Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 08:45 PM   #21
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Please Login to Remove!

I wouldn't consider myself a diehard Apple fan, but when my Dell laptop - sad piece of machinery that it was - kicked the bucket back in January I was quick to pony up the money to buy a Macbook. I was ready to move onto a computer with a stable OS, and yes, I suppose some of the Macbook's bells and whistles drew me in, too. Since purchasing I haven't had a single issue, contrary to the zillions of problems that I had with my Dell laptop. (Granted, some of them were probably easily fixed, but I couldn't afford to send my computer away when I needed it for school pretty much year-round.) I haven't looked back or even longed for a PC and have no regrets about having the Mac... aside from no version of Desktop Manager for Macs

I do also enjoy Apple's products. I will admit that yes, they do look nice, but I buy them for the tech aspects and that they have the power to get done what I need to get done. I can remember using slower-than-molasses old school Macintoshes in my schools' computer labs and hating their guts, but Apple has really changed their game around. My family has always been extremely technology oriented (seriously, when I was 8 I used to disassemble computers with one of my uncles) and Apple appeals to me in that regard. Though I don't want the iPhone, I can appreciate what it stands for and the amount of work that was put into creating it, and I'm sure that most other people can as well. As Dawg said, there's people who are borderline rabid over most any piece of technology, so to each their own. I'm sure there will be a fair number of people in line waiting for the Bold when it's released for each carrier. The Bold probably just won't seem like as big of a deal because of how spread out it will be, as opposed to the iPhone with its sole carrier (AT&T) and sole provider (Apple).
Old 06-08-2008, 09:43 PM   #22
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess View Post
Sigh, let me first start off by saying, please.. oh please start using proper/full sentences. That was INCREDIBLY difficult to read.

Second off, I suppose you can call me a mac follower by your standards, I only use mac, and nothing else. I am currently typing this on a MacBook Air, funny thing is, I am the CEO of the company that owns BBF and its sister sites, so there goes one of your theories.

You mention that people change what they desire to suit an apple product. Absolutely not. What you don't seem to realize is that everything that Apple releases is on the cutting edge from the tech. aspect. To purchase an apple product when its first released doesn't put you in the apple fan category, it puts you in the tech fan category.

As stated previously apple is the first to get rid of the floppy, as well as the first to get rid of the dvd drive. Good riddance. With flash media being as inexpensive as it is presently, I highly doubt that cd media will stick around for long, seeing how its not very durable.

Now, as for your blind consumerism comment.. This is my favorite part:

By posting that with everything else you just posted, you quite simply showed that you are indeed the blind consumer. You do not even know the products your are bashing, have you ever used OSX? or better yet OSX with a machine that was built for it? The extra money spent on a product that is perfect for its purpose, is well worth it considering the time that could of been spent "screwing around" to make a less perfect product work.

I have been using mac's for the past 8 years or so. A Powerbook G4 being the first, I have owned ipods, imacs, mac pros, etc. I presently own a 24" Imac, a 15" Macbook Pro, a Macbook AIR, an iphone and a pair of apple TV's.. couldn't be happier with the products, and there is something different about typing on a machine that feels sturdier then a machine 5x its thickness.

Remember, Apple can only release products with components that are presently available, meaning no matter what your limited, however, the leading components are jammed into a very aesthetically pleaseing package when released, and please do not forget it's Apple other companies are getting ideas from and copying, not the other way around, you don't see apple trying to blatently rip off other products just to bring competition to a certain sector.

1) sorry about the run on sentences, i was writing the reply in a rush combined with the fact that i was heated from argonNJ's reply to my post. him and i get into squabbles that stem back to last summer. i am an educated person with a degree in mechanical engineering degree. i am perfectly capable of writing full complete sentences. sorry it was unbearable for you to read. i do want to note that you also did the same thing as i did in your response towards the end.

2) i appreciate your personal "exception" to one of my points, but that most certainly was not a theory of mine. it was rather what i have experienced at the company/division that i work for and with friends who are execs, etc. i am glad that the macbook works for you and suits your needs.

