BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
BfSkinnerPunk

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default can't tether to Mac OS X ????!!!!!

Please Login to Remove!

The new Macs just came out.

Fine. I've been waiting for the latest tweak.

So I walk in the Apple Store, tell them what I want... and while I'm waiting... I feel like shooting the bull. So I ask, "Hey, so my blackberry can tether to a Mac, right?".

I honestly thought that it was just a time filler question... but as it turns out, the answer is no!

What????

This is totally unexpected. I had to walk away empty handed because of this. I have *got* to have the ability to tether. (no, I don't want a kooky bluetooth method.)

So does my blackberry force me to stay with Windows????

I see a $70 bit of software that *might* work, but it doesn't seem like the most graceful solution....and it's not ready yet.

Heck, walk into a Verizon store with your Windows machine and they will happily sling you free tethering software like they can't wait to get rid of it and it works great.

I have read all kinds of gripes in forums like these, but why is this news to me? Isn't this a huge issue?????
Old 02-29-2008, 08:36 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

** Moved to Mac Users Corner **
Old 03-01-2008, 01:03 AM   #3
sickchilly
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
PIN: 20CFA98A
Carrier: AT&T

Sounds like somebody tried to feed you a big steaming pile. I tether all the time with my MBP and 8310 on ATT. I just had to load a script, pair via Bluetooth and enter a few modem parameters. It's pretty worthless without 3G though. That's the only reason I keep my Windows Mobile device around!

I've heard from others on Verizon that you must have a specific tethering data plan though. Really I don't know why tethering on any platform is such a great mystery. There's nothing to it, just a few details change from carrier to carrier.

The main problem is you can't get a straight answer from most carriers, let alone decent tech support.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:29 AM   #4
Knocka
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickchilly View Post
Sounds like somebody tried to feed you a big steaming pile. I tether all the time with my MBP and 8310 on ATT. I just had to load a script, pair via Bluetooth and enter a few modem parameters.
Could you post instructions of how you managed to tether your 8310 w a MBP, and perhaps post the modem script you used and the modem parameters you entered. I would greatly appreciate it. I have had no success with getting my 8310 on ATT to work. Thanks.

Knocka
Old 03-01-2008, 09:40 AM   #5
SVT Amateur
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by BfSkinnerPunk View Post
The new Macs just came out.

Fine. I've been waiting for the latest tweak.

So I walk in the Apple Store, tell them what I want... and while I'm waiting... I feel like shooting the bull. So I ask, "Hey, so my blackberry can tether to a Mac, right?".

I honestly thought that it was just a time filler question... but as it turns out, the answer is no!

What????

This is totally unexpected. I had to walk away empty handed because of this. I have *got* to have the ability to tether. (no, I don't want a kooky bluetooth method.)

So does my blackberry force me to stay with Windows????

I see a $70 bit of software that *might* work, but it doesn't seem like the most graceful solution....and it's not ready yet.

Heck, walk into a Verizon store with your Windows machine and they will happily sling you free tethering software like they can't wait to get rid of it and it works great.

I have read all kinds of gripes in forums like these, but why is this news to me? Isn't this a huge issue?????
Apple will tell you this and so will Verizon because tethering is not SUPPORTED via Mac OS X or even a Mac running Windows. The key word here is supported, which means if you ask this question instead of saying the truth in that they don't know how to tether via a Mac they instead say there is no way to do it.

I have a month old Macbook Pro (I didn't want to wait for the Penryns and I'm glad I didn't) and tethering my 8830 from Verizon via Windows Vista was an extreme chore because I had some issues installing the VZ Access Manager and it recognizing the correct modem. It literally took several hours (I was probably just a random case, most people wouldn't have this issue) to do this but it only took maybe 3 minutes tops tethering via bluetooth in Mac OS X.

I haven't tried tethering via a cable (like I do when I run my Macbook Pro in Windows Vista) so I don't have advice on how to do that. For bluetooth in Mac OS X I just easily paired the devices together (it doesn't matter which device initiates the pairing) and then after the BlackBerry 8830 was listed as one of my bluetooth devices. I then clicked on BlackBerry 8830 listed under the bluetooth icon and clicked the wheel looking icon next to the add and subtract button and selected "configure this device". I then checked "Access the Internet with your phone's data connection" and selected continue. For Phone Vendor I selected "Other" (at the bottom of the list) and then the only phone model available was "Verizon Support (PC 5220)". I was very excited about this because I thought I would have to load custom modem scripts but apparently Mac OS X 10.5.2 already has these scripts. I then entered my username as "XxxXxxXxxx@vzw3g.com" where XxxXxxXxxx was my phone number, used "vzw" as the password, and used "#777" as the phone number.

