BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 12:35 AM   #1
tj_06_Z28

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default New Member with simple questions.

Please Login to Remove!

OK. I am thinking about getting a blackberry pearl because I like the way the phone looks. Right now I have a 5mb plan with att and I do not want to change.
The only thing I do online is check my email at Yahoo and search for things every now and then on google. I have heard so many things about bb plans and regular data plans.
All I want to know is can I still access my yahoo mail and google without getting a bb plan?

Also if it is possible will att know and charge me more for this?

Thanks In Advance
Old 11-29-2009, 12:51 AM   #2
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

I don't have AT&T but I'm pretty sure they won't allow you to have a BB without a data plan. Same with VZW.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:32 AM   #3
vas729
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: at&t

As of September 6th (give or take a day), at&t requires the smartphone data plan on any smartphone that you purchase. So plan on paying an additional $30 a month if you want a smartphone. If you don't want to pay for the data plan, you will have to stick with a regular phone to keep your current plan.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:12 AM   #4
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

Or buy your own phone and swap the SIM card into it. You'll likely need a 3rd party browser like Opera Mini or Bolt since you won't be able to use the BB browser with the BB data plan (BIS).
Old 11-29-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
twinglock40z
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: verizon

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix
Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

Or buy your own phone and swap the SIM card into it. You'll likely need a 3rd party browser like Opera Mini or Bolt since you won't be able to use the BB browser with the BB data plan (BIS).
Yes you can put your own phone on the network without a blackberry data plan by just switching sims but I caution you that you will be outrageously charged for any data transfer other than phone service. In other words texting will work but it we billed as data transfer. If you buy a new blackberry with a contract all the big carriers require you to have a data plan.

My suggestion is unless your going to utilize the smart phone for all it has, just stay with a decent regular cell phone. 30 bucks a month is a good bit to spend to just to be casually checking your email.

My girlfriend has an env 3 with a 9.99 data package. She checks her email, does some face booking and ebaying all the time with ease. And she has never even came close to going over her mb limit.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:04 AM   #6
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

You mention the Pearl. I know many people who started with the Pearl and because of the small size and keyboard type switched to a standard BB. As for the Data plan, the carriers have the ability to detect the type of phone utilized. I would bet at some point you will see all the phones that use data being billed for data usage.

Welcome to the Forums
Old 11-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #7
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Without a legit BlackBerry data plan a BlackBerry is not your best choice for a smart phone. I'd look into a Nokia if you're planning to stick with your old data plan. Maybe the E71/72 (QWERTY) or E55 (SureType - like the BlackBerry Pearl).
Old 11-29-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
tj_06_Z28

Carrier: ATT

Thanks for all the replies!

I would not purchase the phone from att, I would get it elsewhere. I currently have no contract with att and am receiving 18% off my bill due to my job. I get 1500 text msgs and 5mbs a month of data.
I like the pearl because of the size and since I only check my mail at yahoo, I thought I might could get by without paying the extra $30 a month.

Since I have a text plan and a date plan, do you think I would be charged date time for the text msgs? Also could I just go to yahoo mobile and send myself the link to check the mail from the phone?

Thanks Again
Old 11-29-2009, 02:31 PM   #9
twinglock40z
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: verizon

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_06_Z28
Thanks for all the replies!

I would not purchase the phone from att, I would get it elsewhere. I currently have no contract with att and am receiving 18% off my bill due to my job. I get 1500 text msgs and 5mbs a month of data.
I like the pearl because of the size and since I only check my mail at yahoo, I thought I might could get by without paying the extra $30 a month.

Since I have a text plan and a date plan, do you think I would be charged date time for the text msgs? Also could I just go to yahoo mobile and send myself the link to check the mail from the phone?

Thanks Again
I completely understand about you not getting the phone from the actual carrier and you jusy swapping sims. Yes it will work but ...

Yes regardless if you already have a cellphone data package you will be charged seperately for using ANY data through a blackberry. Doesn't matter if you already have any type of text messaging plan or data plan. All that is for cell phones and does not include smart phones and wespecially not a blackberry.
Closed Thread