3) as far as people changing their desires to meet a product, i see that everyday but i see it most with apple products. i think they have a brilliant marketing department which can, for example, take a 1GB mp3 player without a screen and sell it for $80. i think it's great they can do that, but my point was that while people have every right to purchase whatever they want, i think some of apple's fans are pathetic. maybe i am being harsh, but during my last year at college i definitely saw plenty of that going around.

4) when i said that i purchased the ipod, i was not contradicting myself at all. in fact, i was trying to prove one of my points. itunes is locked down to apple devices ONLY, and since all of my music was in iTunes (26GB+) it would be an enormous headache and months and months to re-organize everything. i pretty much had to buy an ipod at that point, and while i don't regret the decision, i am quick to note there are better mp3 players out there that are cheaper and offer MORE features and that are better built. the microsoft zune has better build quality than the ipod, and that's not even debatable at all.

5) i have used all of the operating systems. it wasn't that long ago that i graduated college and while our campus was a "pc" campus, we had 2 mac labs. they were great for photoshop and digital media for posters etc, but when it came time to do my work, they were a pain. many word and excel files sent from computers running windows would arrive with the formatting messed up and it was just an overall pain to use. many matlab m.files + associated programs or solidworks CAD files would not work at all. even after using windows XP on the apple OS, it still had issues. for the kinds of things i use, OSX does not cut it. i at least need windows, but linux could cut it a guess. if i was only doing web browsing, documents, spreadsheets, etc then a mac would be fine for me i guess. but for anyone who does serious computing, they will easily realize that apple doesn't cut it.

i am glad that apple's products suit you well, it sure seems like you have them for all of your electronic needs. i do not deny that apple does not make quality products, but i feel i can get the bigger bang for my buck by not going with apple (especially since they don't suit my needs). the actual original intent of my post towards earlier part of this thread was to criticize the apple fan-boy'ism which is more rampant than with any other manufacturer. more than blackberry, more than sony, more than microsoft...more than any other thing i know of (except for full-blown fads). the initial example that i used was the success of the ipod shuffle and the fact that it doesn't have a screen, and somehow "no screen" turned into a hot-selling feature.
i can see why you took the time out of your day as a CEO to reply to my post, as what i said most likely hit close to home. you own many apple products, but you most likely don't fall into the apple fan-boy'ism/blind consumerism category that i was talking about. you probably know what you are doing with computers, and your best option involved apple products. need not worry, my posts were most likely not directed at people like you.

ever since i got into an argument with an admin and i was unnecessarily "warned" for using a supposed offensive word, which is used by almost all people in this forum (the word "damn"), i have been cautious to get into any direct arguments with admins. i see that you are the founder of the BBF, and i think that is great that you created a forum like this for people to spread their ideas and opinions on blackberry topics (and topics such as what is being discussed in this thread). we may have disagreeing opinions on this thread topic, and that's fine. agree to disagree. if you want to talk with me further about anything feel free to PM me. i just wanted a chance to speak my opinion on your reply, as you did on my reply.

have a good night,

-JGBerry
Old 06-08-2008, 09:48 PM   #23
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Default Request for Thread To Be Closed

the thread has clearly gone off topic, and i'm requesting for it to be closed before it becomes more of an "whatever" vs. apple thread.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:50 PM   #24
sh0n
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

iPhone = The sexy new plaything that does all the cool things you WANT.

Balckberry = reliable fat girl that does everything you NEED.

I just solve the problem by packing both handsets..well, thats not totally true. I sold my iPhone on Tuesday getting ready for the grand release of this week. I'm a fan boy, but of the whole tech nation, if you will. lol....
Old 06-09-2008, 03:50 AM   #25
Tom
Admin & Founder

Model: 9800
PIN: UnDisclosed
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBerry View Post
1) sorry about the run on sentences, i was writing the reply in a rush combined with the fact that i was heated from argonNJ's reply to my post. him and i get into squabbles that stem back to last summer. i am an educated person with a degree in mechanical engineering degree. i am perfectly capable of writing full complete sentences. sorry it was unbearable for you to read. i do want to note that you also did the same thing as i did in your response towards the end.

2) i appreciate your personal "exception" to one of my points, but that most certainly was not a theory of mine. it was rather what i have experienced at the company/division that i work for and with friends who are execs, etc. i am glad that the macbook works for you and suits your needs.

