BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 09:34 AM   #41
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Please Login to Remove!

Are these initial Cingular 8700's unlocked like the 7290's were when Cingular first got them?
Old 11-02-2005, 09:58 AM   #42
zma
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 7520: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry7520/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I like it. This is the handset that will finally break me away from Nextel.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:01 AM   #43
plakius
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon

i was at the event last night .... i agree with the fellas the keyboard is slightly different but i am sure after only a few hours you'll get used to it ..... i love the "list" menu..... it was my favorite feature on the 7100 but after a month or so and that sad excuse for a keyboard not being what i wanted nor needed i switched over to the 7290 ..... i scored my invite from bbhub , when i got there i was issued an orange lanyard which means on your way out you get NADA .... i left with a big frown and was told i had to wait until november 21st ..... what is this voucher you talk about?? .... WAAAAAA I WANT AN 8700!!!!
Old 11-02-2005, 10:33 AM   #44
rjharary
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
Carrier: Bell South

Quote:
Originally Posted by plakius
i was at the event last night .... i agree with the fellas the keyboard is slightly different but i am sure after only a few hours you'll get used to it ..... i love the "list" menu..... it was my favorite feature on the 7100 but after a month or so and that sad excuse for a keyboard not being what i wanted nor needed i switched over to the 7290 ..... i scored my invite from bbhub , when i got there i was issued an orange lanyard which means on your way out you get NADA .... i left with a big frown and was told i had to wait until november 21st ..... what is this voucher you talk about?? .... WAAAAAA I WANT AN 8700!!!!

The voucher was given out toward the end, it was inside the lance book, after the bags ran out. BRICKBREAKER, is the same one as on 7100! and this is good news for me! top score..... 12680
Old 11-02-2005, 10:51 AM   #45
barjohn
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700
Carrier: AT&T

By the way, the info that was given out at the press conference yesterday and told to some at last night's event that the 8700 would be available for order from B2B sales today appears to be incorrect from the B2B sales folks I have spoken with. ANyone else heard anything different? Given how poorly informed they tend to be it may just be the two I spoke with.

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 11-02-2005, 11:10 AM   #46
chad5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: sprint
Default if you get a chance...

could you ask them when it might really be availible on Tmo net work?

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2005, 11:14 AM   #47
bperkins

Model: 9000

I called yesterday too after listening to Kent Mathy (Cingular's President of Business Markets Group) say that it was available today for ordering via the B2B sales force.

Yesterday when I called they said that it was not showing up in their warehouse so I could not place an order. Today they said they could not find any info (profile) on it. I emailed my rep and he said as soon as he is able to place an order he would call me.

Last edited by bperkins; 11-02-2005 at 12:10 PM..
Old 11-02-2005, 11:18 AM   #48
kwilkins
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUFan
I know you talked about the speaker phone quality but how is the quality when holding it up to your ear? Also, notice any improvement (loudness) when using a BT headset?
Below is a quote from PCmag review of the 8700c. They are not impressed with the audio!

----------------------------------------------------------

But BlackBerrys have generally been mediocre phones, and the 8700c is no exception. Its earpiece is loud and the speakerphone very loud, but the built-in microphone is poor at canceling background noise and we experienced several audio dropouts and fluctuations during test calls despite the BlackBerry's interface reporting full signal strength.

When the audio wasn't dropping out, it was sharp with a strong high-pitched or shrill quality. But there's one big phone feature missing: voice dialing (what do the folks at RIM have against this feature?).
Old 11-02-2005, 11:35 AM   #49
Mr Pink57
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Just curious cause maybe I missed it... but does this BB have GPS like the 7520 and 7100i?

By the way thanks for the pics, they look great.

pink
Old 11-02-2005, 12:10 PM   #50
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780
PIN: Another name for the flagstick, term more commonly used by amateurs
Carrier: TMO, ATT, Nextel, Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by boygenius
Your looking at the Cingular 8700c given to me at the NYC launch event tonite in retail box. Everyone telling you there getting them, there getting them...NOPE. They gave out VOUCHERS so when its released you can get the device, sorry chrisambo, looks like your crap out of luck, no $40 parking for a blackberry this night, Device is crazy web browsing is amazing, MSNBC loads in 10 seconds, the screen is amazing, speed and usability jumped from 7290 ten fold. Very genius device...
Genius, you're right... didn't pay $40 for parking, only $20 . . . well worth the trip considering open bar... never mind the warm Heini . . . Vodka Cranberry / Rhum Coke all the way . . .

My Cingular rep personally introduced me to apps vendors, tried out the berry and do agree with boygenius that it's fast on the browsing function. I had a TMO 7290 run same pages and 8700 loaded pics faster w/ more vivid colors. Email message preview with split screen similar to outlook. Office docs & SS viewing & printing directly from BB was great.. . didn't leave with an 8700 in hand but the good news is that these vendors are kicking the apps in my device when it's sent on 11/14 thanks to my able and connected rep . . .

