BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 08:05 AM   #1
bostonnerd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: z10
Carrier: AT&T
Default Any BB and iPhone owners out there?

Please Login to Remove!

Having owned an iPod Touch since they came out I'm seriously thinking of buying an iPhone to use along with my BB 8820. As I'm extremely BB focused and receive work emails (BES) 24x7, I'm wondering about the logistics of carrying two devices where one is purely work and one is for "fun". Anyone doing this regularly? As I read work emails nights, weekends, and vacations, I can't just ditch the BB during those periods (yeah I need a life).

I don't ever see the iPhone replacing my BB even with the upcoming Activesync Exchange support (although we probably will allow Exchange attach in the future).

I do not want this to turn into a BB vs iPhone discussion, as I already understand the pros and cons of both quite well. I'm just curious if I will get my $500 worth of "fun" out of the iPhone while I'm still "tethered" to my BB for most of my waking hours .
Thoughts??
Old 05-04-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
kalinka
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT and verizon

I dont have a bb and and iphone but i do have multiple phones and will soon have two bbs as I have two lines that have different functions. Carrying two devices is a big pain the butt. I would only like that if i had a sim card and could switch back and forth depending on what I was needing to do but I found carrying two gets very old very fast. Most of the time I can leave the second device at home so it's not so bad but I abhor the days that i need to bring them both along.
One of the things that I like about my bb is that it allows me to travel light, i can leave the lap top home as i can access everything i need now. It has simplified and streamlined my life. Less is more for me.

Kalinka
Old 05-04-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
olly666

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonnerd View Post
Having owned an iPod Touch since they came out I'm seriously thinking of buying an iPhone to use along with my BB 8820. As I'm extremely BB focused and receive work emails (BES) 24x7, I'm wondering about the logistics of carrying two devices where one is purely work and one is for "fun". Anyone doing this regularly? As I read work emails nights, weekends, and vacations, I can't just ditch the BB during those periods (yeah I need a life).

I don't ever see the iPhone replacing my BB even with the upcoming Activesync Exchange support (although we probably will allow Exchange attach in the future).

I do not want this to turn into a BB vs iPhone discussion, as I already understand the pros and cons of both quite well. I'm just curious if I will get my $500 worth of "fun" out of the iPhone while I'm still "tethered" to my BB for most of my waking hours .
Thoughts??
I can think of a million ways to have fun with $500, none of them involve an iPhone. I can appreciate we all have our own tastes though so I'll humor you... Until recently I was walking around with an HTC TyTN and a BlackBerry Curve in my pocket. For some people it works, for some it doesn't. Depends on your lifestyle, and the size of your pockets. I know plently of people that have a business phone and personal phone, so it's not "weird". For me personally it just stopped making sense. You need to really ask yourself if you need two phones...
Old 05-05-2008, 12:40 AM   #4
legacyb4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell Mobility

I was packing a Touch and Samsung a920 but finally flipped the phone to a new Curve 8330. As the iPhone is still "sometime this year", I got sick of waiting and got the Curve. I'd have to say that while the Curve feeds my wireless/messaging addiction, it's hard to replace the pleasure I get out of using my Touch. In particular, since I'm Mac-based for my personal stuff, it's hard to beat the iTunes/iPod combo for managing media content.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:43 AM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Our illustrious forum owner sports a BB 8800 and an iPhone. The iPhone isn't a bad device. It just doesn't do everything a BB does and the BB doesn't do some things as well as the iPhone does.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:58 AM   #6
bostonnerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Our illustrious forum owner sports a BB 8800 and an iPhone. The iPhone isn't a bad device. It just doesn't do everything a BB does and the BB doesn't do some things as well as the iPhone does.
Thanks John (et al). I'm still undecided, but I'm going to wait to see how the 9000 shakes out. Luckily my AT&T corporate plan allows almost unlimited handset purchases without a waiting period so I'll let the first day adapters post some feedback on it and then probably get that and stick with the Touch.

