Old 06-28-2007, 10:36 PM   #1
teemo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon
Default BES4.1.3/Exchange Install - SQL Server 2005 questions

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I've done a bit of searching here and on the internets at large, but haven't turned up much as of yet that I fully follow.

I'm on hold with RIMas I type this, but so far it looks like that will take forever (30 min at this point and haven't yet talked to someone that routes me to a tech) so maybe someone can answer a few simple questions faster, this forum seems pretty helpful.

In short I'm trying to install BES 4.1.3 with MDS on an SBS 2003 box that is running SQL Server 2005 ("for workgroups" I believe). We have someone else that deals with SQL for this server to manage multiple retail POS software connections. As such, I don't interact with SQL very often and while I assume what I'm trying to do is not terribly complex per se, it's still a bit of a mystery to me and I'm not sure of what pitfalls to watch out for either. I would ask the DB people, but they tend to be a little hard to get ahold of.

Basically once the BESAdmin account is created, permissions created per documentation, etc., do I need to create a database with SQL Server Management Studio or the BES install will do this for me? If the former, anything special I need to know about it or just create a "BESMgmt" database with the default options provided in SQL SMS? If the latter, will specifying Windows (Trusted) auth be fine or I need to use SQL auth?

Thanks in advance . . .
Old 06-29-2007, 07:32 AM   #2
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

The BES installer will create the database for you.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:03 AM   #3
patrickkbyte

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdawg View Post
The BES installer will create the database for you.
Hello at all,

my situatoin:
SBS2003 with SP2, Exchange 2003 SP2, BESx 4.1.3 to be installed.

First of all, I created the BESAdmin User and set the permissions.

Unfortunately, the BES-Setup fails: the setup is not able to create the MSSQL$BESMGMT instance. I also tried to set it up manually using a new MSDE instance... it also failed.

Now, I installed Microsoft SQL Management 2005 and don't know, how to set up an new SQL instance.

Can you help me?

Thank you very much and
Best Regards,

patrick
Old 09-23-2007, 07:22 AM   #4
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Do you currently have SQL Server installed on this SBS Server? If so, use that instance to install the BESMgmt database to. If you do not and / or it isn't a part of the SBS version you have , download MSDE2000 Release A (google it) and you'll need to run the installer from the command prompt with the following command string:

setup.exe SAPWD=SAPasswordThatyoupick

The installer will go through quietly ... then when you do the BES install, use local for the database location name (but remember you already have SQL installed at this time so no need to install MSDE) (You can also download MSDE 2000 SP4 if you want)

Then, download and install DbaMgr2K to manage the MSDE instance
Old 09-23-2007, 07:35 AM   #5
patrickkbyte

Hello hdawg,

many thanks for your answer.

Well, the SBS 2003 Standard has an SQL-Server onboard, but I don't know, whether it is in use or not.

Actually, the COMPANYWEB and the SHAREPOINT-Services use some SQL-Databases, but I cannot analyse, if it's provided by MSDE or the built-in SQL-Server (2000 I guess??)

I found the "dedicated" installation string on Chris Dalby Blog » Blog Archive » Installing MSDE on SBS for Blackberry Enterprise Server, but the Log-File sais, the installation failed...

Quote:
setup INSTANCENAME=xxx8221;BESMgmtxxx8221; SAPWD=xxx8221;AStrongSAPwdxxx8221; /L*v C:\MSDELog.log

Last edited by patrickkbyte; 09-23-2007 at 07:36 AM..
Old 09-23-2007, 07:43 AM   #6
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

I bet this is probably due to the fact that an MSDE instance is already installed ...

if you go to the Services Control Panel applet do you see an MSSQLServer service?
Old 09-23-2007, 07:57 AM   #7
patrickkbyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdawg View Post
I bet this is probably due to the fact that an MSDE instance is already installed ...

if you go to the Services Control Panel applet do you see an MSSQLServer service?
Well, in services.msc I see two SQL services:
MSSQL$SBSMONITORING
MSSQL$SHAREPOINT

The taskmanager contains the entry: SQLMANGR.EXE

I also guess, this is MSDE.

So, how can I add another MSDE-Instance? Where is my mistake?

Thank you very much!

Last edited by patrickkbyte; 09-23-2007 at 08:21 AM..
Old 09-24-2007, 03:46 AM   #8
yellowpark

Model: 8900
Carrier: vodafone

Hi Patrick
following my article should resolve this. The MSSQL$SBSMONITORING and
MSSQL$SHAREPOINT instances are create by SBS and use MSDE. You need to create a new instance for BES to use. Follow the steps in the articleusing the SBS CD 3 files or download.

