BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 12:54 AM   #1
artemis104
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: NA
PIN: N/A
Carrier: NA
Default how can i tell if im using my carrier's browser or the hosted bes browser?

Please Login to Remove!

Im using hosted BES and I read that when you begin using hosted BES you will have two browsers, the Internet Browser provided by your carrier and one from the hosted BES. I still only have one though.

instead of being called 'Internet Browser' it is now called just Browser. I went to 'show all icons' to make sure a second browser is not there and just hidden and there really is just the one browser (aside from the wap browser from my carrier as well). How do I know if that browser is the original Internet Browser that was on my BB prior to getting hosted BES or if it is the hosted BES one? I set my 'default browser' under options to be the Internet Browser and not the hosted BES browser - does this mean when I start up the browser I am using the Internet Browser and not the hosted BES one?

Last edited by artemis104; 06-03-2007 at 12:57 AM..
Old 06-03-2007, 03:54 AM   #2
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis104 View Post
Im using hosted BES and I read that when you begin using hosted BES you will have two browsers, the Internet Browser provided by your carrier and one from the hosted BES. I still only have one though.

instead of being called 'Internet Browser' it is now called just Browser. I went to 'show all icons' to make sure a second browser is not there and just hidden and there really is just the one browser (aside from the wap browser from my carrier as well). How do I know if that browser is the original Internet Browser that was on my BB prior to getting hosted BES or if it is the hosted BES one? I set my 'default browser' under options to be the Internet Browser and not the hosted BES browser - does this mean when I start up the browser I am using the Internet Browser and not the hosted BES one?
I hate that too! Unfortunately, I don't know if there's any easy way to tell which Browser you're using.

I do know that the BlackBerry Browser routes through the BES (I assume if you're a BIS user, you won't even have that option), and the WAP browser routes through your Provider's network (at least with Cingular/AT&T).

You set the default browser under ( Settings/Tools --> ) Options --> Advanced Options --> Browser.

If you create a bookmark, you can specify which browser the bookmark uses.

If you're entering a URL with the Go To menu option, you can Click the Menu button and select Change Browser to insure you're using the one you want.

Let me know if you ever find the BlackBerry Browser icon!

Old 06-03-2007, 08:34 AM   #3
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryD View Post

If you're entering a URL with the Go To menu option, you can Click the Menu button and select Change Browser to insure you're using the one you want.

I've never seen the option to "change browser" or to select which browser a bookmark uses. Not only have I never seen, I've never heard of it. Perhaps these are options on some of the most recent models?

In the end, 9 times out of 10, it doesn't matter which browser you're using. There are a very few mobile websites that require the specific use of one or the other. As far as the icon goes, if you've activated BES, you'll have two web icons. One has a badge (BES) and the other does not (BIS). If you want to ensure you're using the one you prefer, manually open the browser using the appropriate icon on your home screen and surf from there.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:15 PM   #4
artemis104
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdpmumin View Post
I've never seen the option to "change browser" or to select which browser a bookmark uses. Not only have I never seen, I've never heard of it. Perhaps these are options on some of the most recent models?

In the end, 9 times out of 10, it doesn't matter which browser you're using. There are a very few mobile websites that require the specific use of one or the other. As far as the icon goes, if you've activated BES, you'll have two web icons. One has a badge (BES) and the other does not (BIS). If you want to ensure you're using the one you prefer, manually open the browser using the appropriate icon on your home screen and surf from there.
Thats the thing, although Im activated on BES I don't have two web icons. I know there are two browsers (BIS and BES) as if I go to the options I can set the default browser and it lists the BIS one and the BES one but I don't have two web icons. I went to 'show all' to ensure that the second one is not just hidden but it really isnt there.

