BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 08:06 AM   #1
lwebb1125

Model: 7520
Default Convert an IPD Backup File?

Please Login to Remove!

Greetings; recently joined this list.
We'd like to read an IPD file and migrate contacts to a proprietary s/w program for lawyers. [Reason: His Blackberry contacts are more comprehensive than his Outlook contacts.]

We can definitely manage a CSV format, but even simple text would do.
Any suggestions on how to output/convert the IPD file to another format?

Much Thanks.
--Linda Webb
Old 04-12-2006, 05:29 PM   #2
toddz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

I take it that you can not simply synchronize between the BlackBerry and Outlook which would be the easiest and best way to go. But instead you just have a backup file and not the physical device.

If you don't have the physical device, you will have to write some software to interpret the ipd format as it is a combined binary/text format. There is information from RIM about the format just do a google for blackberry and ipd format.

toddz
Old 04-12-2006, 10:56 PM   #3
lwebb1125

Model: 7520
Default Re: IPD Backup to ASCII Instead

Todd,
Thanks for your reply. Somewhere back when, I did sync to or from Outlook with my own, but we wanted to bypass the whole .PST fun & games this time.

Ends up after I posted, I found the Export Option, brought the contacts out to comma-delimited text, where our developer picked it up and was able to convert it into FoxPro. Also did the calendar data, in a separate pass.
--Linda
Old 04-20-2006, 07:48 AM   #4
pjkent

Model: 8700
Default IPD Export

Are there any tools for exporting data out of the IPD backup file?

I want to do this to export text from SMS messages into text files so that they can be archived off the Blackberry to free up space.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:51 PM   #5
toddz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700

I am not aware of any programs that convert an IPD file at this time. I would think that since the specifications were published this may become a reality sometime in the future especially for archiveing messages or emails.

toddz
Old 05-12-2006, 03:21 PM   #6
BassKozz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
Carrier: VZW

I am having similar issues...

I just switched job's and there for had to switch BES accounts, and I backed-up my old e-mails/addressbook/etc... using Desktop Manager...

Now I setup a new account, and I have new e-mails/addressbook/etc... but I want to merge in my old information (old account) into the new info(new acccount), but Desktop Manager won't let me, it will only will let me overwrite the files instead of merge (using the restore function).

I need to get this old information out of the backup.ipd file so I can merge it into my new account somehow, I figured if I could convert this file to *.CSV or similar, I could simply merge this into outlook and be allset.

It's too bad Desktop Manager doesn't allow for merging of a backup via the restore function (only overwrite)... :(

Any Idea's?
TIA,
-BassKozz

Last edited by BassKozz; 05-12-2006 at 03:25 PM..
Old 05-12-2006, 03:31 PM   #7
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

What about just synching it to the excisting one. I mean first I would do a backup of the new one also so that i have a backup of both. Then I would synch with outlook to copy all the handheld onto the outlook, then I would restore the old backup to the handheld overwriting the new stuff and resynch again so that it merges with what is in outlook already. If all fails you do have the backup of the new so you at least can get that back.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 05-15-2006, 11:28 AM   #8
BassKozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
What about just synching it to the excisting one. I mean first I would do a backup of the new one also so that i have a backup of both. Then I would synch with outlook to copy all the handheld onto the outlook, then I would restore the old backup to the handheld overwriting the new stuff and resynch again so that it merges with what is in outlook already. If all fails you do have the backup of the new so you at least can get that back.
My Outlook is setup via BES Exchange server, so all the files are already on Outlook, but If I restore the OLD backup, won't it overwrite all the new data (because it's wirelessly sync'ed) ?
Old 05-16-2006, 01:09 PM   #9
BassKozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassKozz
I am having similar issues...
I just switched job's and there for had to switch BES accounts, and I backed-up my old e-mails/addressbook/etc... using Desktop Manager...
Now I setup a new account, and I have new e-mails/addressbook/etc... but I want to merge in my old information (old account) into the new info(new acccount), but Desktop Manager won't let me, it will only will let me overwrite the files instead of merge (using the restore function).
I need to get this old information out of the backup.ipd file so I can merge it into my new account somehow, I figured if I could convert this file to *.CSV or similar, I could simply merge this into outlook and be allset.
It's too bad Desktop Manager doesn't allow for merging of a backup via the restore function (only overwrite)... :(
Any Idea's?
TIA,
-BassKozz
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassKozz
My Outlook is setup via BES Exchange server, so all the files are already on Outlook, but If I restore the OLD backup, won't it overwrite all the new data (because it's wirelessly sync'ed) ?
:BUMP:
Anyone ?
How can I get this data off the backed-up IPD file and onto my exchange account?
Is there no way to convert *.ipd to *.csv or similar?
Old 05-16-2006, 01:41 PM   #10
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

You can't convert the IPD backup files. However, it may work if you wipe the device then restore the old data then reactivate on the BES. Just a possibility. I'd still recommend exporting the information (address book/contacts, etc) you have on the server, just in case - however, it should not remove them from the server.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:50 PM   #11
stonent
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF

Edit the PIM options on the desktop manager to point to ascii text files and resynch.

