BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
laur419
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Decision on switching to AT&T just for the Bold...

Please Login to Remove!

Hey all-

I'm currently on T-Mobile (have been for two years) and have been very happy with their service. Unfortunately, I feel their current Blackberry phones are a bit crap (and they refuse to disclose what Blackberries they are releasing in the future), and have fallen hopelessly in love with the Blackberry Bold. So enamored, in fact, that I'm considering a switch to AT&T just to get it.

The trouble is, I've seen some mixed stuff about WiFi on the Blackberry Bold. Is it really true that you cannot make WiFi calls through the Bold?

Normally, I wouldn't care, but there's a chance I may be moving overseas in the next 5 months and if that's the case I wasn't planning on canceling my service-- I just hoped I could make calls through the wireless feature, just as I have always done with T-Mobile while abroad. I figured it was a good way to use the minutes.

Does anyone have any input on this?

And also, if I just bit the bullet and purchased a Bold to unlock, would the WiFi calling feature work on it? Or is it something within the Bold's operating system that doesn't allow for it?

Any advice appreciated

lauren
Old 03-17-2009, 07:00 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I guess I don't understand why you want to leave your current carrier who provides good service just for a different phone. IMHO, that is not a good reason. To me, the service and the connection is much more important.

Granted, moving to ATT would probably result in better coverage, but do not assume that it does. All carriers have holes in coverage, so do your homework first to make sure ATT has the coverage when and where you need it.

The BOLD will not make use of T-Mo's 3G network, it will be EDGE only as the US T-Mo uses a different frequency band than ATT.

Just my 3 cents.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 03-17-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

AS far as I know, no, you cannot make calls through wi-fi.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 03-17-2009, 07:05 PM   #4
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
Originally Posted by laur419 View Post
Unfortunately, I feel their current Blackberry phones are a bit crap (and they refuse to disclose what Blackberries they are releasing in the future),
They have released the Curve 8900, which is practically the same as the bold, without 3G. But I have looked at the other BB's tmob usa are selling and agree the rest are crap.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 03-17-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
laur419
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well, the thing is, while I do like T-Mobile, the Curve (which I have currently) is horrible, and I would go so far as to say it's the worst phone I've ever had. It crashes all the time, reboots, fried my sim as well as memory card, and sticks on the hourglass on a fairly regular basis. I've cleared a lot of the memory out and it still happens.

I see that T-Mobile has a newer Curve, but I am not convinced. Not yet. Besides, I like the idea of the Bold.

I did like my Pearl when I had it, but I also appreciate the bigger keypad and device, which is why I'm not going back to the it.

I'm really not sure what to do. I was actually all set to go to AT&T today, but I read a few more reviews and discovered this business about the WiFi calling. That may be a pretty big sticking point...
Old 03-17-2009, 07:08 PM   #6
laur419
Thumbs Must Hurt

PS- I think I have Curve-a-phobia now. I feel ill considering the 8900.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:31 PM   #7
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

lol.
id say the new curve 8900 is better than the old. take a look at the curve 8900 forum and see how bad it is.
i was torn, because the curve was prettier, but the bold just seemed better.
wi-fi calling on the bold regardless of network is, again as far as i know, not possible.

so you could get a bold and have it unlocked, and not have 3G on t-mob; or stick with t-mob and hope they get the bold (or a bold version that supports their 3g).

Old 03-17-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
laur419
Thumbs Must Hurt

Midnightdraven-- I see you're in the UK. That's actually where I may be moving to. I noticed the Bold is way cheap there...on almost all the cell phone plans. Why is that-- has it been out there awhile?

By the way that's funny you think the 8900 is prettier-- I think the Bold is! But I just like the flat look of it, really.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:29 AM   #9
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Erm, from what I know, Bold hasn't been out here are longer than the US. (I think)

Phones are cheaper, because in the UK, at least for T-mob uk, they want you on a long contract paying a high amount.
I had the misfortune to upgrade when I was due to, and ended up with a plan higher than what i wanted (but a work around made it the price i wanted to pay) and paying around £70 for the Bold. Where as now, I could get the plan im on for cheaper and the bold free. (typical).

T-mob (because ive never used O2, vodafone or orange) prefer to give away £200 worth of credit and a free phone for £35 a month, every month for 18 months.
They care about a steady income. some phones you have to pay something, like the cheapest plan (flext 30) on a nokia n96 you have to pay about £166 for it, but that decreases the further up the price plan scale and is free from about £40/month plan.

