Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 12:40 PM   #1
JimmySwinger
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100T
Default Desktop Manager crash while synchronizing calendar

Please Login to Remove!

FYI - I came across this today, thought I would share the issue;

User synchs with USB, no wireless. Blackberry desktop manager 4.2sp1 Outlook 2k3:

1) User called stating that their synchronization suddenly started crashing.
2) I checked, it was crashing when synching the calendar, while processing outlook record #420.
3) Went to synchronization options in Desktop Manager, disabled the auto synch
4) Connected the berry
5) Went to "Configure Synch" and disabled the calendar synch
6) re-synchronized the phone sans calendar, which completed successfully
7) re-enabled calendar synch, voila - it worked after that.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:08 AM   #2
jblount

Model: 7100t
Default desktop manager crashes repeatedly on calendar sync via USB

Many of our users (with several different Blackberry models) are also experiencing repeated crashes since the upgrade to Desktop Manager 4.2sp1, which we installed as part of the US Daylight Saving change. Once the software crashes, the sync will not work again for that user (typically hanging on the same Outlook calendar entry) until something drastic is done. We've gone as far as uninstalling Desktop Manager, removing related folders and Registry entries, then reinstalling. No matter the method of correction, the problem resurfaces again soon. I'm hoping for a better answer, but for now, I've advised my users of the following steps that they can take:

Connect the Blackberry and open Desktop Manager (your shortcut could be named something else.)
As soon as you have the option, click Cancel to stop the automatic synchronization.
Double-click the "Backup and Restore" icon in Desktop Manager.
Click the "Advanced" button.
On the right side, under "Device Databases", select Calendar,
then click the "Clear" button.
Click OK to confirm deletion of the entire calendar on the Blackberry (no effect in Outlook.)
Click "Close" twice.
Double-click the "Synchronize" icon in Desktop Manager, then click the "Synchronize now" button.
Click "Close" and exit the Desktop Manager.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:03 AM   #3
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T
Talking Thank you!!!

Thanks to the author of this post! I was experiencing this issue and felt it was hopeless! This worked perfectly!

Again, Thank you!

Best Regards,

E-
Old 04-03-2007, 12:16 PM   #4
firstrebel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Vodafone UK

4.2.1 is unstable. I have gone back to 4.2 - problems gone.

Bob
Old 04-04-2007, 08:49 AM   #5
EdifyYo

Model: 8100

I am experiencing the same problem as the original poster (4.2sp1 and Outlook 2007), and his solution only SOMETIMES seems to correct the issue FOR ONE SYNC, then the problem returns.

Specifically, my calendar sync is dying on some particular calendar entry. I've done all of the standard debugging and logging. I've gone so far as to copy all of my appointments out and then back into my calendar. I've opened all calendar items, clicked the Recurrence button, and saved each and every calendar item. I've even viewed the calendar in Detail view and added all of the data fields to the view and corrected all of the minor little inconsistencies in them. Oh, AND I'VE DONE ALL OF THIS THREE SEPERATE TIMES! This method also seems to have the end result of letting my BB sync a few times, but then something breaks and I either have to recreate the calendar items again OR do as the original poster suggested. This is really silly.

Last edited by EdifyYo; 04-04-2007 at 09:17 AM..
Old 04-04-2007, 09:18 AM   #6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
PIN: S AND NEEDLES
Carrier: VZW

I had this problem a while back (different OS) on my 7130e and it turned out there was a corrupt attachment in a few of the calendar entries. It only occured for those appts with an attachment. Not sure what the deal was, but went back and deleted the attachments and then re-synched and it worked perfectly. don't know if that helps, but thought I would throw it out there.

r2
Old 10-05-2007, 11:13 AM   #7
ranazarian

Model: 7135
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cingular
Default Same problem

I have tried all of the above and the only thing that works in clearing my blackberry via backup/restore. After a while, the problem comes back again. This is quite frustrating.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:02 PM   #8
watsocd

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT

Pay attention to where the program crashes. My Windows crash box appeared while it was trying to sync Tasks.

So I followed the instructions except I deleted the tasks database.

It worked!

Chuck Watson
EnergyChaser • Cost Allocation & Energy Reporting System • Welcome to EnergyChaser.com!
Old 10-13-2007, 03:12 PM   #9
webstar25

Model: 7290
Carrier: Rogers

My boss at work had the issue with the crashing.

It seems that Calander Entries with an attachment was the cause. Once we removed all these she was able to sync fine.

you just need to remove the attachment itself not the entire entry.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:17 PM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Welcome to the forums!
Old 11-08-2007, 07:53 AM   #11
kjbagg

Model: Pearl
Default Thanks

I had the same issue at Record # 170 but your solution did not seem to correct the issue. Did you reboot or disconnect etc between steps that I might have missed?
Old 01-22-2008, 09:10 PM   #12
mrichards

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel
Default Desktop Manager crash on V4.1

I had the same issue all of a sudden with my 7520, but followed directions above and it seems to be OK now. Upon synch attempt it would gag on a calender entry. I cleared the calender and tries w/o success. Had to synch w/o calender box checked and ran OK, then included Calender the next synch and it worked. I see people using V4.2. Is is worth upgrading? I think there is a limit with what my old BB can handle.
Mark
Old 01-30-2008, 09:19 AM   #13
Brownwall

Model: Pearl
Default Thanks!