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:59 PM   #12
BassKozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
You can't convert the IPD backup files. However, it may work if you wipe the device then restore the old data then reactivate on the BES. Just a possibility. I'd still recommend exporting the information (address book/contacts, etc) you have on the server, just in case - however, it should not remove them from the server.
DUH, I should have thought of this...
Thanks jibi
You da man

Just so i am clear on this... all I have to do is:
1. Backup current files (NEW data) Just in case.
2. Wipe BlackBerry (I can simply enter the wrong password 10 times to wipe right?)
3. Restore old backup (OLD data already have on the *.ipd file)
4. Reactivate Enterprise Activation (BES server connection)

Correct ?
Old 05-16-2006, 04:55 PM   #13
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

1 - Backup current data from handheld
2 - Backup current data from mail program (usually you can just do a simple File > Export)
3 - Wipe handheld (Options > Security Options > General Settings > click trackwheel > Wipe handheld; or 10 incorrect password attempts, although that is rather annoying)
4 - Restore old backup to handheld
5 - Enterprise activation on handheld should sync the handheld's current data to your mail profile
Old 05-16-2006, 07:05 PM   #14
BassKozz

Thanks again JiBi :D
Old 08-10-2006, 04:15 PM   #15
tonyx

Model: 7105t

I found a program called textifire for 10 bucks that converts contacts, schedules and other stuff from an ipd to csv. Its pretty bare-bones, but it does the trick.

It also has some kind of report writer that I could never quite figure out, but I didn't really need anything fancier than a csv.

Hope it helps

-tonz
Old 01-25-2007, 09:14 AM   #16
leplus

Model: 8700c
Carrier: cingular
Thumbs up there is a way to bring back the IPD file

this is what I did
1) I backup my boss contact before going to a BES (from Cingular)

2) went on the BB (8700C) and went into the address book did go to options and selected Wireless SYNC set it to "NO"

3)then I plugged it to her desktop, did a restore from that file ( it was only the address booK)

4)Ran the restore, all the contact were on were on her blackberry, I went and turned the wireless SYNC back on and all were added to Outlook.

you can go different ways, I actually did that on my own BB, then cut and paste my personal address book to a different sub contact list all came into the primary then I sent a email to my boss like this she can drag and drop from my E-mail to Outlook contacts. but the explanation above work as well
Old 08-16-2007, 10:32 AM   #17
dsemblano

Model: 8700g
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leplus View Post
this is what I did
1) I backup my boss contact before going to a BES (from Cingular)

2) went on the BB (8700C) and went into the address book did go to options and selected Wireless SYNC set it to "NO"

3)then I plugged it to her desktop, did a restore from that file ( it was only the address booK)

4)Ran the restore, all the contact were on were on her blackberry, I went and turned the wireless SYNC back on and all were added to Outlook.

you can go different ways, I actually did that on my own BB, then cut and paste my personal address book to a different sub contact list all came into the primary then I sent a email to my boss like this she can drag and drop from my E-mail to Outlook contacts. but the explanation above work as well
Hello, I'm new on this forum and its been very helpful to me.

I have a question about this procedure: Does this restore emails to desktop too? (like the contacts been restored)

Thanks in advance

Last edited by dsemblano; 08-16-2007 at 10:34 AM..
Old 08-30-2007, 11:21 AM   #18
BBwoman

Model: 7290
Default Conversion software?

I have an old 7290. I foolishly downloaded the updated software off the T-Mobile website. Although it backed-up my email & contacts through the download process, 1 day later my contacts disappeared off the BB. I tried to restore them from the saved back-up, and it wouldn't accept it. I found postings to suggest that this is a common problem with no fix. I can't find the old version of the software to download. Now I want to get the data from the back-up and convert it to Outlook. I found something online that looks like it would work called ABC Amber BlackBerry Converter (description below). Has anyone tried this software?

ABC Amber BlackBerry Converter
Convert messages, contacts, calendar events, memos and tasks from IPD to MS Outlook directly.

ABC Amber BlackBerry Converter is a very useful tool that converts emails, contacts, SMS messages, autotext entries, calendar events, memos, phone call logs and tasks from IPD (BlackBerry backup) files to any format you wish (PDF, HTML, CHM, RTF, HLP, TXT, DOC, MDB, XLS, CSV, etc.) easily and quickly.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:52 PM   #19
eugenedw

Model: Curve
Default You can do it...

There are a few programs out there that do this.

Try

Amber Blackberry Converter (ABC Converter)

Get it at:

Free download ABC Amber PDF Convertor, convert PDF documents to HTML, CHM, RTF, HLP, DOC, TXT
Old 10-13-2008, 08:29 AM   #20
tekstylez

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

ABC Amber BlackBerry Converter, Convert BlackBerry IPD files to any document format.

EDIT: too lazy to read last post, sorry... :(

Last edited by tekstylez; 10-13-2008 at 08:30 AM..
Closed Thread