I think the 8900 was prettier because its slightly slimmer, whereas the bold is slightly wider. but i decided full features is what i want, and i rarely take pics anyway so the less MP camera on the bold will be fine.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:31 AM   #10
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I have a Bold and use it in NYC. The service is poor. I use about 90-120 minutes of cell time a day and have at least 4-10 dropped calls. That doesn't include the "Call Failed" while trying to place a call. Numerous threads on this and other forums about the poor 3G service especially in NYC.

If you're going to be moving, I'd say you're better off sticking it out with T-Mobile. If the money is really burning a hole in your pocket, get a Bold unlocked on ebay.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #11
laur419
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for the replies!

Actually, after watching a side by side comparison of the Bold and the 8900 (video posted on Tmonews-believe it was from Crackberry.com) I can see they're really similar. I really just like look of the Bold more-- the nice flat wide screen. It's a silly reason. And I do, also, like the idea of 3G capability, even if it's not working well in NYC.

So here's the three scenarios I forsee:

- I keep TMobile and get the 8900 despite my utter distaste for the Curve I have. Use UMA while abroad and therefore don't lose minutes. Would take my current UK pay as you go and get a plan there, where the Bold is actually a bit cheaper and available on most networks.

-I get the Bold and go to AT&T and if I move, it is what it is.

-I get the Curve and don't move, and then will be super pissed! :-p

One more thought: What if I'm with AT&T and roaming on another network that supports UMA? Does the Bold itself support UMA?
Old 03-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #12
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by laur419 View Post
Thanks for the replies!

Actually, after watching a side by side comparison of the Bold and the 8900 (video posted on Tmonews-believe it was from Crackberry.com) I can see they're really similar. I really just like look of the Bold more-- the nice flat wide screen. It's a silly reason. And I do, also, like the idea of 3G capability, even if it's not working well in NYC.

So here's the three scenarios I forsee:

- I keep TMobile and get the 8900 despite my utter distaste for the Curve I have. Use UMA while abroad and therefore don't lose minutes. Would take my current UK pay as you go and get a plan there, where the Bold is actually a bit cheaper and available on most networks.

-I get the Bold and go to AT&T and if I move, it is what it is.

-I get the Curve and don't move, and then will be super pissed! :-p

One more thought: What if I'm with AT&T and roaming on another network that supports UMA? Does the Bold itself support UMA?
The Bold does not support UMA at all. The network makes no difference.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #13
laur419
Thumbs Must Hurt

One more thing on top of my last one more thing:

AT&T sim card used in old unlocked T-Mobile Blackberry Curve... could this be an UMA possibility?
Old 03-18-2009, 07:04 PM   #14
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: at&t

AT&T does not support UMA (wifi based calls), and the Bold does not support T-Mobile UMA.

The only option for this is a T-Mobile BlackBerry on T-Mobile, any other variation involving AT&T or an AT&T BlackBerry will not work.

So, to muddy the water a little, AT&T is looking at releasing a MicroCell unit, which hooks into your network, and routes your calls through your ISP. The difference in this setup is the price for the MicroCell unit (price not available yet). There is also no confirmed date of availability.

Last edited by Shaun; 03-18-2009 at 07:05 PM..
Old 03-18-2009, 08:14 PM   #15
E Double

Carrier: T-Mobile

Do like I did. Buy an unlocked Bold and use it on T-mo. While I wouldn't mind 3g and simultaneous data and voice, if its anywhere as dodgy on the bold as it is on my friend's iphone (both of us live in philadelphia) I'll save my $57 a month (T-mo loyalty plan +unlimited text + bb=$93, All you can eat ATT voice, data and text is $150) and pay another bill or even better, put it in a savings account. The amount you save on the phone when you get yoked into a 2 year contract isn't nearly enough for me to do it anymore. This way, I have the phone I want, with no contract and the freedom to choose to switch to ATT at anytime if t-mo shows its behind (which I doubt, but you never know.) Not having insurance isn't an issue either, as I invest the $7 a month in the same savings account I put the money I save by sticking with t-mo. This may be too much for you to be bothered with, but as a person who had insurance for some 5 years (at $5/month=over $300) only to have the insurer raise my deductible to $90 from $25 three weeks before my pearl died-I'll take my chances. you should too. Good luck. Oh yes, and as for the UMA it won't work with the bold, but you said you've been with t-mo for 2 years; You're eligible for the loyalty plan ($49 voice) at 22 months, so unless you have no coverage in your house you won't need it. Just my 2 drachma, good luck whatever you do!
D

Last edited by E Double; 03-18-2009 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: forgot to mention something
Old 03-18-2009, 10:35 PM   #16
laur419
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for that! Yeah, UMA will be a big deal for me if I move... so maybe I'm best with the Curve II (crying a little on the inside as I say it! haha)
Closed Thread