Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 11:59 AM   #1
parenthetical guy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: :reirraC
Default Cheat Sheet to share

Please Login to Remove!

As a previous 10-year Palm OS/Treo user, I'm still learning the keyboard shortcuts on my BB 8700g. ("M" for Message is weird to me, I think E-Mail, not Message. "D" for Memopad is not intuitive. And "F" for Profiles and not "P", huh?). So, my 40-year old brain needs the help.

Also, I'm continually frustrated when I'm asked on a phone call to input text that requires the use of the phone keypad alpha characters. You know, "Spell the name of the person you are trying to reach", or addressing voicemails by last name...

So, I sat down and made up this .xls file to use as a memory aid. I printed these bits and shrunk them down small on label paper and stuck on my BB case as a reference. Elegant, no. Accessible, yes.

You'll find two bits in this file:

1. A QWERTYish list of Home screen keyboard shortcuts.
2. A touch-tone keypad map that has the digits and corresponding alpha characters on it.

A few notes: first, I use Mark Rejhon's cool QuickNote and QuickCompose (great freeware!) so you'll see these on the shortcut diagram. Second, this file is nothing special. Feel free to correct it, modify it, change it, love it or hate it. I did this to help me with my T-Mo 8700g, I hope it helps someone else. (Hell, someone probably did something like it already...)

Final note: I couldn't the upload the .xls file, so I pasted the cells into Word as an Excel Object. Just open the Word file and double-click on the Object and it will open the spreadsheet. It's easy to make changes and print from there...

Enjoy, (pg)
Attached Files
File Type: doc BB Cheet Sheet v1.0.doc (22.5 KB, 350 views)
Old 11-28-2006, 12:14 PM   #2
DiRN
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by parenthetical guy
2. A touch-tone keypad map that has the digits and corresponding alpha characters on it.
For this, if you hold down the Alt key and type the letter you wish to dial, it will translate it for you. For example, entering 800GOFEDEX will actually dial 8004633339.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:35 PM   #3
parenthetical guy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiRN
For this, if you hold down the Alt key and type the letter you wish to dial, it will translate it for you. For example, entering 800GOFEDEX will actually dial 8004633339.
Yeah, thanks, I got this tip already.

My problem is a bit different. Actually, it's the reverse. On automated answering systems or voicemail systems sometimes you're prompted to type in names using the alpha characters on the traditional "touchpad". Hence, my memory aid...

(pg)
Old 11-28-2006, 12:41 PM   #4
Crupp

Model: 9000
PIN: 249e66f1
Carrier: AT&T

You may want to try the corporate ext. dialing feature. This may help.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:42 PM   #5
DiRN

Model: 8900
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Yeah, thanks, I got this tip already.

My problem is a bit different. Actually, it's the reverse. On automated answering systems or voicemail systems sometimes you're prompted to type in names using the alpha characters on the traditional "touchpad". Hence, my memory aid...

(pg)
I'm sorry, I don't follow. If you are in a system and want to type the name John, typing JOHN or 5646 results in 5646 being sent out from the phone. Or do you mean the system wants you to do 5 for J, 666 of O, 44 for H, and 66 for N?
Old 11-29-2006, 09:07 AM   #6
parenthetical guy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Reasons to need to know the numbers/alphanumerics DURING a call.

Scenario 1:
Me: (Dialing Company X on my BB 8700g)
Company X: (Automated System) "Thank you for calling Company X. If you know the extension of the person you are trying to reach, please enter it now. If you don't know the extension, please press 1."
Me: (Pressing 1)
Company X: Please spell the last name of the person you are trying to reach using your touch tone keypad.
Me: Ummmm. (Not remembering the alpha keypad and wishing I some handy diagram of the numbers and corresponding letters...)

Scenario 2:
Me: (Using my company voicemail system and just completing an outgoing message)
Company Voicemail system: Please enter the mailbox number. To enter a name, please press "pound".
Me: (Press pound)
Company Voicemail system: Enter the last name first
Me: Ummmm. (Not remembering the alpha keypad and wishing I some handy diagram of the numbers and corresponding letters...)
Old 12-07-2006, 01:01 PM   #7
pkey

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel

Quote:
Reasons to need to know the numbers/alphanumerics DURING a call.

Scenario 1:
Me: (Dialing Company X on my BB 8700g)
Company X: (Automated System) "Thank you for calling Company X. If you know the extension of the person you are trying to reach, please enter it now. If you don't know the extension, please press 1."
Me: (Pressing 1)
Company X: Please spell the last name of the person you are trying to reach using your touch tone keypad.
YOU: Hold alt and type the last name of the person you're trying to reach.

Quote:
Scenario 2:
Me: (Using my company voicemail system and just completing an outgoing message)
Company Voicemail system: Please enter the mailbox number. To enter a name, please press "pound".
Me: (Press pound)
Company Voicemail system: Enter the last name first
YOU: Hold alt and type the last name.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:10 AM   #8
parenthetical guy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Oh, I get it now. Thanks for setting me straight.

I didn't realize the Alt-letter feature worked during call, too.

(pg)
Old 04-16-2007, 07:09 PM   #9
jtdarden

Model: 8xxx
PIN: member2393
Carrier: Sprint Nextel
Default pg

Hey pg, another way to do it is use the extension dialing capability built into the bb:

In the phone number field for the person you are calling type the number like this:
1-800-555-1212,x2000

This will first dial the number, pause, and then a popup screen will appear asking if you want to dial then extension, skip, or end the call.

You could very well enter it as follows:

1-800-555-1212,xLARRY

Just another way to skin the cat. Unfortunately, this will not allow you to dial multiple extensions (ex: 1-800-555-1212,1,xLARRY)
Old 04-17-2007, 08:46 PM   #10
tifosiv122
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by parenthetical guy View Post
Oh, I get it now. Thanks for setting me straight.

I didn't realize the Alt-letter feature worked during call, too.

(pg)
Don't feel bad, today is the first day I called a company like you described without my Treo...I look at the keypad saying how the hell do I spell LUKE? I had to hang up and use another phone. Thanks to this thread I know how to do it.

Erik
Closed Thread