BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 05:53 PM   #1
hofo_mofo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Location: Ottawa, Ontario (University); Montreal West, Quebec (Real Home)
Model: T650

Please Login to Remove!

Old 12-09-2004, 07:34 PM   #2
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 12-09-2004, 09:07 PM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Old 12-09-2004, 09:10 PM   #4
hofo_mofo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Location: Ottawa, Ontario (University); Montreal West, Quebec (Real Home)
Model: T650

Old 02-02-2005, 08:02 PM   #5
loonews
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7280, 7290, 7250, 7100
Default Blocking all instant messaging?

Ok BES 4.0, slowely upgrading all devices to 4.0.

I'm sure I'm missing something somewhere, the new 4 management tools don't seem very straight forward however here is my issue.

With our current regulations on all electronic communication I have to disable anything that cannot be archived or logged automatically by our systems. Instant messaging is a major no no.

Now on the new devices, specifically the 7100t they come with AOL IM and apparently Yahoo is available. I need to make these inoperable or non existent on any device that uses our BES servers.

I can't find a policy setting for this that I recognize as controlling the IM clients etc.

Can someone give me an idea on removing or blocking any/all IM applications from the devices.

Thanks in advance,

Shawn
Old 02-03-2005, 11:35 AM   #6
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Not sure if this will work, but:
IT Policy > Disallow Third Party Application Downloads

I haven't really played with Software Configurations and Management Policies, so I cannot say whether or not it can be fixed. It appears that Handheld Management is read-only for the Service Books and Applications, but I would imagine at some point, you'd have full access to remove them as needed. With the IT Policy, you'd need to likely remove the Service Book and Applications. Test it out first, obviously.

The issue with the TMO IM client is that its delivered OTA. You could possibly contact them concerning this to see if they can disable the delivery of IM to the phones (assuming they are under a corporate plan, that is). The Service Book for it is listed as an "Application Download," so I'd assume the policy may work for future (not sure about current installs, though).
Old 02-03-2005, 11:57 AM   #7
mikej5780
Thumbs Must Hurt

This is an issue i have been struggling with as well. There are a couple of options as far as IT policy; however they will hinder other functionality as well. You should be able to disable 3rd party downloads (since this is a third party OTA app) but i have not tried this one. Of course this will also disallow all other 3rd party apps they may want to use. The other option is to use the IT policy to block SMS since that is what the 7100t IM client uses. Once again this will block all SMS, so that may not be a viable solution. The current solution i am working on with RIM is using the Application Control Policies with 4.0 to disallow this particular app. So far i have it working, but in a fairly roundabout way. In order to create a policy you need the cod and alx files for the app you want to block, since this one is OTA i had to manually extract the cod files using javaloader and create my own alx. You can then create a policy to block it's use (details are provided in the RIM Handheld Management Guide). The problem i have run in to is that when i apply the policy it causes the device to infinately hourglass until i reboot. After the reboot the IM app is not allowed, but the icon does still show up. When you click it it opens a browser and tries to download it again, but fails. If you then set the Allow other Browser Services IT policy to false. It blocks the service book and the icon goes away. That is where i am currently, but still working on it. The best solution would be for T-Mobile to just block it, but so far we have been unable to get them to do this. Supposedly they are working on a BES Only provisioning that will not include the IM, but they are telling me mid-year at the earliest. You should call them and pressure them as well. Hopefully they will figure out that the IM client is not very corporate friendly.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:22 PM   #8
loonews
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks much guys for the replies, I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling with this. I don't really undestand why RIM didn't allow us service book control in this release, that is a bit odd as much as they touted device control and apparently built in the management features, but they don't seem very manageable to me as far as software goes.

In a perfect world the blocking 3rd party apps solution would work, however as a financial firm there are 3rd party apps we allow, such as real time quotes, crm apps, etc. so that's not an option for us.

I have also noticed now they have MMS enabled on these, so if you're like me and have to block all that is not logged or archived I would suggest turning this off as well.

Again thanks, I just wanted to be sure I wasn't overlooking something.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:28 PM   #9
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

How about turn off MDS if it isn't needed for anything else?
Old 02-03-2005, 01:32 PM   #10
loonews
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrye
How about turn off MDS if it isn't needed for anything else?
That is likely to work, however we are heavy users of MDS so of course it's not an option.

I think it's best if I just tell the users not to use it, let's see how well that works
Old 02-03-2005, 01:39 PM   #11
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

You could edit the MDS property config file and block out all known IM services and ports.

Also, you could disable OTA loads of software, and (with 4.0 BES), disable the app loader on the desktop manager. This would prevent them from installing IM apps. For your required apps, if using BES4, assign different software configurations. That way you control which version of software users are allowed to have. They only work the software and don't need to be concerned about upgrades or anything.

Then disable the carrier browser so they can only use the MDS browser. This would remove the link to setup IM from the carrier wap homepage.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:40 PM   #12
loonews
Thumbs Must Hurt

Excellent ideas, I will look into these. How about a check box that says , block IM, gezus LOL.

Thanks again, I will update with my findings.

Shawn
Old 02-03-2005, 01:41 PM   #13
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Alternatively as well, you could install a simple host-based firewall on BES itself to block all IM ports and hosts.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:56 PM   #14
jibi
BlackBerry God

At the bottom of IT Policy, there is a user-defined folder, so you could likely add your own policy. Don't expect to see one from RIM for T-Mobile's IM application. Keep in mind that this is a 'bonus' for TMO 7100 users - not anyone else - as it makes the consumer handset a bit more consumer-based and personable rather than the business-like appearance of the 72xx and 77xx handsets they offer.

Its all part of marketing. To be honest, you may be able to look to TMO for a solution.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:35 PM   #15
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

I don't know if the TMO IM OTA load is different than regular OTA loads, but will denying 3rd party apps and OTA loads in a policy stop the IM software from loading?
Old 02-03-2005, 09:24 PM   #16
jibi
BlackBerry God

its listed as an Application Download, so i would think it would. if nothing else, i'm sure TMO set their side not to push it to the handset upon registration. the difference between TMO's IM OTA and other OTA downloads is that its being pushed from the network for 7100 handsets.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:35 AM   #17
mikej5780
Thumbs Must Hurt

The response i am getting from T-Mobile's BlackBerry Product Management group is that they cannot just "flip a switch" on a per-line basis to disable the OTA push of the IM client. It will require them to create a new price plan that does not include the IM. We are pushing them to get his done, but they are saying mid-year. Hopefully, if more corporate customers call and complain about the consumer IM client, they might pull thier heads out of you know where and get something done!
Old 02-04-2005, 09:49 AM   #18
jibi
BlackBerry God

haha. i agree completely. i'm surprised that they never planned for this (go figure). the popularity of this particular handheld (its 20% of all TMO-branded BB handhelds) should have made them realize that its not going to be used just in the consumer market. i know a lot of sales people were hesitant in moving to BB technology because of the bulkiness of the 72xx and 77xx handsets - now that they have a smaller, more phone-like alternative, a lot of the corporate market has really taken ahold of it.

i'm just surprised, thats all...
Old 02-04-2005, 01:19 PM   #19
mikej5780
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
i'm surprised that they never planned for this (go figure).
Oh...but it gets worse...they have done such a good job planning, they are planning on releasing the 7290 with the same OTA IM client. Talk about corporate friendly.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:09 PM   #20
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

How about when setting up the device, have TMO send the service book and OTA app, then delete the app, but leave the service book. That way TMO won't send it again, and if you can manage the policy setting correctly and not allow users to install OTA apps, you might have a solution then.
Closed Thread