BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
Boo-meringue
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8707
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2
Default Very specific problem with Google Maps and IT policy/application control policy

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All,

I'm trying to deploy Google Maps 4.5.3 from our BES 5.03 (latest maintenance release) to some 9860 handsets. I've got it to a stage where I can deploy it out to handsets but, when I run it on a handset, it is unable to get my location via GPS.

We have tight security rules and I have spent some time getting the application control policy for Google Maps opened up only as far as is required to run the application. I have the following rules set to allow with everything else disallowed/denied:

Interprocess Communication API
Internal network connections
GPS API
Change device settings
Display info whilst locked
WiFi API

This seems to allow Google Maps to work nicely, except for the GPS. When I ask Google Maps to find my location it gets my cell location* (accurate to a few km) but goes no further.

Sometimes when it gets to the point where it should be improving the accuracy with GPS, it pops up an error saying "The application GoogleMaps has attempted to open an external connection which is not allowed by your IT Policy". I've a nasty feeling that Google Maps, for some bizarre reason, needs to get an external connection in order to use GPS.

Now, the above error is referencing an IT policy item, not an application control policy item - if I enable it then all applications on the handset will be able to use external connections e.g. WAP. This is not an option as we have MDS set up on our BES so that all traffic routes via our IT infrastructure.

The other possibility is that our IT infrastructure (via MDS) is somehow blocking some API or something that Google Maps needs when it uses GPS. This seems unlikely though.

I should mention that Blackberry Maps works fine and is able to get a GPS fix no problem. Any help greatly appreciated!

*This didn't work either, incidentally, until I enabled WiFi API in the application control policy. WiFi is actually disabled on all of our Blackberries, so it seems a bad bit of coding on Google's part that this obsolete setting must be enabled in order for cell location to work.

Last edited by Boo-meringue; 08-07-2012 at 11:23 AM..
Old 08-07-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
fadmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Fido
Default Re: Very specific problem with Google Maps and IT policy/application control policy

It defaults to external but will fail over to MDS after that and it works, sucks but that's how it is.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:58 AM   #3
Boo-meringue

Default Re: Very specific problem with Google Maps and IT policy/application control policy

But what about the GPS itself? I'd kind of guessed that's what the application was doing, but it doesn't really explain why I can't get a GPS lock.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
fadmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Fido

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ogle-maps.html
Old 09-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
Boo-meringue

Turns out it was permissions in the end. Bluetooth was the one I was missing, of all things.

The permissions I had to allow to get the app to work:

Interprocess communication
Internal Network connections
Bluetooth Serial Profile
GPS API

Everything else is locked down. I still get the "GoogleMaps has attempted to open an external connection" message from my first post, but that's just a mild irritation.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
Stu_Bee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo-meringue View Post
Everything else is locked down. I still get the "GoogleMaps has attempted to open an external connection" message from my first post, but that's just a mild irritation.
have you tried changing the googlemaps application options on the handheld itself?

os6: options -> device -> application management -> select google maps
Press Menu & select "Edit Permissions"
Highlight "Connections"
press Menu & select Expand
Server Network: should be set to Prompt or Allow
Internet: set to Deny
Old 10-02-2012, 05:30 AM   #7
Boo-meringue

Just realised that WiFi API is also allowed on the application control policy.

So:
Interprocess communication
Internal Network connections
Bluetooth Serial Profile
GPS API
WiFi API

The permissions on the handset reflect this as you'd expect. The above are all set to allow and everything else is set to deny (and greyed out). I think the external network connection error is just a bug, tbh.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #8
Stu_Bee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel

As I stated above..did you try telling the app itself not to use the "internet' but only the server network?

Also, if that doesn't work. Do you get he same error if Wifi is turned off on the handset? Maybe it's trying to use assisted gps using locally locatable wifi signals for the initial location.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:02 AM   #9
Boo-meringue

I'm also seeing the same error on another app: FancyTran.

As I said, the permissions shown on the handset reflect exactly what is set in the BES ACP - "Server Network" is set to Allow and "Internet" is set to Deny. This is the case with both apps I'm seeing this error on.

Wifi is disabled under our IT Policy so is always switched off on handsets.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #10
yakovadl

Model: 9350
Carrier: sprint

From where can I download it and btw also haveing prob. With app google app for bb

Please help

Last edited by yakovadl; 12-09-2012 at 01:13 PM..
Old 12-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #11
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

on device goto Google Mobile
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Closed Thread