Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 01:57 AM   #1
Kilminster

Model: 7100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-online
Default recognizing mailto

Please Login to Remove!

Hi there. I' just registered here because we are running an application for a bank and are now supposed to deliver certain results to users with blackberry devices.
Problem is: We are trying to offer an Email based way to retrieve press articles from a server in the bank intranet. Inside an Email the blackberry we have for testing does recognize something like

mailto:ernst.fritsch@sds-bs.de and opens the dialogue for a new mail.

It does NOT however recognize something like

mailto:ernst.fritsch@sds-bs.de?subject=_GetDok&body=jsdhfsodfhÖSOGDH

The body will simply contain a key to identify documents on the internal server.

Now I found two threads in here with problems recognizing mailto but both were closed without an answer. Hopefully there is someone around who knows.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:40 AM   #2
simon.hain
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: o2

you could implement your own string detection. look out for an '@' and analyze the string around it.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:42 AM   #3
Kilminster

I think there is a mistake. I do NOT want to reprogram the Blackberry Mail client. I know perfectly well how the mailto-link is composed since I am the one composing it. What I would like to know is how I get the Blackberry mail client to recognize it as a mailto as well.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:54 PM   #4
anand.bhat

Model: NA
Carrier: NA

I do not remember the model of the BlackBerry that I'd tried this on last year, but 'complex' mailto links like the one you posted DID show up as links.

I had a ensure a couple of things: no encoding of the @ symbol (somebody%40somewhere.com will NOT render as a link even though other mail clients recognize and convert %40 to a @) while text in the subject and body had to be encoded. In your case, I'd think the problem might be with the Ö symbol.

Try typing mailto:ernst.fritsch@sds-bs.de?subject=_GetDok into your BlackBerry to see if it "linkifies" it. If yes, then try replacing the Ö symbol with its UTF encoded value %C3%96 in the body text and type in mailto:ernst.fritsch@sds-bs.de?subject=_GetDok&body=jsdhfsodfh%C3%96SOGDH. If this works too, try building similar encoded strings for the body before creating the link. My Java program used java.net.URLEncoder's encode method with UTF8.

Hope you get lucky with this, it can be quite a pain. I hope the HTML email rendering functionality promised in the new release has better mailto recognition.

FYI, a section of my mailto link looks something like this:

mailto:yz@abc.efg?subject=Approval%20needed&body=% 5B%3ABEnter%20your%20comments... with an identifying key similar to yours.

Last edited by anand.bhat; 04-21-2008 at 04:55 PM..
Old 04-22-2008, 01:19 AM   #5
Kilminster

Well I have to see. The "Ö" was in my post because I simply hit any key my fingers could reach to get a couple of letters. The actual ID we're sending is in the 0 to 128 Range of the ASCII set to avoid exactly that kind of problem. But I guess I'll be trying it step by step to see where the problems start.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:17 AM   #6
Kilminster

OK, I have tried everything.
I tried
mailto:ernst.fritsch@sds-bs.de?subject=testsubject&body=this%20is%20a%20tes tbody
as well as
mailto:ernst.fritsch@sds-bs.de?subject=testsubject&body=this%20is%20a%2 0testbody

in the mail, (and the unmasked blanks here come from the forum software. They were not in my original mail nor in the text I typed here)

I attatched a tiny html-file test.htm looking like this:

<html>
<body>
<a href="mailto:ernst.fritsch@sds-bs.de?subject=testsubject&body=das%20ist%20ein%20t estbody"> Testmail </a>
</body>
</html>

The result was always the same. The blackberry recognizes the e-mail adress but it simply refuses to recognize anything else. I always get a new e-mail adressed at [email address] but neither subject nor body show any sign of what I had in the link.

Is the blackberry actually that limited??? or is there a secret way to make it act normally?

Last edited by Kilminster; 05-07-2008 at 02:19 AM..
Closed Thread