BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 07-03-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
trodecke

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Making phone call while phone is locked

Please Login to Remove!

I wasn't for sure if this should be in the BES admin forum or this one. Here's the deal. We have a BES server (4.X) with upwards of 120 BB devices, most of which are 8830s. We have an IT policy applied that does several things, two of which are to lock the screen and require a password. We have left the setting to allow phone calls while the phone is locked untouched so it can be set on the phones. So far that has worked well, our users can make phone calls, accessing their contacts lists, without actually having to unlock the phone.

We recently started testing BlackBerry Connect with a couple of AT&T Tilts. On those phones when the phone is locked and a key is pressed, the only options they get are to make an emergency phone call (i.e. 911) or to unlock the phone. They aren't presented with the option to make a phone call. They can still answer the phone but they can't originate a call when the phone is locked.

My question is, is there a way to change this? I don't think it's a policy setting as the regular BB phones are able to make calls while they're locked. Is there something in the BBC software we can change to allow this or is there some section of the policy that's different for the BBCs and BBs? Thanks in advance!
Old 07-07-2008, 09:45 PM   #2
trodecke

No one? OK, let's come at this from another direction. Does anyone else see this same behavior? Is this peculiar to just our installation? Thanks.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:51 PM   #3
trodecke

Must be a one off problem. 214 views and no replies. Well, slightly off topic but mostly pertinent, does anyone else have a BBC client running against a BES server with an IT policy that locks the screen and requires a password? Anyone?
Old 07-15-2008, 05:33 PM   #4
bobby jones
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: e90
Carrier: at&t

with my company global security policy that requires a password - yes, i do need to unlock the phone before making a call. receiving a call while locked is no problem.

this is with e90 and BES with AT&T.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:04 PM   #5
trodecke

Thanks. At least now I know it's working as designed, if not as desired. ;)