BTW....what aircraft are you Type Rated on?
Old 05-05-2008, 10:13 AM   #7
Frank Castle
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: PM Me!
Carrier: VZW

Currently I'm carrying a 8310 (work) and a Iphone (work, beta, fun) and to me the iphone is a little too geeky attached to my belt. It's nice to have when I'm out and about as it's a lady MAGNET but I always reach for the curve when I want to get some real texting / work done.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:24 AM   #8
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

i dont carry both, i retired my BB last year. Not sure i would really want to carry both, they both are great devices and it just depends on your needs.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:30 AM   #9
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Quote:
BTW....what aircraft are you Type Rated on?
King Air 350 (no longer operating)
Gulfstream G100/Astra
Gulfstream G200/Galaxy
Old 05-05-2008, 10:54 AM   #10
bostonnerd

Nice.....when are you getting your G650
Old 05-05-2008, 10:54 AM   #11
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

If you already have the ipod touch and still want to carry your BB, then why spend the $500 on the iphone. The touch is the iphone without the phone.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:00 AM   #12
bostonnerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
If you already have the ipod touch and still want to carry your BB, then why spend the $500 on the iphone. The touch is the iphone without the phone.
Because WIFI is nowhere near as pervasive enough to use the wireless applications regularly other then @ home. I'm becoming less and less enthused about potentially carrying around two devices but wanted some input from others that did indeed do this. As I'm on the BB constantly I see no reason to completely change platforms.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:50 AM   #13
quillhill

Model: Torch
Carrier: at&t

I carried both for about a week when I first got my iPhone in February. Now I switch back and forth. I find the iPhone to be advantageous for weekends when I want to get away from e-mail. So, I use the Curve on week days, the iPhone on weekends. Carrying two devices is a little too much for me, too.

I agree, if you're happy with your iPod/BB combo, might as well stick with that for now. I have an iPod as well and that goes wherever I go (most of the time) regardless of what phone I have on me.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:02 PM   #14
penpower
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: New AT&T

If the new 3g iphone ever priced well with ATT, I might consider getting an iphone along with my BB 9000 (if att offers, can't wait). Like John said, they are both good at what they are. As I already carry two phones (BB and regular camera phone), I don't mind carrying a phone that offers better multimedia features, so I could leave my tiny mp3 player and camera phone at home. No phone is truly a replacement of any two phones in the market, many serves its customer better in particular area than others.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:11 PM   #15
dhendriksen

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I use both, but never at the same time. I have a 16 gig iPhone that I use on the weekends, and I put my blackberry away until Monday. Sometimes I use my iPhone during the week, but I am not nearly as productive without my synced notes and to do list. Carrying two devices is a huge pain, but you cant beat the web browsing of the iPhone. I still receive my email on my iPhone as well, so I am not completely out of contact. I just move my T-Mobile sim card between the Curve and the iPhone, but only carry both if I am going on an Airplane and want to watch a movie, or read a book on the iPhone.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:43 PM   #16
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: 2434CB8D

Quote:

Thoughts??
You could go with both, but in my experience what will likely happen is you will pick one of the two, and just stop using the loser. I had a Mac and a PC for the same reasons as you. The Mac ended up winning. I also said I'd never switch to the iPhone. Said here on these very same forums much the way you are now. And I checked it out and I was actually not impressed at all. I bought a regular iPod and started to use that more and more against my Zune. When I totally switched to the Mac, the BB felt odd. Even Exchange felt odd. Within a week, I was calling AT&T to shut down my beloved BlackBerry.

The fact that you want both says something to me. You like your BB but find something compelling enough about the iPhone. Pretty soon you'll find ways to replace functions you depend on the BB for with the iPhone. It goes like that. Pretty soon, you're explaining to a forum full of people why you switched from one to the other as if asking for permission for what feels like betrayal.

