BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 11:25 AM   #1
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not
Default SQL Transaction Log ..... issues?

Please Login to Remove!

After months and months and months of no issues with our SQL (2000) transaction log, today it's growing and growing and growing (not the actual database, just the transaction log).

This BES environment is v4.0.6, Exchange 2003 SP2, and currently has 488 users on it.

The original size of the transaction log was set to 100M (too small, I know, BUT has been like this for over a year...plus I think the DBA's had it set to automatically grow or something if necessary). A DBA I am not.

The application log on the BES starting throwing all kinds of errors this morning, including:

"The log file for database 'BESMgmt' is full. Back up the transaction log for the database to free up some log space."

I talked with the DBA's and they doubled the size to 200M...which was fine for about 10 minutes, but then it filled up again. They then set it to 1G (refusing to set it to unlimited), and I rebooted the BES. However, the transaction log has continued to grow and is now over 500M (again, the actual database size is not growing).

This started sometime this weekend, since the above errors were not present in the application log on Friday (I had a single user sync issue I was investigating, so was looking at the app log). We have not done any patching to the BES, and the only utility that has been run was handheldcleanup, run late last night, to resolve a problem with adding a user who had been moved from another Exchange/BES environment to this one.

I have already contacted RIM and sent them the Application Log, and they said they did not find any issues with the BES....

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Happy darn Monday!
Old 06-25-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

1 - I believe 100MB is the default size set for a SQL transaction log in MSDE.
2 - This should be set to unlimited growth.

As for your issue, not really sure...
Old 06-25-2007, 12:40 PM   #3
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Yea, I think the size was never changed after we moved the DB from MSDE to SQL....well over a year ago. Which is why I don't understand why everything is going to hades NOW....why not earlier??

The Transaction Log is now at 700M and growing.... so yet another call to RIM... gotta love T-Support!
Old 06-25-2007, 02:24 PM   #4
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Talked to RIM and they said the server is most likely playing 'catch up' since the log ran out of space (I think very, very early this morning).

I also found out that the SQL server ran out of disk space on Saturday, so I'm sure THAT didn't help at all. It was fixed within an hour, and I never noticed any disruption in service (continued to receive emails all weekend).

Can anyone tell me what the 'normal' size transaction log would be for around 500 users?

I'm still baffled why we never had issued before this while the log size was set to 100M.....quite puzzling.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:23 PM   #5
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-mobile

I wish I could help. My log is 25MB with a 50MB limit for my 21 users. What does the transaction log record? (I am an sql dunce, so I apologize if this is a dumb question)
BES 4.1
Old 06-25-2007, 04:13 PM   #6
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

I wouldn't think it should be any more than 20-30MB, at the most. I think 15-20MB per 500 users is about average (in BES 4.0.x, that is).
Old 06-25-2007, 06:23 PM   #7
BB_God
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
After months and months and months of no issues with our SQL (2000) transaction log, today it's growing and growing and growing (not the actual database, just the transaction log).

This BES environment is v4.0.6, Exchange 2003 SP2, and currently has 488 users on it.

The original size of the transaction log was set to 100M (too small, I know, BUT has been like this for over a year...plus I think the DBA's had it set to automatically grow or something if necessary). A DBA I am not.

The application log on the BES starting throwing all kinds of errors this morning, including:

"The log file for database 'BESMgmt' is full. Back up the transaction log for the database to free up some log space."

I talked with the DBA's and they doubled the size to 200M...which was fine for about 10 minutes, but then it filled up again. They then set it to 1G (refusing to set it to unlimited), and I rebooted the BES. However, the transaction log has continued to grow and is now over 500M (again, the actual database size is not growing).

This started sometime this weekend, since the above errors were not present in the application log on Friday (I had a single user sync issue I was investigating, so was looking at the app log). We have not done any patching to the BES, and the only utility that has been run was handheldcleanup, run late last night, to resolve a problem with adding a user who had been moved from another Exchange/BES environment to this one.

I have already contacted RIM and sent them the Application Log, and they said they did not find any issues with the BES....

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Happy darn Monday!
Chances are the recovery model is set to Full. The default for BESMgmt is Simple. This can be changed via SQL Enterprise Manager or via T-SQL

ALTER DATABASE BESMgmt SET RECOVERY Simple
GO

You will want to backup your database before making any changes.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:38 PM   #8
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Thanks, Jibi and BB_God, I'll pass along the info to my DBA's.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:10 PM   #9
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

and for a bit of a delayed response here ... Has the MDF / database size grown at all?
Closed Thread