BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 04:28 PM   #1
UsernameRequirement

Model: z10
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Base
Default Inexplicable problems with my z10, please help.

Please Login to Remove!

Hello all. I have spent like 4 days trying to fix a problem on my z10 and I've been to just about every site bar this one so here's to hoping that someone here can help me. So the problem is that my keyboard isn't working. I mean it works on applications like the calculator and such, but not for the search function and other things. The back story is that I had to switch it off during a presentation, then when I attempted to turn it back on, it did so BUT when I had to unlock the sim card by putting in my pin the keyboard did not respond. It popped up as usual, but whilst I clicked the numbers nothing popped up on the screen. Now obviously at first I didn't panic and thought that a simple security wipe would do it.

Granted thats enormously irritating because I have to back the phone up and put every single contact and pictures etc. on the laptop. After I did that, I went to wipe the phone but I soon realised that that was not possible because the wipe asks for you to type in "blackberry" which is far from ideal when the phone's keyboard doesn't work. So I couldn't wipe it and now I'm out of possible solutions. The phone's applications work (most of them at least) but it obviously doesn't make phone calls or send messages given the fact that I couldn't put in my pin code.

So to recap, the touchscreen works and even the keyboard (for some apps like the calculator) but it won't work when I try to wipe the phone, enter my pin code or use the search function. The software system is 10.2.1 (?). Thats what it says in the "about" section. As you've all probably realised I'm no tech wizz kid and I have absolutely no idea what to do to fix it.

I would take it to the store but I have no warranty or anything and (living in belgium) there is a severe shortage of blackberry experts here so any tiny little thing will cost an arm and a leg. So if it's a big problem I've no doubt that it'll cost a ridiculous amount of money and unfortunately I just can't afford a big expense for my phone right now.

I was boasting and bragging to people about how happy and pleasantly surprised I was with the z10 so it's only fitting that it malfunctioned and I'm honestly bitterly disappointed.

Any help would be really really appreciated. Thanks all.

Last edited by UsernameRequirement; 11-09-2014 at 04:31 PM..
Old 11-09-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: Inexplicable problems with my z10, please help.

So, to make sure I understand, you tap in a text field and the soft keyboard comes up, like it should, but when you tap entries from the soft keyboard the entries do not appear in the text field. Everything else appears to work correctly.

Here is what I would try. Hold the power button down and keep holding it down until the device has turned off and begins booting again. Then test.

Alternatives are holding the up and down volume buttons until the device resets, or powering off the device and removing the battery for a minute or two. Some think one method is better, but I don't know. You can always try one, then try another if the first doesn't do the trick.

I really don't think you need to do wipe if I've understood you. A reset should do it.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:45 PM   #3
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Try this link

KB33724-Screen does not respond to touch or appears to be frozen on the BlackBerry Z10 smartphone
Old 11-10-2014, 03:09 AM   #4
UsernameRequirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
So, to make sure I understand, you tap in a text field and the soft keyboard comes up, like it should, but when you tap entries from the soft keyboard the entries do not appear in the text field. Everything else appears to work correctly.

Here is what I would try. Hold the power button down and keep holding it down until the device has turned off and begins booting again. Then test.

Alternatives are holding the up and down volume buttons until the device resets, or powering off the device and removing the battery for a minute or two. Some think one method is better, but I don't know. You can always try one, then try another if the first doesn't do the trick.

I really don't think you need to do wipe if I've understood you. A reset should do it.
You have understood correctly! I have tried to take the battery out and all of that stuff and it still does not work unfortunately. I will try to reset it now and hope of the best!
Old 11-10-2014, 03:12 AM   #5
UsernameRequirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
Try this link
I have tried to update it on bb link and it won't update. I will try again and let you guys know. Thanks for the responses by the way much appreciated.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:45 AM   #6
UsernameRequirement

I've done the update and it still doesn't work. None of the messaging systems (whether it be whatsapp or text messaging) are opening. Really disappointing because I was loving the phone before all this happened. It had minor issues but on the whole it was great to use and the hub was a delight but there's no point paying 350 euros for something that isn't going to last for over a year.
Closed Thread