Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
sjt79
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW - Love/Hate
Question Verizon 8830 Signature/Gmail/BIS

Please Login to Remove!

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I scoured the posts and used the search function as much as I could tolerate before posting this.

After receiving a copy of my sent emails using Gmail POP3 and trying to edit my signature to remove the "Sent from my Blackberry Device" with no luck, I called Verizon to ask if I could do this. I was told flat out "No." I was told that no one can. When I told him (as from my knowledge on here) that other carriers give their users a BIS application to configure on the web, he had nothing to say to that other than the fact that Verizon Wireless doesn't. I see posts about people going to the BIS website for VZW on Blackberry.com - it no longer is active. I can only access BIS from my 8830 directly. It doesn't allow me to change the signature there.

Therefore, I also can't change the settings suggested on some of the posts here to get the Gmail "sent email" forward to stop.

Is this a new version of BIS for Verizon? Is everyone else on Verizon crippled just like me or has Verizon done it to us yet again?

One more reason to hate Verizon just as much as I love them.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:34 AM   #2
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

I know on T-Mobile I can't edit the Signature from the Device setup, I do have to log in to the T-Mobile web site to do that. If that is the case that would be very strange. I mean, how would they get device updates out to the customers?
Old 10-31-2007, 09:53 AM   #3
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjt79 View Post
Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I scoured the posts and used the search function as much as I could tolerate before posting this.

After receiving a copy of my sent emails using Gmail POP3 and trying to edit my signature to remove the "Sent from my Blackberry Device" with no luck, I called Verizon to ask if I could do this. I was told flat out "No." I was told that no one can. When I told him (as from my knowledge on here) that other carriers give their users a BIS application to configure on the web, he had nothing to say to that other than the fact that Verizon Wireless doesn't. I see posts about people going to the BIS website for VZW on Blackberry.com - it no longer is active. I can only access BIS from my 8830 directly. It doesn't allow me to change the signature there.

Therefore, I also can't change the settings suggested on some of the posts here to get the Gmail "sent email" forward to stop.

Is this a new version of BIS for Verizon? Is everyone else on Verizon crippled just like me or has Verizon done it to us yet again?

I just logged on and was able to change mine.

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw
Old 10-31-2007, 11:20 AM   #4
sjt79
Thumbs Must Hurt

Interesting, when I went to that site this morning, there was an error message telling me to go to my device to logon. I guess it was temporary.

However, I just went there now, entered my (BB) username and password that I made for my BB account on my BB when I activated it a few days ago and it says it doesn't recognize me. So I tried to create a new account and when I input my PIN and ESN it gave an error message that said I am not allowed to access BIS via HTML and must do it only from my device (which has none of the options mentioned on here for other carriers). Possibly a new version of BIS/OS for the 8830? It was just bought a few days ago.

I am running v.v4.2.2.148 (Platform 3.0.0.67)
Old 10-31-2007, 11:28 AM   #5
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog46
Quote:

I just logged on and was able to change mine.

In vzw you can change the signature from a PC by using the link above or you can change it through your e-mail settings application which has an icon on your bb desktop.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 10-31-2007, 12:00 PM   #6
sjt79
Thumbs Must Hurt

akosnitzky - thanks for the reply, but please see my response above yours. Neither of those options work for me.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:56 PM   #7
namson

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
akosnitzky - thanks for the reply, but please see my response above yours. Neither of those options work for me.
From your BB, log in to BIS and choose "create a new account" from there. After that, you can edit your signature from either your phone or through the website from your desktop. I did this yesterday and it worked for me.

Last edited by namson; 10-31-2007 at 12:58 PM..
Old 10-31-2007, 01:44 PM   #8
tj13
Thumbs Must Hurt

i am having the same problem.
from my BB i get an error trying to log onto the site to edit any email account. my new pc is not here yet so i cannot use that option. I get an error "HTTP error 404 not found" this is when i try to edit any of the 4 email accounts i have setup. i can surf the web and use other services... thanks from the nooobie

Last edited by tj13; 10-31-2007 at 01:48 PM..
Old 10-31-2007, 02:36 PM   #9
sjt79
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by namson View Post
From your BB, log in to BIS and choose "create a new account" from there. After that, you can edit your signature from either your phone or through the website from your desktop. I did this yesterday and it worked for me.
I had already done this, which is how I have my blackberry email address in the first place. I don't want another blackberry address, so I'm a bit confused as to how making a new account would help. That seems as if it would just add another alias within the 10 alotted from RIM.

