BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 07:18 AM   #1
griffmaster

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone UK
Default BPS - 2 of 8 users can't send mail (installed wrong?)

Please Login to Remove!

Not sure if this is the right place to post this message, as my issue is with BPS, and not BES. Here are the details of my system

MS Small Business Server 2003 SP2
Exchange Server 2003 SP2 (6.5.7654.12 on MS SBS 2003)
Blackberry Manager 4.1.4.17
All phones are Blackberry 8900 on Vodafone UK

I am looking for some advice and expertise of you guys, as my first BES/BPS experience is turning into a nightmare.

First the BPS was installed into the Admin account (my fault), and 2 users were created A and B. Obviously this did not work, so deleted users, and also manually removed them from the SQL database using the details from blackberry website. Deleted the BESAdmin user I created within Active Directory for access to mailboxes.

Doing things right this time, I first created the new user BPSAdmin, and set all the permissions for the user, according the video guide on Blackberry website. I then installed BPS under the BPSAdmin user, no problem. I then added user C and D, and activated them, everything worked perfect, email in and out and contacts all syncxxx8217;d. I them added users E, F, G, and H. Again no worries everything is working great.

Finally I performed a handset wipe of User A and Bxxx8217;s BB 8900s. I then created user A and B with the BPS and activated handsets on User A and B, no problems. But now I have discovered that these users (A and B) cannot send emails. They get a xxx8220;Sent using desktop secure. Desktop unable to submitxxx8221; error. They can receive email.

All other users (C xxx8211; H) can send and receive email.

User A and B are both the company directors so I assumed they might have Power Users accounts on SBS 2003. Support said it could be a xxx8216;Send Asxxx8217; permission issue (BB KB02276)

But looking into the details, all users appear to be Domain Users, no-one appears to be an xxx8216;Adminxxx8217;, so I am running out of ideas and getting very frustrated. I think that the BPS software has xxx8216;rememberedxxx8217; that I previously tried to setup User A and B, and this is the problem. Am I just talking garbage?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Griffmaster

Last edited by griffmaster; 09-15-2009 at 07:22 AM..
Old 09-15-2009, 08:10 AM   #2
-EOS-
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: VZW

Does anything sync for those 2 users?
Old 09-15-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
griffmaster

For the 2 'problem' users, emails, calendar and contacts all come sync'd during enterprise activation, incoming emails, calendar and contacts sync, will need to check if they sync from blackberry to server.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
DavidAdams
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: NotYe
Carrier: O2

Ok, everything is fine except they can't send email?

Does the BPSAdmin have the appropriate access rights to their mail file, and not the BESAdmin that you initially used?
Old 09-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #5
griffmaster

Well Vodafone have asked me to use the ADAM tool and the 'dsacls' command, but not getting anywhere as command wont run successfully.

I have deleted the BESAdmin user, so I assumed the rights for those mailboxes would be removed? If you could tell me where to go to check that those 2 mailboxes have permissions for the new (and working) BPSAdmin user.

I am concerned that I am going to mess up the 6 fully working Blackberries, if I start messing around assigning the wrong permissions.

Somehow, I just have a feeling its something to do with the old BESAdmin, when I first (incorrectly) installed BPS in the Administrator account and not the separate BPSAdmin account as it is now.

Just noticed that the even though I removed the old BESAdmin user, the BESAdmin mailbox is still in Exchange with a red x (so its obviously disconnected and not in use), not sure if this could be causing the problem?

Last edited by griffmaster; 09-15-2009 at 10:36 AM..
Old 09-15-2009, 11:43 AM   #6
-EOS-
Thumbs Must Hurt

Right-Click on the user in AD and choose properites.
Under the security tab, is the BPSAdmin user listed, and if so, what permissions does it have to the two users in question?
Old 09-15-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
griffmaster

In AD, under mycompany.local, I click Users and I see BPSAdmin listed, User A and B are not listed here.

User A and B are listed in AD under MyBusiness > Users > companyname. I selected Properties and Security of User A (then later B), the user BPSAdmin was not present under Security, so I presume I need to add BPSAdmin and also set the 'send As' permission.

Is this me or do I need to do more configuration with permissions etc?

Note: User C - H, are also listed in AD under MyBusiness > Users > companyname. I selected Properties and Security of each user, the user BPSAdmin was present, which is obviously why they are working.

Last edited by griffmaster; 09-15-2009 at 12:37 PM..
Old 09-17-2009, 07:25 AM   #8
-EOS-
Thumbs Must Hurt

And User A & B aren't members of a protected group?

Give this a read.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:53 AM   #9
griffmaster

Thanks for everyone's help. By adding (via AD) BPSAdmin with 'send as' permission to User A and B it worked. A & B are not special so i have no ideal why the permission didn't get applied before.

Everything was working great until we lost power yesterday for 4 hours. Now the Blackberry software is running but not forwarding any emails to any user.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:51 PM   #10
nobody7290
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany

Regarding the permissions, I found this page helpful:
https://www.blackberry.com/blackberr...eo/sendAs.html
( but, it is working anyway now)

Regarding your poweroutage:
stop all blackberry services, then, start them in the following order:
BlackBerry Router
BlackBerry Dispatcher
BlackBerry Controller
all other BlackBerry Enterprise Server services

Does is work then ?

If during the startup the microsoft exchange server starts too late, the blackberry server might not be able to connect to the exchange server when it is ready
Old 09-20-2009, 04:21 PM   #11
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffmaster View Post
Thanks for everyone's help. By adding (via AD) BPSAdmin with 'send as' permission to User A and B it worked. A & B are not special so i have no ideal why the permission didn't get applied before.

Everything was working great until we lost power yesterday for 4 hours. Now the Blackberry software is running but not forwarding any emails to any user.
reboot the BES
Closed Thread