Chris Dalby Blog » Blog Archive » Installing MSDE on SBS for Blackberry Enterprise Server

Let me know how you get on
Chris Dalby

Last edited by yellowpark; 09-24-2007 at 03:48 AM.. Reason: dded name to post
Old 09-24-2007, 01:44 PM   #9
jrbes
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular

I have always been told that you have to run the "createdb.exe" to get the database to load at all - has that been done on your SQL server?
Old 10-10-2007, 02:28 PM   #10
ewukow77

Model: 8320

Hi,

I am having the same issues as patrickbyte. I initially ran the BES install, and it failed to create a new instance of MSDE. So I tried to create a new instance manually which failed. I stumbled across Chris Dalby's Blog outlining exactly what I had done. My issue is that every time I try to create a new instance of MSDE on SBS 2003 the install fails which is documented in the log. I am able to install an instance 0n 2003 server standard and Windows XP; however SBS 2003 constantly fails. I am hoping that someone can provide some insight into this issue. Until I get past this I am unable to complete the BES install. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:57 PM   #11
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

So ... instead of trying to create a new instance of MSDE ... why not just use the default on that already exists on the server?
Old 10-10-2007, 03:36 PM   #12
ewukow77

Two instances can be found on the server, MSSQL$SHAREPOINT which uses WMSDE and MSSQL$SBSMONITORING using MSDE. Only MSDE instances will work with BES, and I am assuming that MSSQL$SBSMONITORING is a system database that cannot be used for BES without effecting performance. Is there another default instance, and if there is how do I find its name in order to point the BES install to it?

Thanks
Old 10-10-2007, 03:53 PM   #13
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

If you open the control panel services applet (Start > Run > services.msc <enter>) you'll see a list of MSSQL services there.

Each instance adds additional load on the server ... however try this:

setup.exe INSTANCENAME=BlackBerry SAPWD="strongpwd" SECURITYMODE=sql

and it should install a service MSSQL$BlackBerry ... and your DB will be BESMgmt

So your server would be localhost\BlackBerry and database BESMgmt. I hate sql instances; nice concept but they just cause problems.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:00 PM   #14
ewukow77

I agree instances are a problem, at least when it involves SBS. I tried what you recommended and I experienced the exact same problem. The instance begins to install, and when it is near completion the thing it rolls back the install and reports the error in the log. I just don't know what can be causing this.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:05 PM   #15
ewukow77

I just wanted to update this post for anyone who may have this problem in the future, and judging from the number of posts I have found someone will. When running SBS 2003 server you must have Microsoft .Net framework version 2.0 and 3.0 installed in order to create a new instance of MSDE. As soon as I updated the framework I was able to create the instance. Hope this helps.

Eric
Old 10-12-2007, 05:03 PM   #16
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewukow77 View Post
I just wanted to update this post for anyone who may have this problem in the future, and judging from the number of posts I have found someone will. When running SBS 2003 server you must have Microsoft .Net framework version 2.0 and 3.0 installed in order to create a new instance of MSDE. As soon as I updated the framework I was able to create the instance. Hope this helps.

Eric
Is there a KB Article or Support note you've found some where that indicates this? I'd like to have it in my back pocket.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:47 PM   #17
ewukow77

I found a KB article on the Blackberry site. At the very bottom the Additional Information section explains the need for .Net framework 2.0 and 3.0. I hope this comes in handy for you one day. KB11232

BlackBerry Search Results
Old 10-15-2007, 02:52 PM   #18
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Nice; thank you!
Old 10-25-2007, 05:33 PM   #19
arell12
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

I had the same problem (BES install would not create DB and there was already Sharepoitn and BACKIPEXEC BD's) but after reading this thread and looking at the services that I had running I found that my MSSQLSERVER service was not running, I am not sure if this was something that I accidentally stopped but it was set to start automatically. Once I started that service I was able to create the DB.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:46 AM   #20
lozstlouis

Model: 9000
Carrier: Vodafone UK

So I have has a mare getting BES 4.1.4 running on an SBS 2003 box that also had Backup exec 11d installed. This then puts SQL 2005 Express in and this hijacks most of the SQL instances. I uninstalled BE 11d and then did:

1. Locate the MSDE files on the SBS 2003 CD 3 or download from Microsoft.
2. Open a command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd -> clickOK).
3. On the Command Prompt, change to the directory where the MSDE files are located e.g. cd D:\SBS\MONITOR\MSDE
4. Enter the following command to create the new instance:

setup INSTANCENAME=”BESMgmt” SAPWD=”AStrongSAPwd” /L*v C:\MSDELog.log

5. Start the service: Start -> Run -> Services.msc -> Click OK. Scroll down to the instance you just created MSSQL$BESMGMT, select and click start service.
6. Check the log file to make sure everything installed correctly at C:\MSDELog.log

Then:

1. In Control Panel, open the Services tool, and then stop MSSQLSERVER and all other related services (such as SQLSERVERAgent).
2. On the Start menu, click Run, type regedt32, and then click OK to start Registry Editor.
3. Locate either of the following subkeys (depending on whether you installed MSDE as the default MSDE instance or as a named instance):
• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSSqlserver\ MSSqlServer\

-or-
• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\Instance Name\MSSQLServer\
4. In the right pane, double-click the LoginMode subkey.
5. In the DWORD Editor dialog box, set the value of this subkey to 2, verify that the Hex option is selected, and then click OK.
6. Restart the MSSQLSERVER service and the SQLSERVERAgent service for this change to take effect.

This then installed the BES database ok. But syntax was key to it all:

If MSSQL$BESMGMT is your MSDE instance then the server syntax in the install has to be <machinename\BESMGMT> for the "server name". The rest the installer should pick up. I was thrown by the port number as it was set to dynamic in the registry and the installer choose 1433 (default SQL port). Anyway after a good 24 hour head scratch its running now! Phew...

Oh yes - yet to reinstall BE 11d....