After doing these things I clicked on the phone icon that was added after doing this setup and selected "Connect Bluetooth". Within 5 seconds my Verizon 8830 was connected and I was able to verify this my seeing that my 8830 displayed "Modem Mode Enabled" at the top of the device. I was now able to browse the internet wirelessly using my phone and have had no issues yet. One thing you must know is that you have to call Verizon and tell them you want tethering added (it's an additional $15/mo. with the first month free) and there is no way to use tethering without paying this fee.

Last edited by SVT Amateur; 03-01-2008 at 09:41 AM..
Old 03-01-2008, 10:04 AM   #6
BfSkinnerPunk

Wow, thanks. Of course, bluetooth isn't of high interest... I want the higher speeds allowed through the use of an actual USB cable.... but I will certainly try to set it up.

I already tether my 8830 to my windows machine through the usual verizon software.... nice snappy internet browsing.

OK, so can I at least assume that I can use *wired* tethering to a Mac when under bootcamp?? (

I think someone said that VMfusion or Parellels won't work with wired tethering.

BTW, the Motorola Q *does* work with the Mac OS X!

If I have to run Bootcamp, then I have the additional concern of partitioning hard drive space and having a large enough hard drive for all the extra software. (I don't know how bootcamp works exactly)

After looking at my Windows options for the past few days, I am starting to look back at the Mac. Lenovo and possibly the new Dell business computer (Vostro) looked interesting. I can get them with slightly more power for less money, but it is difficult to find windows machines that are the right *size* (smallish), with decent build quality, and battery life for the same price.

So I can use wired tethering with the blackberry 8830 through bootcamp?
Old 03-01-2008, 03:19 PM   #7
sickchilly
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
So I can use wired tethering with the blackberry 8830 through bootcamp?
No idea about Boot Camp, never used it myself. I prefer Parallels since I don't have to reboot, it's just another application. I have had no problem tethering via USB to Windows XP running in Parallels. Desktop Manager 4.3.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:41 PM   #8
BfSkinnerPunk

Quote:
No idea about Boot Camp, never used it myself. I prefer Parallels since I don't have to reboot, it's just another application. I have had no problem tethering via USB to Windows XP running in Parallels. Desktop Manager 4.3.
I have been told that the virtual Windows applications (Fusion/Parallels), won't do a darn thing for you when it comes to tethering for internet use.

Just to be clear, are you saying that you are able to tether with your blackberry for *internet* access? using Parallels? That would be wonderful, but i have heard otherwise.

Syncing isn't what I'm talking about, and I assume your "desktop manager" quote is in reference to that.

On my XP machine, the desktop manager is a syncing program. The program used for internet access is called "Verizon Access"... and only works in Windows.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:45 PM   #9
sickchilly
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I have been told that the virtual Windows applications (Fusion/Parallels), won't do a darn thing for you when it comes to tethering for internet use.

Just to be clear, are you saying that you are able to tether with your blackberry for *internet* access? using Parallels? That would be wonderful, but i have heard otherwise.

Syncing isn't what I'm talking about, and I assume your "desktop manager" quote is in reference to that.

On my XP machine, the desktop manager is a syncing program. The program used for internet access is called "Verizon Access"... and only works in Windows.
Yes, I'm telling you that I can access the internet just fine tethering my 8310 to XP under Parallels by USB. Of course, you can not easily share that internet access with the Mac side.

So I don't know how I can state it any clearer. XP can get on the internet through a BB when running under Parallels. The fact that its a virtual machine has nothing to do with it.

There were problems with BB's connected via USB to eariler versions of Parallels, but 3.0 build 5584. The reason I stated Desktop Manager 4.3 is that you have to have DM installed as it is what installs the USB drivers for your BB. Of course it does not have to be running for internet access.

Further, I'm able to do this without any further software (from AT&T or other) installed. I don't know if you can be so lucky on Verizon. You may just need their software too.

Last edited by sickchilly; 03-01-2008 at 05:46 PM..
Old 03-01-2008, 09:40 PM   #10
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Model: 9700
PIN: Alt+Shift+H
Carrier: GLOBE

I haven't successfully tethered my SR MacBook 2.2 to my 8320 but I will try to check if SVT's setup would work for me.

Oh yeah, I want the newer Penryns, too!
Old 03-01-2008, 09:43 PM   #11
BfSkinnerPunk

Sorry, but I had to clarify. In prior conversations, some people say "tether" in reference to simply hooking the BB to the PC for simple syncing. Just getting our vocabulary on the same track here!

Well, I hope you are right!

Now, I'm trying to think of a way of testing it out. I do *not* want to buy a Mac only to discover that it won't work.

