BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 12:13 PM   #1
jeostang
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7520
Default Can someone explain how Direct Connect is Transmitted?

Please Login to Remove!

This is they way I figured it works.

I hit the PTT button and talk, the data is sent to whichever cell tower that I'm close too. A sesson is created between me and the person I communicating with.

I though the data still has to travel to the tower, thought a T3 line to the central office and be routed to the cell of the person I'm talking to.

My manager is telling me that DC works from phone to phone, or from Phone to tower to phone.

How does it work?
Old 10-16-2006, 12:38 PM   #2
CletusJones

Model: 8320
PIN: 24427bba
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7100i/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103)

My understanding is that it goes from phone to phone or tower to phone.

Before there was nationwide DC you could only chirp people within a specific range.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:52 PM   #3
shaqinsactown
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Verizon

Agreed with cletusjones. Direct Connect does not at any way go through the BES
Old 10-16-2006, 03:01 PM   #4
jeostang

I understand that,

but if they really do work phone to phone, then why don't they work you your underground using Direct connect with the same users in the same space.

They reason why I'm bringing this up is becasue my dept got an email saying that a DS3 (T3) line went down for 8 min in the DC area. This disrupted all services including direct connect. Now if DC works from phone to phone or from phone to tower to phone, why would a downed T3 line cause the DC service to be out?
Old 10-16-2006, 03:19 PM   #5
greg2m

Model: 7250
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeostang
I understand that,

but if they really do work phone to phone, then why don't they work you your underground using Direct connect with the same users in the same space.

They reason why I'm bringing this up is becasue my dept got an email saying that a DS3 (T3) line went down for 8 min in the DC area. This disrupted all services including direct connect. Now if DC works from phone to phone or from phone to tower to phone, why would a downed T3 line cause the DC service to be out?
Because pPTT technology is actually a VoIP service. (voice over IP) so if a T3 line that links the PDSN (Packet Data Serving Node) of your home network failed, the the latter can't assign IP addresses. Thus NO data services will work for that a particular area or odd/even number (all depending on that home network setup). Now if other data services were working then the problem might have been datafilling errors or a failure in a scheduled maintenance that just happened to coincide with that T3 problem.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:19 PM   #6
greg2m

Model: 7250
Smile

Quote:
I understand that,

Because PTT technology is actually a VoIP service. (voice over IP) so if a T3 line that links the PDSN (Packet Data Serving Node) of your home network failed, then the latter can't assign IP addresses. Thus NO data services will work for that a particular area or odd/even number (all depending on that home network setup). Now if other data services were working then the problem might have been datafilling errors or a failure in a scheduled maintenance that just happened to coincide with that T3 problem.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:34 PM   #7
lhuff
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel

Direct Connect does not work phone to phone. It has to have a tower (or more) to work. Your phone hits the tower it is "on" which hits the other phone or uses phone lines to transfer the data to the tower the receiving phone is "on" and on to the other phone.

Direct Talk, included on some Nextel phones ONLY works phone to phone and while you have them in Direct Talk mode, Direct Connect and the phone won't work.

Direct Connect will only work underground if both phones can get to a tower.

Last edited by lhuff; 10-16-2006 at 03:37 PM..
Old 10-16-2006, 03:38 PM   #8
toddz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

I highly doubt that a tower is ever connected to a DS3 line. It is more than likely multiple DS1 lines or fiber whichever is easier to the location. The DS3 that went down was most likely inside a different facility.

As for DC not working, it was my understanding that limited communcation with a central system is still needed to locate all phones. After that all communication is passed onto the sub systems phone-phone, phone-tower-phone, or however that magic works.

toddz
Old 10-16-2006, 03:52 PM   #9
jeostang

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddz
I highly doubt that a tower is ever connected to a DS3 line. It is more than likely multiple DS1 lines or fiber whichever is easier to the location. The DS3 that went down was most likely inside a different facility.

As for DC not working, it was my understanding that limited communcation with a central system is still needed to locate all phones. After that all communication is passed onto the sub systems phone-phone, phone-tower-phone, or however that magic works.

toddz
I been googling trying to find out how it all works. It looks like a session needs to be created between the two phones at the central office. That email we got informing us about the DS3 line got my manager worried about this happening during an emergency. I called Nextel and their tech were not even clear on how it works. This the the best think I could find.

Howstuffworks "How does the "walkie-talkie" feature on a Nextel phone work?"

Last edited by jeostang; 10-16-2006 at 03:54 PM..
Old 10-16-2006, 04:42 PM   #10
sbaska

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:

How does it work?
magic!

Last edited by sbaska; 10-16-2006 at 04:52 PM..
Old 10-16-2006, 06:36 PM   #11
Jase88
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PlayB

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddz
I highly doubt that a tower is ever connected to a DS3 line. It is more than likely multiple DS1 lines or fiber whichever is easier to the location.
...or microwave, which still connects many towers throughout the world.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:53 PM   #12
balibe

Model: 7100i

Quote:
I been googling trying to find out how it all works. It looks like a session needs to be created between the two phones at the central office. That email we got informing us about the DS3 line got my manager worried about this happening during an emergency. I called Nextel and their tech were not even clear on how it works. This the the best think I could find.

Howstuffworks "How does the "walkie-talkie" feature on a Nextel phone work?"
Motorola makes the iDen Technology that Nextel uses. You can try search there. The 2-way direct connect does not go thru a landline or internet. iDen towers incorporate the 2-way into the same technology as the phone service.

Motorola/iDen

I live in Wash, DC. The day of 9-11 after the plane hit the Pentagon, they released all the workers in town. During this time, the cell towers were swamped and was very difficult to make an outgoing call but I had no issues making a 2-way at all to other Nextel users.

balibe@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars Episode 1)
"The ablilty to speak does not make you intelligent!"
Old 10-16-2006, 11:15 PM   #13
Naked Wife

Model: 8330
Carrier: SPRINT

Wirelessly posted (NakedBerry: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

Nextels IDEN (unlike Sprint and Verizon) does not use Voice over IP for its Push To Talk service.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:47 AM   #14
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Just wanted to jump into this thread and thank everyone for the entertainment provided here.
90% of the information in this thread is completely wrong. (and some of it is just outright absurd.) I get a kick out of watching the blind lead the blind.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:05 AM   #15
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Got to love the Wiki! THIS <-- from Wikipedia yeilds a better understanding of the iDEN-PTT technology.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:08 AM   #16
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

I have a Motorola iDEN technical document - 200+ pages - if anyone wants it. PM me.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:38 PM   #17
1badss
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

PTT for nextel work basically the same as a police/fire two-way system just on a larger scale and with the ability to connect to a single user instead of a broadcast system. it does not currently use landline or VOIP as stated above. it will in the near future move to a VOIP as Sprint anounced today that they will start releasing Qchat, buy qualcomm early 2008 to start replacing the IDEN network. this VOIP system has proven reliability with speeds to match IDEN with the ability to still communicate with the older IDEN and Sprint Ready-Linc systems.
Closed Thread