I do have the option to set a default browser so i set it as the BIS one and not the BES one so i hope when i surf i go through the BIS one by default. i just have the one web icon that is called 'Browser' (used to be Internet Browser but is now just Browser)

Last edited by artemis104; 06-03-2007 at 12:18 PM..
Old 06-03-2007, 12:17 PM   #5
artemis104
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryD View Post
I hate that too! Unfortunately, I don't know if there's any easy way to tell which Browser you're using.

I do know that the BlackBerry Browser routes through the BES (I assume if you're a BIS user, you won't even have that option), and the WAP browser routes through your Provider's network (at least with Cingular/AT&T).

You set the default browser under ( Settings/Tools --> ) Options --> Advanced Options --> Browser.

Ok so i'm not the only one on BES too who cant see both web icons! I did set the default browser to Internet Browser (BIS) as opposed to the Hosted BES browser. So I hope when i click Browser im using the BIS browser by default.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:59 PM   #6
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Wirelessly posted (VZW 8703e: BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Does your browser icon have the badge or not? I've seen reports of the BIS browser icon being missing because the provider didn't properly provision the account.

Now a question: why does it matter? Why would you prefer the BIS browser over the BES browser. Neither provodes benefits over the other. Most of the time it makes no difference at all. No savings in data usage, no noticeable difference in speed (although BES should be faster).
Old 06-03-2007, 03:58 PM   #7
artemis104
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Wirelessly posted (VZW 8703e: BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Does your browser icon have the badge or not? I've seen reports of the BIS browser icon being missing because the provider didn't properly provision the account.

Now a question: why does it matter? Why would you prefer the BIS browser over the BES browser. Neither provodes benefits over the other. Most of the time it makes no difference at all. No savings in data usage, no noticeable difference in speed (although BES should be faster).
No it doesnt. Now that I'm on hosted BES i still have the original BIS browser icon but instead of being called 'internet browser' it is simply 'browser.' When I click it i dont know which browser it is. there are definitely two browsers b/c when i go to options --> default browser the BES and BIS ones are both listed.

I guess it doesnt make a big difference which one i use if there is no saving in data usage but I'd prefer to be using the BIS one.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:50 PM   #8
joemz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Not 100% positive on this, but here's what I think I know about the browser issue.

If you use the BB browser (BES), you're essentially able to get to the company websites as if you were on a laptop in the office. BUT, if I use the BB browser, with my companies rules, I can't get to gmail or hotmail, just like I couldn't get to them if I were on a laptop in the office.

So, I set my default browser to Internet (not BES) so I can get to all kinds of sites, and for the limited times I want a company web site, I set it up for the BB browser
Old 06-03-2007, 07:47 PM   #9
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

(This repeats some info already stated in the thread)

Quote:
The BES/MDS browser is named Blackberry Browser. The non-BES browser is named Internet Browser or Browser. However, on 4.2 devices there's one icon for the Blackberry Browser and Internet Browser and you can choose which one you're using via the Go To screen in the Browser (open the menu and select Change Browser).

Quote:
I've never seen the option to "change browser" or to select which browser a bookmark uses.
It's only on 4.2 devices which is why you haven't seen it (no 4.2 for the 8703e).

Quote:
Now a question: why does it matter? Why would you prefer the BIS browser over the BES browser. Neither provodes benefits over the other.
Not quite. As has been stated, Blackberry Browser offers VPN access which does matter to some. Blackberry Browser does not work with parts of mobile.blackberry.com. I'd guess that some people wouldn't want to be restricted by BES/MDS restrictions, in which case the choice of browser would matter. Though in the end it doesn't matter much if you're on a company BES-connected BB. There are definitely reasons to use one or the other. Nothing major in most cases but they do exist and you have to determine if they're relevant to your particular situation.

Quote:
I guess it doesnt make a big difference which one i use if there is no saving in data usage but I'd prefer to be using the BIS one.
In your case (hosted BES) there's virtually no difference from your perspective. If you're visiting mobile.blackberry.com use the Internet Browser but that's about it...

Last edited by takeshi; 06-03-2007 at 07:55 PM..
Closed Thread