I wonder if the Apple store would allow me to use one of their own computers w/ parallels and install BB desktop and testing it. I'd be surprised if it doesn't require Verizon's software, but...

When I had a Verizon Cellular modem, the salesman said: "if you have a Mac, no software is needed. If you have Windows, you'll need some extra software".

This is why I was stunned to find that blackberrys had this issue with Macs...actually, most tethered cell phones have this issue with Macs.

So cool, I'm off to investigate. Any further tips are appreciated!

Kelton
Old 03-01-2008, 09:50 PM   #12
sickchilly
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (Curve 8310: BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Problems? Heh, that's why I use a Mac and Bluetooth... There are no problems. From Sprint to ATT, from Palm to Windows Mobile to Blackberry, I've never had a problem tethering.

Now syncing... That's an entirely different story!
Old 03-01-2008, 09:52 PM   #13
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Quote:
Now syncing... That's an entirely different story!
Right
Old 03-01-2008, 09:55 PM   #14
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

Quote:
[SIZE=1]Problems? Heh, that's why I use a Mac and Bluetooth... There are no problems. From Sprint to ATT, from Palm to Windows Mobile to Blackberry, I've never had a problem tethering.
I haven't actually tried to tether yet as I wasn't so sure about 10.5.2. But I will try SVT's later.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:57 PM   #15
ricpac
BBFAQ Sysop

@BfSkinnerPunk -- I don't think you can sync with the DM on either Parallels or VMWare (as has been posted a lot of times on the other Mac-related threads)
Old 03-02-2008, 06:51 AM   #16
Knocka
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: AT&T Wireless

Quote:
Yes, I'm telling you that I can access the internet just fine tethering my 8310 to XP under Parallels by USB. Of course, you can not easily share that internet access with the Mac side.

So I don't know how I can state it any clearer. XP can get on the internet through a BB when running under Parallels. The fact that its a virtual machine has nothing to do with it.
This makes perfect sense. I am able to connect my 8310 to a Mac running Windows XP under both VM Ware Fusion or Parallels (I have tested both) for purposes of backing up the BB, installing software, etc. I do not synchronize because I am on a BES, but there is no reason that synchronization with Outlook running under XP would not work. I synchronize the BB with Cryptmagic and it works fine. However, this would not allow any synching with programs on the Mac side, to my knowledge.

Thus, I see no reason why one could not also connect to the internet on the "XP" side, just as you can from any XP box.

What I thought you had accomplished was to establish the internet connection on the Mac side, without XP, or a way for the Mac side to "see" and use the internet connection established on the XP side. Can you do that?
Old 03-02-2008, 06:24 PM   #17
BfSkinnerPunk

Default Tethering Blackberrys to Mac OS X: impossible?

I've asked this in the Mac forum, and also called the Apple store.

I was excited to buy my first Mac in 10 yrs when, just shooting the bull, i asked, "Hey, I can tether may blackberry to the mac, right?".

Nope.

OK, so I'm not talking about syncing with the Mac... and I'm not talking about using Bluetooth.

I'm talking about using my Verizon 8830 that has the data plan and tethering plan which allows internet surfing when connected to my Windows machine with a usb cable.

So, in another forum, a guy is saying that I can do this so long as I have the latest Parallels 3.0 ... but I get conflicting reports.

Does anyone have any success with the internet-tethered blackberry-Mac?
If Parellels works... does VMFusion?

Thanks for any help or confirmation!
Kelton
Old 03-02-2008, 06:42 PM   #18
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

moving to Mac Users Corner. you might get an answer a bit quicker there.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:02 PM   #19
Murfunit
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMobile

Parallels and VMFusion will allow you totether, but those are tethering via Windows, not Mac OS X

I'm not an expert regarding tethering with a BB, but I do know there is VZAccess software (The dialer Verizon uses for broadband access with their other broadband capable handsets) available for mac OS X. I use it all the time for my Data Card
Old 03-02-2008, 07:06 PM   #20
BfSkinnerPunk

Darn, I asked this question in another forum to get more bites, but it was moved here!

Anyway, the Apple store returned my call and said they don't currently have an computer with parallels or VM fusion on the floor... if they did, they'd be happy to let me install whatever software I have to see if it works properly.

Otherwise, they have no idea.

I think I'll bring my software to work and find a co-worker with a new MacBook and try it out on their's (if they have Parallels 3.0).

So far, only one poster has said that they are sure it will work.

Man, i can't believe this is such a rare and "unknown issue"! Aren't there zillions of blackberry users who would want to tether????

I'm surprised to find that so many are unaware of this void in Mac-Blackberry compatibility.
Closed Thread