BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 03:20 AM   #1
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Angry 8320 stuck in boot up loop - is it dead?

Please Login to Remove!

I don't know what to do. I'm overseas and my phone had been working fine on available wifi connections and a portable router in my hotel room for 2 days. Cell radio turned off, just wifi and only when I was specifically turning it on. Otherwise the phone was turned off. All of a sudden it's stuck in a rebooting loop.

After it started looping, I pulled the battery and left it out for several minutes. The loop is 7 seconds of blank screen, 15 seconds of hourglass, blank screen and red light for 5 seconds, blank screen and light for 2 seconds, back to 15 seconds of hourglass.

So, I could maybe try to wipe the OS using jl commander. But if I do that, can they still identify that this is the phone they sold me? i.e. same imei. Obviously the label is there, but can they identify it from the electronics if I tried wiping the OS? I just got the unlock code right before this trip so I'm worried that they'll think it's a different phone that I'm trying to pass off as my phone.

I'm kind of resigned to just waiting until I get back but want to try an OS wipe if that won't cause any warranty issues.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:44 AM   #2
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Won't change your IEMI or your unlocked status, go for the reload.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:02 AM   #3
monkeypaw

Thanks. I'm giving it a shot through the Desktop Manager first. Found this old thread that says to time the opening of the application loader. http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-...tml#post726937

I highlighted it, then kept hitting return or double clicking while the usb connect tone kept saying connected then disconnected. It kept saying not supported over Bluetooth so connect the device. At some point it caught the device connected, then proceeded to the next step where I clicked all the stuff to load. Looks like the old program let you get far along before having to connect the device. Now it doesn't let anything happen before it is connected. But once it connected long enough to click through, the looping stopped so I was able to continue further.

So it's hopefully loading now. I'll lose all the stuff since my last backup, but if it works I can live with that.

I can't imagine how I'd get by without forums like this.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:01 AM   #4
monkeypaw

Well I think I bricked it now. It wouldn't get past the "Waiting to initialize" point since the phone did it's rebooting thing and never finished initializing. I tried again and same thing. So then entered 10 wrong passwords so it would clear everything first. That almost instantly resulted in it going dead. Now when I connect, the computer doesn't even realize that something is attached. Won't even identify the USB with and unknown pin. The phone will have a solid red light for a bit, then switches to 4 quick flashes of red.

There's not even an attempted boot now. The screen never wakes up, just the red light.

To top it off, the link to jl_cmdr is not downloading for me. May be because I'm out of the country.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:56 AM   #5
LolaPagoda
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Telus

I am encountering a very similar problem. I have an 8300. It started giving me the App Error 400 this morning. I have tried to re-load the OS and get stuck. I am getting the following message (no idea how to post the screenshot) - Unable to re-connect to the device during a multi-stage load operation. Using DM 4.3. If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated. My first post so go easy on me
Old 11-12-2007, 10:59 AM   #6
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Try the steps here if you haven't already:

What to do next if Jl Cmder will not connect and wipe - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 11-12-2007, 11:22 AM   #7
LolaPagoda

Thanks Jeremy. I followed the steps and it is still stopping in the same place. Right after 'Reconnecting to JVM' has fnished I receive the error message. Any further ideas would be much appreciated.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:08 PM   #8
LolaPagoda

OK third time worked a charm. This time I put the battery back in and everything worked great. My fault for not reading the directions properly the first time.
Closed Thread