Wow, what a great forum thread. I performed the tasks as outlined above and it worked!! The important thing to note is the timing of the sync crash. Mine was crashing during the calendar sync. I cleared the database as instructed and now it syncs fine. Thanks again.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:26 PM   #14
ranazarian

Model: 7135
Carrier: cingular
Default Crash on Calendar Synch

Same problem as others. Uninstall and reinstall does not fix it for me. Clearing the calendar in the bberry does - for a synch or two. Does anyone have an update on this issue?
Old 02-11-2008, 10:42 AM   #15
kramerica

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Do notes in calendar appt count as an attachment? I was syncing fine (with notes in the appt's until yesterday and know have the same issue as above. I am using Vista, with DM 4.3 with Outlook 07 and like I said had no issues until yesterday. Tried the 1st 2 posts for a solution to no avail. I also tried to unistall/reinstall with no luck.

Is there any other way, than the 1st 2 posts above, to clear my calendar on the BB(8830 Verizon)?
Old 02-11-2008, 10:47 AM   #16
kramerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramerica View Post
Do notes in calendar appt count as an attachment? I was syncing fine (with notes in the appt's until yesterday and know have the same issue as above. I am using Vista, with DM 4.3 with Outlook 07 and like I said had no issues until yesterday. Tried the 1st 2 posts for a solution to no avail. I also tried to unistall/reinstall with no luck.

Is there any other way, than the 1st 2 posts above, to clear my calendar on the BB(8830 Verizon)?
Nevermind about the clearing. Found it in another thread.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:59 AM   #17
kramerica

NOW I have completed trying the 1st 2 posts to get my calendar to sync. However, know I can't even get the DM to sync with the calendar AT ALL. Before it would identify the records, then try to sync them, then it would crash the DM. Now it crashes before it gets to that point.

I can sync tasks, contacts, memo pad through the configuration change (not syncing Calendar), but now I have completely cleared my BB calendar and have nothing on it.

Definately looking for some help now. PLEASE!
Old 02-19-2008, 12:43 AM   #18
riveracr

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

I started experiencing a similar issue today, on my BlackBerry Pearl, synching it to Outlook 2003, via Desktop Manager 4.2.2.14. Ixxx8217;ve had this BB Pearl since January of this year and just observed the problem yesterday. Before this I had another Pearl, on this same laptop, synching with the same version of Desktop Manager. I had that BB Pearl for over a year with no issues.

Like most of the users, my Desktop Manager was hanging up once it reached a particular Outlook Calendar record. (On mine it was record 780 out of 831.) I assumed Outlook was the culprit so I went to Microsoft.com and read up on their Inbox Repair Tool program. How to use the Inbox Repair Tools to recover e-mail messages in Outlook 2002, Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007

I downloaded scanpst.exe and used it to scan my Outlook.pst file. It found and repaired errors in the file. (No specifics were given regarding what the errors were, though.) I then followed user JBLOUNTxxx8217;s step-by-step instructions to clear the Outlook calendar from the BlackBerry. I was able to synch successfully after that with the Desktop Manager rebuilding the calendar on the BlackBerry with no issues.

So, possibly itxxx8217;s a corrupt Outlook.PST file thatxxx8217;s causing issues and we have to take a two-step approach to resolve. It might be too early to tell, but so far I have not encountered the issue again.

My thanks to JBLOUNT for the detailed instructions on how to clear the Calendar file from the BB without causing any loss of data in Outlook.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:24 PM   #19
msu-dawg

Model: 8830

My wife has an 8130 (I think that's right) and syncs at home and at work (but only calendar at work). She just started having the sync crash at work.

So far I tried BD sofware repair (problem still there) and remove/reinstall (problem still there). The calendar sync makes it all the way through the count of number of records but then crashes after that. As it is the only thing syncing I can't try the "uncheck calendar, sync everything else, then recheck calendar" option- I just get a message saying there is nothing configured to be synchronized when I tried it.

Also, as far as using the mentioned microsoft Inbox Repair Tools, don't know how to do with email located on Exchange Server. All info I've read talks about repairing .PST files but her calendar isn't in a local folder (.pst), it's out on the Exchange Server.

Haven't yet tried the "clear database" on BB option- may have to wait until she syncs at home first to make sure everything she has put into BB doesn't get wiped.

I will also try removing attachments from calendar entries to see if this helps. I personally despise this feature of Outlook. Attachments should not be tagged onto a meeting notice.

Any other suggestions in case these last two options don't work??
Old 04-28-2008, 09:03 AM   #20
tijanarm

Model: 8830
Carrier: Telus Canada
Default Thanks!

Many, MANY thanks to jblount, I was desperate b/c my BB was crashing during the sync process with Calendar/Outlook and your instructions worked like a charm!!!!!! Thanks again!
Closed Thread