3) as far as people changing their desires to meet a product, i see that everyday but i see it most with apple products. i think they have a brilliant marketing department which can, for example, take a 1GB mp3 player without a screen and sell it for $80. i think it's great they can do that, but my point was that while people have every right to purchase whatever they want, i think some of apple's fans are pathetic. maybe i am being harsh, but during my last year at college i definitely saw plenty of that going around.

4) when i said that i purchased the ipod, i was not contradicting myself at all. in fact, i was trying to prove one of my points. itunes is locked down to apple devices ONLY, and since all of my music was in iTunes (26GB+) it would be an enormous headache and months and months to re-organize everything. i pretty much had to buy an ipod at that point, and while i don't regret the decision, i am quick to note there are better mp3 players out there that are cheaper and offer MORE features and that are better built. the microsoft zune has better build quality than the ipod, and that's not even debatable at all.

5) i have used all of the operating systems. it wasn't that long ago that i graduated college and while our campus was a "pc" campus, we had 2 mac labs. they were great for photoshop and digital media for posters etc, but when it came time to do my work, they were a pain. many word and excel files sent from computers running windows would arrive with the formatting messed up and it was just an overall pain to use. many matlab m.files + associated programs or solidworks CAD files would not work at all. even after using windows XP on the apple OS, it still had issues. for the kinds of things i use, OSX does not cut it. i at least need windows, but linux could cut it a guess. if i was only doing web browsing, documents, spreadsheets, etc then a mac would be fine for me i guess. but for anyone who does serious computing, they will easily realize that apple doesn't cut it.

i am glad that apple's products suit you well, it sure seems like you have them for all of your electronic needs. i do not deny that apple does not make quality products, but i feel i can get the bigger bang for my buck by not going with apple (especially since they don't suit my needs). the actual original intent of my post towards earlier part of this thread was to criticize the apple fan-boy'ism which is more rampant than with any other manufacturer. more than blackberry, more than sony, more than microsoft...more than any other thing i know of (except for full-blown fads). the initial example that i used was the success of the ipod shuffle and the fact that it doesn't have a screen, and somehow "no screen" turned into a hot-selling feature.
i can see why you took the time out of your day as a CEO to reply to my post, as what i said most likely hit close to home. you own many apple products, but you most likely don't fall into the apple fan-boy'ism/blind consumerism category that i was talking about. you probably know what you are doing with computers, and your best option involved apple products. need not worry, my posts were most likely not directed at people like you.

ever since i got into an argument with an admin and i was unnecessarily "warned" for using a supposed offensive word, which is used by almost all people in this forum (the word "damn"), i have been cautious to get into any direct arguments with admins. i see that you are the founder of the BBF, and i think that is great that you created a forum like this for people to spread their ideas and opinions on blackberry topics (and topics such as what is being discussed in this thread). we may have disagreeing opinions on this thread topic, and that's fine. agree to disagree. if you want to talk with me further about anything feel free to PM me. i just wanted a chance to speak my opinion on your reply, as you did on my reply.

have a good night,

-JGBerry

Woah. I am not a power hungry freak trying to get my next fix. This is a discussion, and you are providing your opinion, even if I am on the different side of the opinion, there is no need for you to apologize for the run on sentences, nor is there a need for you to be worried about getting warned or anything else.

Please, do speak your mind, don't let what is written under my name stop you from making your opinions.

Back ontopic.

Apple was successful for many reasons with its ipod shuffle, and two of the largest reasons is build quality and itunes support. As far as I see it, the fact that Itunes does not work with other mp3 players is part of Apple's overall product. You don't see many people put KIA engines into BMW's, do you? In terms of fanboy consumerism, you are totally right, I don't deny that its present, my point is that its a much smaller margin of people then you make it out to be.

I am also trying to show you that Apple is not only about clever marketing, I see it present as smart marketing, where they show the functions of a product extremely well, with only the product being focused on. It's about releasing a product that works well for its given purposes.

I have never used a PC that can organize my 16,000+ pictures, use the functions of the internet, and edit video as well as my mac. Putting mac in my category of machines that serve my purpose, if mac's product line up does NOT serve yours.. why do you dare to comment about a brand that has nothing to do with you?