NO VOUCHERS either, they were thank you cards for attending and continues to say that a Cingular rep will contact attendee to arrange delivery of the 8700. Don't think that you can exchange voucher for device at any store. Everything will be dependent on the registration info.

As the event was winding down, guy at registration booth was busy inputting on his notebook nametags that were unclaimed (no shows). I guess, that's less BB's to send out . . .
Old 11-02-2005, 12:25 PM   #51
Wiseass

Model: 9850
PIN: k Floyd \m/ ROCK!
Carrier: VZW

I was told by my cingular rep that we'll have ours Nov 21st. Sadly I'm out that week for thanksgiving vacation but I may have to stop at the office to pick it up if it indeed does get here

Also going to the Chicago event tonight in Evanston, should be fun!
Old 11-02-2005, 12:47 PM   #52
AlbertoM

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by plakius
. i love the "list" menu..... it was my favorite feature on the 7100 but after a month or so and that sad excuse for a keyboard not being what i wanted nor needed i switched over to the 7290 ..
I think if you check the theme pictures, the "list menu" a la 7100 is there...
Old 11-02-2005, 12:50 PM   #53
SUFan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkins
Below is a quote from PCmag review of the 8700c. They are not impressed with the audio!

----------------------------------------------------------

But BlackBerrys have generally been mediocre phones, and the 8700c is no exception. Its earpiece is loud and the speakerphone very loud, but the built-in microphone is poor at canceling background noise and we experienced several audio dropouts and fluctuations during test calls despite the BlackBerry's interface reporting full signal strength.

When the audio wasn't dropping out, it was sharp with a strong high-pitched or shrill quality. But there's one big phone feature missing: voice dialing (what do the folks at RIM have against this feature?).

That's Depressing.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:54 PM   #54
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: FFFFFFF

Device is SIM locked to Cingular, I have confirmed that Cingular has a 90-day exclusive with the 8700 for the US. Have not heard a firm Rogers release date but the 15th might be a go. Not really sure. In regards to that review on the phone features I have never ever used the blackberry as aphone it is email only and have a seperate phone, just to test this out a couple times the wired headset worked beautifully, bluetooth flawlessly, and the device itself amazing, send end is extremely fast no delay, the speakerphone is incredible, best I have heard on mobile phone, there have been no audio problems, works like any normal phone. Nothing bad to say about the device at all, got used to keyboard and like it better now than 7290. Just need that AIM on here, and no, no verichat, i will take webmessenger over verichat anyday of the week.

The Boy Genius Report
Old 11-02-2005, 01:02 PM   #55
barjohn

I read that 3rd party software for older BBs (prior to 8700) may need to be recompiled to work on the 8700. Anyone else see that and know anything about it?

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 11-02-2005, 01:38 PM   #56
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: FFFFFFF

Yeah that's why I'm a little shaded out about adding software, it should make much of a difference I'm sure the core code is pretty much the same. By the way Pink on the unit I have and I believe all cingular units there is no GPS builtin.

The Boy Genius Report
Old 11-02-2005, 02:02 PM   #57
DavidE

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjohn
I read that 3rd party software for older BBs (prior to 8700) may need to be recompiled to work on the 8700. Anyone else see that and know anything about it?
Assuming that what you've read is true, I would guess the switch to a new family of processors is the cause. Many generic J2ME programs would still work, but programs that talk directly to the hardware might need to be recompiled for the Intel processor.

DavidE
www.davidenglish.com

Last edited by DavidE; 11-02-2005 at 02:10 PM..
Old 11-02-2005, 02:26 PM   #58
b00st3d

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by boygenius
Device is SIM locked to Cingular, I have confirmed that Cingular has a 90-day exclusive with the 8700 for the US.
do you think original at&t sims will work? i have my at&t sim in my 7100 and it works perfectly...just wondering if the 8700 will accept the sim as well?!
Old 11-02-2005, 02:40 PM   #59
crisambo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780
PIN: Another name for the flagstick, term more commonly used by amateurs
Carrier: TMO, ATT, Nextel, Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00st3d
do you think original at&t sims will work? i have my at&t sim in my 7100 and it works perfectly...just wondering if the 8700 will accept the sim as well?!
If you're SIM is what they call Cingular Blue, then you can probably use it on the 8700 and update your account over the myCingular BB webclient website for device provisioning.

https://webclient.blackberry.net/Web...ite=mycingular
Old 11-02-2005, 03:06 PM   #60
barjohn

I hate to sound dumb ...but what is Cingular Blue?

Active PIN 203A5535
Closed Thread