Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 08:09 PM   #1
bossfan
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular
Default Outlook sync question

Please Login to Remove!

On my BB, there's a folder that contains Inbox, Saved Items, Deleted Items, and Sent Items. They correspond exactly to the Outlook folders on my desktop, even down to the Saved Items subfolders. Every item that I've saved on my desktop since getting the BB appears in the correct subfolder of the BB, and the Sent folder also includes all of the items thgat I have sent from the desktop. However, the Inbox is always empty, even when there are new items on my desktop and on my Messages screen. Any thoughts as to why that is? And, if it's correctable, is there a way to set the Inbox folder as the default screen for messages? It would be more useful thatn the currecnt Messages screen, which displays every item that 've ever sent. And, speaking of which, if I delete sent items from my Messages screen, on my desktop they move from the Sent Items folder to the Deleted folder. Any way to prevent that?

Thanks.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:38 PM   #2
Knocka
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T Wireless

(1) I had a problem with my Inbox showing as empty as well. But mine had a wierd behavior. You will notice that when you highlight an item in the Messages screen, and click the trackwheel, and then select View Folder, it defaults to the folder in which the highlighted message resides. Mine was defaulting to a web cleint folder, usually Sent Items. I use an Exchange Server and BES and have no need for the web client, which I had enabled by mistake. When I browsed to the Inbox on my Exchange Mailbox, it showed empty, as did other folders. Of course, I knew messages were there, and they displayed ont he messages screen.

I simply deleted everything, and reactivated, and that solved the problem. I could not figure out any other way to get the Inbox to display messages.

(2) I do not believe that you can set the Inbox to be the default messages screen. I too find this very annoying. I am accustomed to looking at my Inbox, not at a list of all Inbox and Sent Items in a single list.

(3) The Delete thing is a major annoyance for me. I too would like to get things out of the messages screen, but cannot Delete them for the reasons you mention. I think you can slect Save, and then choose the option to Hide Filed Items (or something like that). That may work. I like to keep my Inbox tidy, and file things in my Personal Folder, and use Shift-Delete a lot. That keeps the Exchnage Mailbox smaller. But the BB will not delete a message from the Inbox unless it finds it in the Deleted Items folder (or a SubFolder of the Inbox). If an item is moved out of the Inbox to a folder to which the BB has no access, the BB does not delete it. I find this very annoying and cannot understand why the Inbox cannot be synchronized regardless of whtehr the BB "finds" the missing item in some other folder.

Chris.
Closed Thread