her one... No complaints since.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:14 AM   #9
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

My girlfriend complains about this as well. I justify it because she is into text messaging like crazy. I mention that and she shuts up rather fast. Sometimes you must fight fire with fire
Old 08-10-2007, 11:24 AM   #10
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Delete the girlfriend.xml file, and upon reboot there should not be a problem.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:25 AM   #11
jsconyers

where can I find this girlfriend.xml file. If I had this information it would have been deleted a long time ago :-p
Old 08-10-2007, 11:27 AM   #12
kellysheroes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyGuy View Post
My marital unit gets a little annoyed when I start responding to emails when we are out to dinner.
Wow.. big no-no here...
You see... she lives in the stone-age... I've offered to upgrade her phone to something nicer... but she declines... It not a big deal; I joke around about her not making me choose between her and the phone; and I laugh when it tells me I have email... she hates that.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:30 AM   #13
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK

My Lady Loves the BB so much in fact I am setting one up for her next week so she will stay off of mine!!!
Old 08-10-2007, 11:51 AM   #14
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: HEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreggers View Post
I don't just have one girlfriend... I have MANY.
I also carry around TWO BlackBerry Pearls... one more oriented to business, and the other personal (e.g. connected to all the females.).

BOTH go off like crazy. Usually the way I play it now, is with new girls who haven't adjusted to my BB usage, I turn off the wireless so the don't get the urge to look at the message/email/call that just came in.

God bless RIM. They save my butt nightly.

But.. there again.. you can't save them all, and I've been broken up with and told off more times than I can count on two hands and feet. Haha.

So that's my feelings on that.
I AM HAVING A DR. PHIL MOMENT...... read on:

I've never had anyone complain about my Pearl. In fact, all my girlfriends love my Pearl, but not for reasons one might expect.

They like it because when I leave it unattended they can't wait to pounce on it like a cat on a mouse. They use the opportunity to snoop on it and see what calls I am making or getting, same with the e-mails.

In Cosmo I read an article on tech and the friggin article was telling women how to work certain devices so to get the goods on me. It was some article titled "How To Tell If He Is Cheating On You" or something like that.

My understanding is that women are naturally curious for what kind of information the Pearl holds. But I think it kind of devious and cunning to pretend not to care about my Pearl with the intent to check it out later. Sadly, over the years I have seen [but did not bust them] about three or four girl's looking at my phone while I was, for example, in the shower. But the phone had been "wiped" so it did not matter to me.

So out of habit I am always clearing out my Pearl's e-mails, clearing the call log and putting my phone on vibrate when around any girl [the slick ones act like they don't hear or could care less what's coming in on the Pearl].

Other times I do not let the Pearl out of my sight and at night I have to lock it.

Sidenote: out of respect and courtesy, when on a date I never look at the Pearl to check e-mails or take calls. Nothing says "You're boring and I'm rude" more than to check these things while with someone. I have noticed the women too have done the same thing, turned off their phones when with me. Courtesy is not dead in the 21st century.

Bonus Tip: You can earn extra points while on a date and the Pearl can be heard vibrating. When she asks "Is that your phone [e-mail or a call]?" Simply respond "Yes" but don't break your stride in whatever you are doing. Send the signal to her that she is more important than any e-mail or call.

In a couples situation, if he or she is angry about your Pearl usage, do the above technique a few times and he or she will notice the gesture and/or calm down. Let him or her notice you did not pick up the call or look at the e-mail. Don't say something like "Did you notice I did not look at my e-mail when it came in." If you say this he or she will look at this as a merely a scheme to make yourself look better. And while it is, no need to telegraph the motive.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 08-10-2007 at 05:16 PM..
Old 08-10-2007, 11:53 AM   #15
debbieg

My husband HATES my Pearl, but a gentle reminder that HE bought it for ME usually shuts him up...
Old 08-10-2007, 11:57 AM   #16
jsconyers

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco View Post
I AM HAVING A DR. PHIL MOMENT...... read on:

I've never had anyone complain about my Pearl. In fact, all my girlfriends love my Pearl, but not for reasons one might expect.

They like it because when I leave it unattended they can't wait to pounce on it like a cat on a mouse. They use the opportunity to snoop on it and see what calls I am making or getting, same with the e-mails.

In Cosmo I read an article on tech and the friggin article was telling women how to work certain devices so to get the goods on me. It was some article titled "How To Tell If He Is Cheating On You" or something like that.

My understanding is that women are naturally curious what kind of information the Pearl holds. But I think it kind of devious and cunning to pretend not to care about my Pearl with the intent to check it out later. Sadly, over the years I have seen [but did not bust them] about three or four girl's looking at my phone while I was, for example, in the shower. But the phone had been "wiped" so it did not matter to me.

So out of habit I am always clearing out my Pearl's e-mails, clearing the call log and putting my phone on vibrate when around any girl [the slick ones act like they don't hear or could care less what's coming in on the Pearl].

Other times I do not let the Pearl out of my sight and at night I have to lock it.

Sidenote: out of respect and courtesy, when at night on a date I never look at the Pearl to check e-mails or take calls. Nothing says "You're boring" than to check these things while with someone. Rude, rude, rude. I have noticed the the women too have done the same thing, turned off their phones when with me. Courtesy is not dead in the 21st century.

Bonus Tip: You can earn extra points while on a date and the Pearl can be heard vibrating. When she asks "Is that your phone [e-mail or a call]?" Simply respond "Yes" but don't break your stride in whatever you are doing. Send the signal to her that she is more important than any e-mail or call.

In couples situations, if he or she is angry about your Pearl usage, do this technique a few times and he or she will notice the gesture and/or calm down. Let him or her notice you did not pick up the call or look at the e-mail. Don't say something like "Did you notice I did not look at my e-mail when it came in." If you say this he or she will look at this as a merely a scheme to make yourself look better. And while it is, no need to telegraph that.

Although I don't care for the 49ers I am going to have to agree with San Fansisco on this one! Even though we are addicted to our devices we need to put them on the back burner when out on a date. Also, I have had my experiences with "snooping" on tech devices. Women are becoming so devious.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:08 PM   #17
Lera1113

Default snooping

Its unfair to say that women are the only snoopers. My boyfriend can't wait till I leave the room to rummage through my call log/texts/emails. I've caught him numerous times. But it's like I always tell him...."he who has nothing to hide, hides nothing". I don't care if he looks through it since i'm not doing anything I shouldn't be. However I have told him numerous times that the fact that he distrusts me so much that he needs to snoop for my phone is a cause for concern. I told him he needs to sort out his trust issues or find a new girlfriend.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:11 PM   #18
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

I love the attitude, Lera. It really is his issue.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:12 PM   #19
jsconyers

Very good point Lera. It was very sexist of me to assume that the female race are "snoopers". There are alot of guys that have trust issues as well, like you've mentioned. I apologize. You should test him, password protect your device and then see how good of a snooper he is to find out the password. Then again, if he did figure it out, I would be a little concerned if I were you!
Old 08-10-2007, 01:22 PM   #20
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

This always makes me laugh! I do the same thing, but I also balance it out too. Gotta show the ladies some lovin', right??
Closed Thread