I'm just wondering if people with the old version of the OS were able to use the BIS on the web and the newer version (out of the box, not upgrade) makes BIS only available on the unit itself and blocks certain options.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:32 PM   #10
BetterOffDad
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
I was told flat out "No." I was told that no one can.
I don't know how to fix your problem, but I can promise you that the Verizon rep is absolutely wrong. I've changed my signature a couple of times in the past 2 months via my PC...and I just did it again, so the whole "no one can" is flat wrong.

Good luck.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:44 PM   #11
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Carrier: *

Changing the signature via the WAP site has always been a problem. You can change it by using the REAL website via a PC all day long though. If you don't already know the site is... https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw

Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 10-31-2007 at 04:46 PM..
Old 10-31-2007, 09:10 PM   #12
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Carrier: VZW Bold

Quote:
I had already done this, which is how I have my blackberry email address in the first place. I don't want another blackberry address, so I'm a bit confused as to how making a new account would help. That seems as if it would just add another alias within the 10 alotted from RIM.

I'm just wondering if people with the old version of the OS were able to use the BIS on the web and the newer version (out of the box, not upgrade) makes BIS only available on the unit itself and blocks certain options.
I have the same os as you so I don't think it would be that.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:04 AM   #13
sjt79
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by namson View Post
Sorry, I should have paid better attention. "Create a new account" is very different than "Add a new email address" in the BIS on the BB. As soon as I did this (with a tech support rep who actually knew what she was talking about), I got a warning stating that I will always have to use this user id and password instead of my BB email and password to access BIS from here on in. Once I made a user id and password, I was able to get into the control panel on the computer rather than just the BB.

Now the only two things we (the tech and I) were wondering is why Verizon/RIM would not make it mandatory for you to create that user id when you create a blackberry email account to avoid this confusion and why you are only able to change the signature from the computer and not the handset, when they both have BIS access.

The only thing I'm left wondering is why Verizon/RIM (whoever is responsible for this) makes it so that you can't have an empty signature. If I blank it out, it won't save. If I put just one character in, any character, it saves. Oh well. It's better (to me) than having the whole standard "Sent from my Verizon Wireless Blackberry".

Thanks everyone for the fast and helpful replies. I'd be lost already without this forum!
Old 11-16-2007, 05:49 PM   #14
newbbuser76

Carrier: Verizon - BIS

I just created a new blackberry email account and I cannot log into or create a new account on the blackberry bis website via my BB. I get the java error. In the email settings on the BB I cannot edit the signature either. Do I need to login or create a new blackberry bis website account via a PC?
Old 11-16-2007, 06:20 PM   #15
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???

Quote:

use a desktop pc, login to the bis, from the desktop, delete the signature per email acct on bis, problem solved.

you cant do it off the phone for some reason. so use a desktop.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:33 AM   #16
newbbuser76

I just tired it via the PC and still cant get it to work. I use my blackberry email and password cant login. THen i tried creating a new account with either ESN in hex and decimal format and i get some "cant access account via HTML browser"

Anyone know what i am doing wrong here....
Old 11-17-2007, 12:15 PM   #17
rta53
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Storm

Are you using this link to get to BIS?

Old 11-17-2007, 12:20 PM   #18
gjg

i had to call to get my login set up and was then able to edit my signature.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:44 AM   #19
newbbuser76

Rta53: i am using the link stated above

gig: call verizon or called RIM/blackberry?

It seems others with verizon were able to get this working. I wonder if it becaue i setup another email account before the blackberry email?
Old 11-19-2007, 09:29 AM   #20
rta53
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbbuser76 View Post
Rta53: i am using the link stated above

gig: call verizon or called RIM/blackberry?

It seems others with verizon were able to get this working. I wonder if it becaue i setup another email account before the blackberry email?
I would give Verizon a call. They should be able to help you with this
Closed Thread