If this is how you wish to proceed along the path, go for it. Worse case is, you find yourself selling the iPhone cause you don't like it. It will hold some value, so it's like it's really $500. It's whatever the difference is.

-Alex Alexzander
Old 05-05-2008, 03:31 PM   #17
wunderbar

Model: 9630
Carrier: Telus

I have 2 devices, an 8830 for work and an HTC touch as my pirmary personal phone. I hate carrying two with me, and only do it if I absolutely have to. Usually for me if I'm not at home, I'm not going to be wanting/willing to go into work anyway, so the blackberry stays at home when I go out.

And really, I normally carry my iPod(80GB classic) and HTC touch with me, and I have my Nintendo DS with me about 1/3 of the time as well. I have enough devices where the work device doesn't make the cut.
Blackberry 9630
WES 2008 Alumni
Old 05-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #18
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: 2434CB8D

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
I have 2 devices, an 8830 for work and an HTC touch as my pirmary personal phone. I hate carrying two with me, and only do it if I absolutely have to. Usually for me if I'm not at home, I'm not going to be wanting/willing to go into work anyway, so the blackberry stays at home when I go out.

And really, I normally carry my iPod(80GB classic) and HTC touch with me, and I have my Nintendo DS with me about 1/3 of the time as well. I have enough devices where the work device doesn't make the cut.
Well, I carry a laptop case around. In that case I carry a kindle, a small camera, and a MacBook. I own a DS, but rarely play it. I have a PSP which hasn't been touched in quite a while. I should just sell it.

Since people get free or subsidized BlackBerries from their providers, is there any market for a used 8800 and 8310? I have 3 different Zunes lying around too. I should have a garage sale really.

-Alex Alexzander
Old 05-06-2008, 11:34 AM   #19
quillhill

Model: Torch
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Alexzander View Post
Well, I carry a laptop case around. In that case I carry a kindle, a small camera, and a MacBook. I own a DS, but rarely play it. I have a PSP which hasn't been touched in quite a while. I should just sell it.

Since people get free or subsidized BlackBerries from their providers, is there any market for a used 8800 and 8310? I have 3 different Zunes lying around too. I should have a garage sale really.

-Alex Alexzander
There might be a market for your Zune (I've been looking for one and ebay isn't exactly flooded with them) ... or any of those devices. I've had good luck off loading excess electronics on ebay -- I still have no clue why I bought a Shuffle, but I sold it on ebay for a bit more than I actually paid for it.

I keep my stuff to a minimum, too, heck I don't even carry my laptop around unless I plan on using it for an interview. I also have a small point-n-shoot digital camera in there along with the iPod and a Sony digital voice recorder for when I'm feeling like an uber-lazy journalist. Never did get a DS or PSP for fear they would not be touched. Given the fact my 360 hasn't been turned on in almost a year, those were good decisions on my part.

People are always looking for new toys. Like BlackBerries. Or the iPhone. Heh.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:11 PM   #20
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Thanks John (et al). I'm still undecided, but I'm going to wait to see how the 9000 shakes out. Luckily my AT&T corporate plan allows almost unlimited handset purchases without a waiting period so I'll let the first day adapters post some feedback on it and then probably get that and stick with the Touch.
In my humble opinion, you already have most of the BEST parts of an iPhone with your iPod Touch. Its multimedia features are best-in-class, the screen is superb, etc. Why do you want the iPhone? Most reports are that the phone part of the iPhone is mediocre at best, this is born out by colleagues of mine, who often find themselves with "no reception" when my Curve (also on AT&T) is working just fine - and the audio quality of the phone is reported to be marginal too. The iPhone does many things wonderfully - being a phone isn't one of them. I also agree with those who say carrying two devices is a PITA. I first and foremost want a PHONE and EMAIL. The multimedia and web browsing on the Curve aren't iPhone class, but they're "good enough" to keep me from carrying an iPod or other device. Convergence - less devices, not more!
Closed Thread