BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 02:36 PM   #1
johnh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Editing text on forwards and replies?

Please Login to Remove!

Is it possible? It's driving me crazy that I can't seem to do it. Ok on a reply I have the option of deleting all original text which is useful at times. Other times I want to only delete portions of the original text.

My biggest problem is text on forwards. My wife does internal travel for a large corporation and every now and then she uses my blackberry to book reservations and forward itineraries to employees. She'll banter back and forth with the ticket agency and they finally issue a ticket. She then has to forward the issued itinerary to the traveler but she doesn't want all of the previous dialogue. How can you delete all of the text and just forward the attachment with your own message? Something like "Intinerary attached. Thank you."

Can this be done?
Old 08-20-2004, 05:38 PM   #2
kirson
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

I don't think so. My solution has been to copy the text you want to "forward" and past it into a new message. Not elegant, but it seems to work

Ian
Old 08-20-2004, 05:44 PM   #3
Tom
Admin & Founder

Model: 9800
PIN: UnDisclosed
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirson
I don't think so. My solution has been to copy the text you want to "forward" and past it into a new message. Not elegant, but it seems to work

Ian
Yea, thats the only way around it, but its a security thing, since when your getting something forwarded wouldnt you want to original instead of something that was editing by the middle party?
Old 08-22-2004, 02:15 PM   #4
johnh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess
Quote:

Ian
Yea, thats the only way around it, but its a security thing, since when your getting something forwarded wouldnt you want to original instead of something that was editing by the middle party?
Most of the time but not in the case I mentioned above. Can you copy attachments over and forward them? That'd solve my problem.
Old 08-22-2004, 02:24 PM   #5
Tom
Admin & Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh
Quote:
Quote:

Ian
Most of the time but not in the case I mentioned above. Can you copy attachments over and forward them? That'd solve my problem.
In 4.0... yes
Old 08-22-2004, 03:44 PM   #6
johnh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ian
In 4.0... yes
oooooh can you change it to 20 posts pleeeeeeeeeeeeease?

or PM me how to get 4.0 :D
Old 08-22-2004, 10:30 PM   #7
Tom
Admin & Founder

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ian
In 4.0... yes

haha, sorry, rules are rules
Old 08-22-2004, 11:14 PM   #8
johnh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ian
In 4.0... yes

haha, sorry, rules are rules
ah alright. gimme a week
Old 08-22-2004, 11:17 PM   #9
Tom
Admin & Founder

Quote:

ah alright. gimme a week
Your week has commenced!

As someone has already said
"The longer you wait, the less data destructive bugs you will have to worry about in the beta"
Old 08-23-2004, 09:21 AM   #10
johnh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Quote:

ah alright. gimme a week
Your week has commenced!

"The longer you wait, the less data destructive bugs you will have to worry about in the beta"
true, but the less I wait, the happier my wife is because she can forward attachments for work
Old 08-23-2004, 11:12 AM   #11
Tom
Admin & Founder

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

ah alright. gimme a week
Your week has commenced!

true, but the less I wait, the happier my wife is because she can forward attachments for work
True enough.. 28 more posts..
Old 08-23-2004, 11:58 AM   #12
johnh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Make it 27
Old 08-23-2004, 01:24 PM   #13
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold

Hi,

Another reason why you cannot edit attachments and forward is because they are stored on the server.

So if you type a 100-character reply to a 10 kilobyte message, and include the 10 kilobyte message in the quote, your Blackberry transmits only the message and does not transmit a copy of the original message. The original message is still stored on the server. Saves bandwidth. Sends emails and attachments faster.

That's why you cannot edit original text.

A workaround is to select an email message, select "Edit", then save the message, then forward the message. That creates the necessary copy on the Blackberry that you are able to edit.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 08-23-2004, 01:26 PM   #14
Tom
Admin & Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
Hi,

Another reason why you cannot edit attachments and forward is because they are stored on the server.

So if you type a 100-character reply to a 10 kilobyte message, and include the 10 kilobyte message in the quote, your Blackberry transmits only the message and does not transmit a copy of the original message. The original message is still stored on the server. Saves bandwidth. Sends emails and attachments faster.

That's why you cannot edit original text.

A workaround is to select an email message, select "Edit", then save the message, then forward the message. That creates the necessary copy on the Blackberry that you are able to edit.
Figures, Mark always provides us with a logical response! Thanks Mark! :D
Old 08-23-2004, 01:41 PM   #15
johnh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
Will saving the message save the attachment in addition to the text? Your explanation makes sense. In fact, I think I had hear that before. . .
Old 08-24-2004, 02:34 AM   #16
Skive
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

If you choose to fwd an email with an attachment then the attachment will be forwarded in current versions of blackberry software, it will not happen if you choose reply or a new message, its the same behaviour as outlook.
Closed Thread