It's like me going out and complaining about a manufacturer of tampons, which I have absolutely no reason to, or use for.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:50 AM   #26
Tom
Admin & Founder

Model: 9800
PIN: UnDisclosed
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0n View Post

I just solve the problem by packing both handsets..well, thats not totally true. I sold my iPhone on Tuesday getting ready for the grand release of this week. I'm a fan boy, but of the whole tech nation, if you will. lol....
Haha, I pack both as well.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:08 AM   #27
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:

This is my new favorite post of the month
Old 06-09-2008, 07:34 AM   #28
customshopkv1
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550

Quote:

LMAO. I like that.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:45 AM   #29
sh0n
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

lol ty ty ty. Amazing what apple has done to the market today. Cant wait to see how other companies respond. Not because its some new magical "innovative" device, but because they have packed it all in to $199. Today wasnt about flashy big screens, or features, but of economics. Bold move... No pun intended.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:48 PM   #30
kilofox
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Big Red

Quote:
but for anyone who does serious computing, they will easily realize that apple doesn't cut it.
Define serious computing. I have seen people use Photoshop and Final Cut Pro that would dwarf any skills you or I have. Final Cut Pro requires some very heavy lifting at times. But if you dont have or need big time video editing then its a non issue.

I am a 50 year old air traffic controller. A mature man, well past college obviously. I get excited about Apple products. I used Windows for years and years and built my own computers. I think I have a pretty level head. What is wrong about getting excited about Apple? There most be something there that elicits the excitement beyond shear stupidity. Does Microsoft's innovations excite you?

I just picked up a bike with Dura-Ace components, the bike cost me over $3500. I could have spent far less and purchased a bike with Ultegra and the performance would have been pretty much the same. But I wanted Dura Ace. I dont feel like I spent my money unwisely... and I am enjoying my bike tremendously.

Joy... I havent "enjoyed" using a MS/PC since Windows 3.1 replaced DOS for me.

Quote:
i think some of apple's fans are pathetic. maybe i am being harsh, but during my last year at college i definitely saw plenty of that going around.
Someone in their 20's is a fan-boy of something??? Wow what a surprize!

I have to laugh at this.... anything you saw in college for the most part isnt indicative of mature adult behavior. Or has college really changed that much since I went? Dont you agree a 22 year old's value system isnt the same as 32, 42, 52 old's etc etc?

kilofoxtrot
Old 06-10-2008, 09:39 PM   #31
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilofox View Post
Define serious computing. I have seen people use Photoshop and Final Cut Pro that would dwarf any skills you or I have. Final Cut Pro requires some very heavy lifting at times. But if you dont have or need big time video editing then its a non issue.

I am a 50 year old air traffic controller. A mature man, well past college obviously. I get excited about Apple products. I used Windows for years and years and built my own computers. I think I have a pretty level head. What is wrong about getting excited about Apple? There most be something there that elicits the excitement beyond shear stupidity. Does Microsoft's innovations excite you?

I just picked up a bike with Dura-Ace components, the bike cost me over $3500. I could have spent far less and purchased a bike with Ultegra and the performance would have been pretty much the same. But I wanted Dura Ace. I dont feel like I spent my money unwisely... and I am enjoying my bike tremendously.

I have to laugh at this.... anything you saw in college for the most part isnt indicative of mature adult behavior. Or has college really changed that much since I went? Dont you agree a 22 year old's value system isnt the same as 32, 42, 52 old's etc etc?
i appreciate your input and provided anecdotes to make your point. as i said in a previous post, the thread has gone off topic which is why i refuse to post replies in the thread. see your inbox for a PM from me.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:15 AM   #32
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Quote:
which is why i refuse to post replies in the thread.
Ahhhhh, you just did...

I guess Vista is serious computing.... LOLOLOLOLOL

Kris
Old 06-11-2008, 09:08 AM   #33
Rolo1971
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilofox View Post

Very well said Kilofox! I agree 100%....
Old 06-11-2008, 09:16 AM   #34
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

[QUOTE=kilofox;965488]

[\QUOTE]

nice

What kind of bike
Old 06-11-2008, 09:24 AM   #35
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

I laid out 4000 for my last bike
Old 06-11-2008, 09:33 AM   #36
teamcrn